Malazan Empire: From Steven Erikson - with gratitude to you all. - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

From Steven Erikson - with gratitude to you all.

#101 User is offline   bobbo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

From the bottom of my crusty, dark heart I would like to thank Steve and Cam for bringing me so much joy, happiness, laughs and downright mind-blowing moments. THANK YOU GUYS!!! I sacrifice a lamb to Lord Hood every new moon in your names. Ha ha.

Seriously, thank you for every sarcastic soldier we meet, every hoary, old Jaghut, every mysterious Tiste, every weary Imass and every hilarious ghost we encounter. Hell, thanks for everyone (even the fickle gods). Thanks for every new land, city or town we get to explore. Thank you for every epic battle we get to witness. Thank you so much Steven Erikson. I can't believe it's going end :) (well, hopefully not!)

It's all so bittersweet...

This post has been edited by bobbo: 03 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

"Hey champ, what has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap?... Bob Kelso, how you doing?"

#102 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

All the posts before mine have used up the supply of superlatives for the forum. And they've expressed everything I wanted to say, in some cases as or more eloquently than I could have hoped to.

All that's left is Valley-speak. So, Mr Erikson, you totally, like, rock, y'know?

And what's more, we fantasy fans can look forward from this point to see a time where authors, challenged by the complexity and density of what you have produced, go on to try to match it, inspired by your example. What riches lie in store for us then? I look forward to discovering them, knowing as all your readers do that we were witnesses to the germination of a style of fantasy writing that will only bear its most succulent fruit in the generations to come.

And is that not a legacy of which to be most proud?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#103 User is offline   nuclearsapper 

• Recruit

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

I must needs input:

The first book I read in the series was bought for me as an anniversary present from my wife. I actually started with Memories of Ice. I chose it, because the first two books were sold out at that bookstore, and because it was a really thick book and I wanted something to last me a while. As you can imagine, the length of the book belied the length of time it took me to polish the book off. From start to finish it was one of the most fantastic journeys I'd ever taken. Completely brutal and gory at all the appropriate moments with a depth and complexity beyond even Lord of the Rings, and that's a difficult thing to say. The characters were fantastic. Every moment epic. Frodo may have marched hundreds of miles to toss a ring into an active volcano, but he wasn't present at the seige of Capustan.

[insert more fanatical rambling here]

Anyway, Erikson may never top the bestsellers list, but that's a dubious accolade at best. When fourteen year old girls are reading his books with zeal, it's an indication that he took a wrong turn, somewhere. Fantastic books from start to finish. I doubt I will ever pick up anything as complex and epic as this series again.

#104 User is offline   hunterslick 

• Recruit

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

its been a long journey,all be it a very enjoyable one,these books will always be part of our lives forever,people have grown with them and from book one have identified with characters,gone trough the high points with them and endured the low points,laughed,cried,screamed roared and sometimes became so involved in the story life just passed us by,,

now that is the work of a true master of his art.

all my malazan books will be passed to my kids,and im proud to say,in online games i play,iv converted friends to read your books,some of my cities are named after your books/characters,and people ask about there names,

thank you so very much for these books,and enjoy your well earned break,

lots of respect from the kings county,emerald isle,,

kieran

This post has been edited by hunterslick: 20 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

#105 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I can only thank Mr. Erikson for this series. The Malazan books are some of my favourite books, and Erikson is my favourite author. He's made me laugh, he's made me wince, he's even got me closer to crying than any other book has. He's made me think, and he's inspired me in many ways. 

I eagerly await the final book of the series.

#106 User is offline   Annomandaris purake 

• knight of darkness

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:26 AM

True greatness in all art forms is very rarely know within the lifetime of the creator! Can't be a hundred percent sure but I dout Tolkien was as popular when he first released tlotr as he is today! Can't wait to read the last 1 just so I can start again (again and again) and know the direction the series is goin. Hope to here of more releases soon best of luck.

#107 User is offline   sappers rule 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:love reading

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

Just like to say got your books moths ago hooked ever since. Like to a say Thank u soo much!!!!!!

you better write more as u are a brill writer and enjoyed the series sooooo mauh

your loyal subect rpg:respect:

#108 User is offline   Goldeneyes 

• Recruit

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

Simply, Thanks You.
Is this the story of Johnny Rotten?

#109 User is offline   tsr 

• Recruit

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

I think it is ucommon to find such sincere sentiment in an author, and to have it expressed both in a personal forum like this, and in his writing.

Thank you Steven. It is pricessless.

Regards,
Thomas G. Hale Sr.
Social Deviation - Founder
Avid SE Fan

#110 User is offline   tigerhino 

• Recruit

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

I have been reading fantasy longer than most of you have been alive, and I always gauge the impact of a book on how I remember the experience. If The actual reading of the book calls forth memories of where I was, what I was doing, who I was with...then it was some powerful stuff. I have a crystal clear recollection of sitting in a radio station remote van, a thunderstorm banging celestial kettle drums outside while sheets of rain made it impossible to see through the windshield of the van (which was parked by the way). I had twenty minutes before the first remote break so cracked open a book I had just snagged titled "Gardens of the Moon". Immediately I was sucked in. Don't believe me? Ask the radio station engineer back in the control room who had to figure out what to do when I didn't call in for the remote break....or the NEXT one. The book had it's claws in my brain and thank God it has never released. And here you are, Mr. Erikson, thanking US? Really? That is so cute. Thank you, my friend, for the most remarkable, thrilling, illuminating reading experience of my life.

#111 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

The Malazan series is equal to The Lord of the Rings to me, and betters The Wheel of Time.

Memories of Ice may just be my all time favourite fantasy novel. You floored me with that.

So you have my sincerest thanks Steven Erikson.

#112 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

I just finished book 10 2 days ago and took these 48 hrs to take a deep breath and mourn the loss. I picked up Gardens of the moon with that great cover art (with Sorry on the cover) at a sale table at Chapters, - best $4.99 I ever spent and the Canadain dollar was low at that time. When I was going on an army exercise I bought a paper copy so I wouldn't damage it (unfortunately 39 pages were missing but just gave me an excuse to reread later). I did not realize how my literary life (in the meaning of book worm) would be changed forever. Everywhere I went and knew I had a wait (hairdresser, doctor appt etc) people would comment on the size of the book and when I would say, oh this is just 1 of 10 just like it, people were blown away with the scope. Truly I would read another couple of million words. I want to thank Mr Erikson for the laughter, the tears, the anger, the romance and the dogs, and not to mention the new vocabulary both colourful and intelligent. Come on, how many of us had to get the dictionary out to find out what a word meant? I know I feel smarter. You honour us with the depth and understanding of the human condition. Thank you so much.
ps - thanks for keeping Hellian around

#113 User is offline   Wanderer 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Music, Photography, Guitar, Film and TV and large and copious amounts of alcohol.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Many have expressed their thanks in ways I can't even begin to.

I shall simply say this - Steven, you gave us a gift. A gift that will not get relegated to the attic and sold at a car-boot sale or taken back to the store and refunded for something else. A gift that we did not receive with a feigned smile and a sinking heart but openly full of glee and excitment. You gave us your work, that has touched myself and others in ways that even I haven't fully realised yet. You remind me the favoured Uncle giving the kids far too many sweets when the parents aren't looking. Surely we misbehaved too much to receive a present this good? :lol:

We are in your debt.

( Maybe it wasn't so simple after all...)

#114 User is offline   volafox 

• Recruit
  • Interests:books, culinary arts, a bit of gardening, all this when I'm not in school, sword collecting, tending to various animals, or working

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Mr. Erikson,
I feel so deeply honored to have read your series, and I am constantly in awe of just how intricate your work is. I was always a voracious reader, and even at the age of 12, I was rated as a Junior College Level reading capacity. I devoured mythologies, histories, and soon, delved into horror and the likes until I grew into science fiction and fantasy. Yours sir, is a work without equal, and I will cherish each book as a treasure of art and wisdom. Your world even helped me cope with my Mother's death two years ago! I thought seriously about writing, and have scribbled a few short stories in answer to the dross that floods today's market, but when I began to read your work; I could never, ever hope to obtain such a degree of mastery as yours. You have earned your respite from the journey past, Master Writer...even if I like many others so wish for more. I bow before you.
With all my heart,

Pamela

#115 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

I've cried, laughed hysterically, and thought deeper than I thought I could about the only true high epic fantasy series I have ever read. All the other pale in comparison. I have never loved as many characters who I should have hated in my life. Thank you for making me a Fantasy convert. This will someday be thought of as a classic, no matter how non-mainstream it is now, and then I will look back and know that this series deserves more recognition than it gets

This post has been edited by Azathmaster: 26 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#116 User is offline   dimeolas 

• Recruit

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

...only been reading a few months now...but let me say that for the first time in years I make time to get into a fantasy novel. This has been the most difficult time in my life but having an escape at times is wonderfull. You seem a humble guy so pardon the praise. I find this series to be ...for my taste...the most enjoyable fantasy ive ever read, and ive been reading them off and on since 1975. If you do ever sit and wonder about it all know that you have done so very well. Fantasy has changed since Tolkien, it has grown up and expanded and its because of authors like you. There is a movie to be made here, for all the junk fantasy films that are out there, yours would be a light in that darkness. Also think it would be a great setting for an online MMO. In any case sir if you happen to read this Thankyou, masterfully done.
Dimeolas
dimeolas

This post has been edited by dimeolas: 07 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

#117 User is offline   The White Crow 

• Recruit

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

To both Steven & Ian,

Where does one begin? Speaking as someone who cannot stop reading the series entire, I have never touched a work so well done. Scope, character, perception, you met, passed, and exceeded any and all expectation... The Malazan series most certainly changed me. Can one borrow wisdom? Too many tears, moments when I bark a laugh to the silence of the room, or a sage nod to Karsa Orlongs' proclamations of society.

Compare as you will, I have dabbled in several of these series you think you don't stand beside, but you have surpassed them all in my mind. You both have my most heartfelt thanks for providing me with a series which others have yet to reach.

Finally, Steven, of course you will be in the shadows eh!

#118 User is offline   Emancipor Reese 

• Elemental Force

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

I know its 10years later since you sent this message and I realise you probably wont read this but Fuck Tolkien and Jordan and all the rest(exept maybe GrrM) you blow them away without a second thought for me.Yours is for adults and dare I say it cleverish peeps while most of the other authors in this genre are dumbed down cheesy 80s action movie style predictable monotony eg: Gemmell,. You(+ICE) and GrrM are a class above and beyond my friend no fears on that and hopefully some couragous show producer will grab yere stories by the balls and bring them to the masses.

This post has been edited by Emancipor Reese: 14 February 2020 - 05:31 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users