• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cell Phones

#1 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Don't hate me Tehol!

No, seriously, thinking about getting a new smartphone in the next couple months.

Do I grab the Samsung Galaxy S, the Droid X, or the HTC Evo? If the Galaxy S, which (US) Carrier have you had the best network strength/speed with?

Help me out here!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#2 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

Haha, no worries I don't hate you Obdi. In fact I've been considering switching from the iphone to one of the other smart phones when my contract is up in four months. Shocking I know!!! I've said all along that I don't just blindly buy mac products because they are trendy. When I bought the iPhone, in my mind it was the best phone out there, much better than the black berry which was the only comparable product at the time. However I'm not overly impressed with the newest version of the iPhone it's lacking some improvements I'd hoped they were going to make, and as you say there are other smart phones with a ton of features coming out now. So I will seriously consider all of them before deciding which phone I go with in the end. The only thing I will miss if I do deviate from the iphone is the compatibility with all of my other mac products, but I'm pretty sure most of these smart phones are compatible with both Mac and PC, or I hope they are anyways.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'd say HTC are probably the best bet at the moment... Android phones are generally very good.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

i'm also looking at a new phone and am having the same thoughts...but not being on a contract means there is like a 50-100 pound difference in price between the htc desire and the new galaxy(which also wont be released in SA)... this being said the phone is still like half price compared to if i get it back home.

the desire is looking like the phone for me at the moment i would say
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#5 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

I ditched my iPhone for the desire a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. The iphone is a nice entry level smart phone, good for learning on but eventually you will want to switch to android.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

HTC Evo looks... wow. Can't wait for availability in my shitty country (4G networks in 3 years :p )
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#7 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

I don't get why they're called smartphones when everybody looks like a dumb fucking chimp poking, frowning and squinting at them for hours on end.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#8 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 30 June 2010 - 11:25 AM, said:

I don't get why they're called smartphones when everybody looks like a dumb fucking chimp poking, frowning and squinting at them for hours on end.

because niext to the person doing the poking and stuff they look REALLy smart?
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#9 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I have no real deire to own one of these.

They have converted too many of my friends into fanatic email checkers and topic of conversation steers far to often to whatever dumbass app they jailbreaked onto the the thing the day before.

Plus it infuritates me every time I have to walk out of the way of somebody on the sidewalk because they're too engrossed in their "smartphone" to look up and politely share the space. Makes me want to bat the thing out of their hand into the street every time.

@Obdi

The answer is easy. Ditch the smartphone, save yourself the ludicrous subscription charge and buy something awesome with the savings - like a power tool or a motorbike.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#10 User is offline   KallorsUnusedMoisturiser 

• Corporal

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

I picked up an HTC Desire because i couldn't afford the one-off payment and monthly fee of the iPhone. Happy to say I wasn't disappointed by it. Not got the app choice of the iPhone, and the internet can be a bit slow sometimes, but that's it. Doesn't mean i can use the damn thing properly without swearing and walking into walls mind you.
"You better watch out pal, I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!"
"You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?"
"....No!"

#11 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I'm ditching my Palm Pre next month for an EVO.

#12 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

I have a Desire. It's great - huge, beautiful screen and super fast. Plus the google-integration is fantastic. The one (and unfortunately it's a pretty big one) flaw is that the battery life is terrible. It's not a huge issue for me, since I'm very rarely away from something with a USB port, but it could be a problem for some people. I get about a day of charge, although that includes some fairly heavy usage.

The Desire is a GSM phone though and hasnt made its way stateside yet. It's a pretty tight race between the phones that are available in the US, at the end of the day it will probably boil down to which carrier has the best signal in your specific area.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#13 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

When i buy a cell phone i go for durability and durability only.

Is it waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and can i converse on it?

"As far as i'm concerned technology peaked with frozen pizza".
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

New iPhone is sucking on so many levels at the moment. The people I know who got it have had loads of different issues. The people I know who got the Desire absolutely love the thing. Also, with the battery life on Android phone I merely changed how often it would check for emails and facebook/twitter private messages and it did the world of good. I have the Motorola DEXT which is slightly less sweet than a Desire but still runs pretty well.

Also my mate has the Samsung HD or i8910 and that is one cool phone.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

You can play with the update settings to extend the battery life a bit. I think the main reason my battery life isn't great is because the 3G signal where I live isn't too good. A lot of people on the internet report up to two days battery life on their Desires.

The phone has actually replaced my laptop in a lot of instances, it's way easier to just do something off my phone than have to unpack and start up my laptop.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#16 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

So I got the Galaxy S Tmobile version, the 'Vibrant', and I have to say it is amazingly awesome in every single way.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#17 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

I'll get an Android once my Blackberry, or Crackberry as its called by my friends, is dead. The damn thing has broken so many times "faint rain, HA, rollerball shall now fail".
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#18 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

I think we need to coin a new term for the vacant face that smartphone users invariably adopt the second they start using the thing

Cause, I swear its like the phone sucks the brain out of the user for a short time, eyes grow dull, mouth goes slack, head nods forward, ears stop functioning and all awareness of surroundings completely disappears.

Any suggestions?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

I suspect I am risking several relationships based on my sworn habit of ceasing speaking and walking away from people who check their phone mid-conversation.

Darn.

I'm a big fan of the blackberry products as a tried and tested smartphone alternative. If you're gunning for apps obviously s-phones make more sense, but for the basics of effective phone, email and browsing without fiddling with a dozen other things, bberry makes me happy, altho i do wish the GPS features were better.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist
  • Interests:cooking, wine, beer, reading, music, hockey & football

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

I like my iPhone 3GS. I got a sweet deal and an awesome plan, so I have no complaints.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users