• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Videogames Thread

#141 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

When Mario was busy single-handedly building the videogames industry, more pressing concerns than gaming consoles for my parents were, like, meeting ends from month to month. I had some LEGO blocks, tho.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#142 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

View PostAptorian, on 12 July 2010 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 12 July 2010 - 07:58 AM, said:

I never played any of them and I don't really intend to. Looks kinda gay. I guess nintendo's style ain't mine, as I don't like mario either.

You don't like Zelda or Mario? You must be dead inside.

By chance did you never play any mario during your childhood? I think a big part of the love for the old Nintendo franchises is that they are 20+ years old, meaning almost all gamers, young or old, have experienced the characters and their adventures during their childhoods.

Zelda I could perhaps understand, since each game is pretty much the same game only with a different background story.

But Mario? There's been so many iterations. Those games are designed to be platforming fun. Mario has always been on the forefront of that stuff. Substituting realism with simple cartoon characters and brilliant level design.

I am itching to buy a Wii just so that I could try out Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

EDIT:

On another note, I really, really, really, wish the gaming community would stop using the term "gay" as a derogative. It irks me every time I see it. It enhances the stereotype in the younger generations that homosexuals are "bad" and that homosexuality embodies a host of unwanted characteristics.

Every time I hear some calling people a fag or gay on MW2 I feel like reaching through the internet and stabbing them in the liver.

You don't run around calling people Nigger or Jew in games do you?

Well, if you play on Xbox Live, you hear the last two a lot more than you might expect. Mostly from 12 year olds who shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.
I think the difference is still one of application though. If I say "Oh man, that was so mean!" I don't mean it was cruel. I mean it was awesome. If I say "that game is so gay!" I don't mean it's homosexual. I mean it's stupid. The point is that the word 'gay' is a derogatory term in and of itself. The fact that it's primary use as such originated in relation to homosexuals doesn't mean that it still holds as such. If I say "Oh man, you're gay? That means I hate you!" then yes, that's derogatory. If I say "Hey, Apt over there is gay." it has no negative connotations, and certainly not the same connotations as "That game is gay".
However, in much the same way that 'Nigger' was once heard all over the place, and now isn't (except in certain communities where it is deemed acceptable), I expect that eventually the word 'gay' will die out/morph away from what it presently means. And, fyi, some people still use the phrase "He's such a Jew" to indicate someone who is tight with their money, the only reason you don't hear it in games so much is because the kids aren't old enough to use it (and it isn't really much of an insult, now, is it?).

OT: Mario I played as a kid, and it was fine...but not as good as nostalgia seems to make it for some people. But I probably came late to the party, somewhat.
Zelda just never appealed to me. Ever. I don't really know why. Still doesn't.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#143 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

this is what I mean when I called Link gay. Maybe should've used terms like fag to differentiate these from solid, respectable guys like Elton John or Ian McKellan. Or just "pansy".
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#144 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

View PostGothos, on 12 July 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

[...] solid, respectable guys like Elton John [...]

Wait, what?

This post has been edited by Brynjar: 12 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

Legalise drugs! And murder!

#145 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Started Borderlands. Level 20. Loving it.

Also, Zelda is the shit. (Link included.)
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#146 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

If you like it at level 20 when your just starting out, just wait, it gets soooo much better.

Hit level 60 last night getting to the Armory of Knoxx. There is so many damn gun cases in that place its sick!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#147 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:37 AM

So many chests with guns... yet so little time. Posted Image

I was glad to see the Armory of General Knoxx dlc pack eliminated modded weapons. Things were out of control (and it took the fun out of the game) when one shot from an (unlimited ammo) modded handgun would vaporize Arch Guardians on the Eridian Promontory level...... what's the point?

Haven't played the game recently myself.... but had many hours of fun with Borderlands when it was released. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a FPS (with an Diablo vibe to it)

guns! guns! guns!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu0LJtbWBTg"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zu0LJtbWBTg[/url]

#148 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:03 AM

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games ever.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#149 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:30 AM

I actually prefer Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time, but I'm a filthy heathen, so don't mind me.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#150 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Trailer for a fake God of War indie movie

http://kotaku.com/55...kyline=true&s=i

It is awesome

#151 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:48 AM

View PostH.D., on 16 July 2010 - 05:03 AM, said:

I never got past the Temple of Shadow, but yeah, it was really good. I still think Okami is the greatest video game ever made though.

Borderlands is awesome. I got a Siren to 37, realized that I couldn't co-op with my roommate because it was under his profile, and started a new game as a Beserker. I'm already on Level 20 and the Beserker mode is ridiculously fun for me. Having trouble with a boss? No problem, cue the Hulk Rage up and go punch the shit out of the bad guys.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#152 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Just an fyi to anyone who hasnt seen it yet. But when you get to the armory of Knoxx, you can fall through the floor before you get to the entrance and have unlimited time in the armory and go back and do it as many times as you want.

My Soldier hit level 61 last night. Its almost cheating to have that scorpio turret. I have everything up on it and its like having another player out there.Posted Image
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#153 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostH.D., on 16 July 2010 - 05:03 AM, said:

Yes, it was. I never actually played Major's mask though, although I tried, but didn't have the expansion pack.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#154 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

I absolutely agree that Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever. Only hurting yourself if you aren't playing it because it is "gay."

On a side note, I just bought Borderlands today, along with the new xbox. My brother's xbox stopped working, not RRoD but just old, so I gave him mine and finally was able to justify buying the slim. Bought Borderlands as something cool to play on it, especially after hearing comments about it from here and other places on the internet. I had a chance to try it about a year ago on PC and liked it, so was just waiting for time to buy and play it.

edit: regarding Zelda, the only thing that sucked was the water temple. That was always hard, on Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, you name it. Majora' Mask was cool too, not as good imo, but still a lot of fun. I ended up collecting all the masks too, which took forever.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 17 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

#155 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

You should probably have waited a little while. I'm sure it can't be long before they release some kind of GOTY package with all the DLC included for the price of the original game.

I'm still happy I got both the Moxx and Knoxx DLC for 75% off during the steam sale.

#156 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 July 2010 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'm still happy I got both the Moxx and Knoxx DLC for 75% off during the steam sale.

Amen. God bless Steam sales.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#157 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

I'm not sure about Borderlands, played it a launch, got a character to level 14 then got bored. Started again recently, got a character to level 18 and now I'm bored of it again.

It just doesn't have the balls to the walls insane stuff that made D2 and HG:L (yes, HG:L was better than Borderlands) did right.

#158 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

At 18 you're still barely out of the starting areas. Wait untill you start to get some proper points in the talent tree's and the story picks up.

I played the game for the novelty of the combat design, awesome fire fights and the great humor.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything if I tell you that around the half way point a new opponent is suddenly introduced and a whole bunch of different and much more challenging and fun adversaries show up.

#159 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Don't worry about spoilers anyway, I've read up on most of the game.

Problem is, the skills are dull, for example, the soldier's sentry doesn't do jackshit damage to enemies my own level, so there's no point in using it.

Add to that the mouse smoothing issues that plague UE3. The only way I can play the game is to turn the in game mouse sensitivity right to the top, and the settings on my mouse to the bottom (100dpi, as opposed to usually gaming at 1600, and browsing at 3200).

This post has been edited by Veilside: 18 July 2010 - 08:53 AM

#160 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

I got me disciples 3, somewhat against my better judgement, but hey, you have to see for yourself if the game is still worth it.
Apart from higher-detail units, my current opinion (barely into the game) is that it is a one on one re-make. The whole tactical-map-thing is hardly worth it, just HOM&M style. The atmosphere is once again lovely, unhappy and heavy with impending doom.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users