what are the seguleh missing ?

#1 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

any guesses ?

my guess is dassem ultor/dessembrae.

since mok from MoI is number 3 and has 2 marks on his mask, that means that the number 2 has 1 mark, so either no marks is being the best, or
the clean maks is reserved to someone.
it's just a hunch.

#2 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

View Postharoos, on 10 May 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

any guesses ?

since mok from MoI is number 3 and has 2 marks on his mask, that means that the number 2 has 1 mark, so either no marks is being the best, or
it's just a hunch.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying in your post. Yes, the Seguleh First wears a pure white mask we've been told. Why does that mean they are looking for Dassem though? We don't have any information that he has any run-ins with any Seguleh. Perhaps they are looking for the Second, and perhaps Mok as well, but I don't know what else they could be looking for.

TtH Spoiler:
Spoiler

So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#3 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

any guesses ?

it's just a hunch.

There is a First, who is on the seguleh island. And Envy's suggestion that Mok was sent off due to the threat he posed, indicates that the First is just a man like Mok.

This post has been edited by anothevilbadguy: 10 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

#4 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

I think the
Spoiler

Someone confirm or refute, quotes would be awesome.

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 12 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

The Second was looking for Skinner, an Avowed commander of the Crimson Guard. His grudge with Skinner is of a personal nature, but we don't know why the 2nd is so pissed off.

We hear about this in Bonehunters and Toll the Hounds.

#6 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

View Postanothevilbadguy, on 10 May 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

any guesses ?

it's just a hunch.

There is a First, who is on the seguleh island. And Envy's suggestion that Mok was sent off due to the threat he posed, indicates that the First is just a man like Mok.

That's the way i have it as well. I am curious as well to what they are looking for though. I do agree with WJD in the
Spoiler
But i could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Or the second. Or third. Yep......

This post has been edited by The Seguleh 46th: 12 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:32 AM

im pretty sure that in tBH when the second busts in to the monastery where cutter and the rest are re-supplying, he mentions that the segulah were the tyrants army and the cabal the tyrants very own cabal.

although it could have been baruk in TtH. i know i'm remembering it from somewhere.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

It's from TBH. "Brilliant insanity!" Or some such.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

I did a thread on the Darujistan Tyrant way back in Bonehunters:

http://forum.malazan...h=1

BH p. 129:

Beru fend, he whispered. A Seguleh!
At that the soldier turned, then walked closer. Daru, you are far from home! Tell me, do the tyrants children still rule Darujistan?
Cutter shook his head.
You look crazed, mortal, what ails you?
I'd heard, I mean Seguleh usually say nothing to anyone. Yet you...
The fever zeal still grips my mortal kin, does it? Idiots! The tyrants army still holds sway in city, then?
Who? What? Darujistan is ruled by a council. We have no army.
Brilliant insanity! No Seguleh in the city?
No! Just stories. Legends, I mean.
So where are my masked stick-pivoting compatriots hiding?.
An island, it's said, far to the south, off the coast, beyond Morn-
Morn! Now the sense of it comes to me. They are being held in readiness. Darujistan's council, mages one and all, yes? Undying, secretive, paranoid mages! Crouching low lest the tyrant returns, as one day he must! Returns, looking for his army! Hah, a council!
That's not the council, sir, Cutter said. You are speaking of mages, that would be the T'horrud Cabal-
T'orrud! Yes, clever. Outrageous! Barukanal, Derudanith, Travalegrah, Mammoltenan? These names strike your soul, yes? I see it.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

I don't remember where I posted this before, but my hypothesis is that the Tyrant is perhaps a Forkrul Assail. This is because Seguleh sounds a lot like Sechul Lath, because they basically worship martial prowess including agility and precision, the rigidity of their society, and because their white masks could be based off of FA appearance. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the FA worldview produced a Tyrant of a different sort than Jaghut produce.

In addition (light spoilers from TTH and beyond):
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Mischiefs' Folly 

• Tanno Spiritwalker
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

IDK...
Oh, me and my endless folly!

#12 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

View Postworrywort, on 13 June 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

I don't remember where I posted this before, but my hypothesis is that the Tyrant is perhaps a Forkrul Assail. This is because Seguleh sounds a lot like Sechul Lath, because they basically worship martial prowess including agility and precision, the rigidity of their society, and because their white masks could be based off of FA appearance. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the FA worldview produced a Tyrant of a different sort than Jaghut produce.

In addition (light spoilers from TTH and beyond):
Spoiler

i thought the masks are a form of protection, preventing people from going into emotional states because they perceive facial expressions
as friendly or belligerent.
so a mask would prevent people from reacting on emotion.

#13 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

View PostAptorian, on 12 June 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

The Second was looking for Skinner, an Avowed commander of the Crimson Guard. His grudge with Skinner is of a personal nature, but we don't know why the 2nd is so pissed off.

We hear about this in Bonehunters and Toll the Hounds.

Thanks for the reply. I realized while reading RotCG last night that I had confused the two men.

I also started trying to remember the info the second releases about the island, which this thread answers nicely.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

[quote name='anothevilbadguy' date='10 May 2010 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1273516433' post='759946']
[quote name='haroos' date='10 May 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1273514530' post='759938']
any guesses ?
...[/quote]

Is the question what are they looking for when Iron bars and co encounter them?

because the answer is 'i dunno', but i like the 'to stop or restart the Tyrant theory'.

[quote There is a First, who is on the seguleh island. And Envy's suggestion that Mok was sent off due to the threat he posed, indicates that the First is just a man like Mok.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that even back in MoI Mok was sensitive to the warren magic poisoning Garath, fought Envy's sleep spell like a bastard, and beheaded a K'ell Hunter with no other apparent enhancement. Hints in TtH suggest Denul magic is being used to enhance the Seguleh somehow, but it could be a mislead.

[quote name='worrywort' date='13 June 2010 - 03:59 AM' timestamp='1276415982' post='771226']
I don't remember where I posted this before, but my hypothesis is that the Tyrant is perhaps a Forkrul Assail...
[/quote]

Not a rediculous theory. I've always assumed it was human, but really for no particular reason.
Jagut Tyrants seem to want to be worshipped as Gods, and nothing has suggested that the Darujhistan Tyrant King did that. Nothing up until RCG really suggests an Assail would set itself up over a human empire, but it's not unthinkable.

[quote name='haroos' date='14 June 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1276531033' post='771471']
... And of course Calm was freed several years back in the story, not that I think he personally is the Tyrant, but he would likely have an active interest. ...[/quote]

related to nothing but Calm was a 'she'.

[quote] i thought the masks are a form of protection, preventing people from going into emotional states because they perceive facial expressions
as friendly or belligerent.
so a mask would prevent people from reacting on emotion.
[/quote]

I thought more or less the same thing - 'only actions matter' kind of approach. tho it was funny how in MoI the Seguleh still communicated via eye contact and staring.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Yah, I forgot Calm was a she. But the mask thing...I'm talking about the appearance, not the function. Or a ceremonial function on top of a practical one. But then again, avoiding emotional outbursts/reactions/influences strikes me as possibly FA-like. They like to pretend they are purely rational.

But all in all, it was just a thought mostly related to the Seguleh/Sechul Lath thing and I think it would be cool, but I have no particular confidence that it's correct.

#16 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

I would guess its not an FA just because there was more than one Tyrant king after the original, and I believe the Second asks Cutter if the Tyrant's children are still ruling Darujhistan. He could have easily just meant inheritors but if not it seems to shoot down the FA theory. I believe Mammot talks at some point about the Tyrant Kings and never indicates that they weren't human.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#17 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 10 May 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

any guesses ?

it's just a hunch.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying in your post. Yes, the Seguleh First wears a pure white mask we've been told. Why does that mean they are looking for Dassem though? We don't have any information that he has any run-ins with any Seguleh. Perhaps they are looking for the Second, and perhaps Mok as well, but I don't know what else they could be looking for.

TtH Spoiler:
Spoiler

it's just that the seguleh are in many ways a cult-nation.
and as such, they must have a figurehead-god that they worship or look to for leadership.
and since they are centered around swordsmanship and not scholarship or magic, and they are also not attempting conquests, i can assume
that they are ... waiting ... for a que, a sign.
it's a theory, nothing more, but dessembrae is a fitting god of such a cult.
for obvious reasons.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

But he's little over a century old, and the Seguleh culture certainly is not.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 June 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

But he's little over a century old, and the Seguleh culture certainly is not.

... less than a thousand years old.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

You're a dang one-man encyclopedia.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users