• You cannot reply to this topic

Concerts Who have you seen live?

#21 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:31 AM

Used to go to lots of small venue gigs at home in Ireland, and unfortunately not many decent bands come all the way to the South Island of New Zealand.

Possibly the best gig i've ever seen was at Slane Castle in 1993, When PEARL JAM (just prior to the release of Vs), co-headlined with NEIL YOUNG. Neil Young is a music God! Pearl Jam were pretty awesome on the day too. The other support acts were VAN MORRISON (who was poor on the day) and THE SAWDOCTORS, an Irish novelty trad/pop act were were fantastic fun, and perfect for an open air gig.

Went back a few years later, when REM and OASIS were headliners, and was lucky enough to see Liam Gallagher get hit in the head by a flying shoe. REM were poor, OASIS were ok, but I wasn't there to see either of them. I was there to see BELLY (an offshoot of the early 90's Boston scene, Pixies etc), and SPEARHEAD, who were Michael Franti's vehicle at the time. SPEARHEAD were absolutely amazing, and totally hooked the crowd, before Oasis killed the vibe, and REM put people to sleep.

I generally prefer the smaller venues though and have been fortunate to see some great live acts.
THE FRAMES always put on a great live show.
Don't laugh, but I saw DAVID GRAY several times in the early 90's prior to his success and he was superb.
TINDERSTICKS may sound pretty morose when recorded, but put on one of the most amazing performances i've ever seen on a small stage. So much energy.
CALEXICO are always good value, and the brass section is great.
RODRIGO Y GABRIELA, I've seen a few times, as they've gone from tiny venues to playing festivals. If you get a chance to see them live, don't pass it up.

Here in New Zealand I haven't had a chance to see much, but 2 that i would recommend are THE MINT CHICKS (Whose music i'm not really a fan of, but put on a great show) and LIAM FINN who is amazing. I would heartily recommend LIAM FINN to anyone.

I am gutted though that i couldn't get up to Wellington last month to see NEKO CASE playing. I've heard several of her live recordings and she's great.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#22 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:53 AM

I was filthy that I missed out on seeing Chicane in Brisbane late last year. If I had known they were performing on Sunday 6th December, I would have started my leave earlier. As it was I only found out 3 days beforehand.

Gutted. :)

Also was too late for Faithless tickets a few years ago, by about 10 people. Goddamn scalpers scooped up 25% of the tickets it turned out. Not happy, Jan. :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#23 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

scalpers should be shot on sight
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#24 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

View PostGothos, on 22 February 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

scalpers should be shot on sight

Or we could be ironic about it and scalp them...
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#25 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Haha indeed, indeed. Since they're called "little horses" (roughly) here (and fuck me with a sledgerhammer if I know why they are), I don't feel bad about not suggesting this myself.
But yeah, should do that.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 22 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#26 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

I don't know how many concerts I've been to over the years, but some of the best ones (that I can remember) were:

Propagandhi
Social Distortion
Face to Face
Bad Religion (seen them about 7 times and they are always awesome)
Good Riddance
NoFX
No Use For a Name

Just listed a couple of the better ones that I figured you guys probably would have have heard of. I go to a lot of local shows... altogether I usually see about 10-15 a year.

#27 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

well, living in Syria doesn't give you many opportunities to go to concerts since many - well probably all - of my favorite bands doesn't even know where Syria is. But I've managed to go to a few ones overseas over the years
H.I.M
Mastodon - I can attest that these guys are awesome live...
Machine Head
Anathema
Metallica - probably the happiest day of my life so far - I shit you not - those guys are gods on stage!

and Anathema said they'll be in Syria next year so hopefully they'll stick true to their word...

oh and I shamefully admin that I went to a David Vandetta concert once - I say shamefully cause I think Techno should be purged off the earth- but the GF gets what the Gf wants...
When a man lies he murders
Some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation
Take me home
'James

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

I almost died at Big Day Out (Gold Coast) 1997.

On a completely unrelated note, if you ever have the opportunity to see Hugh Masekela live, take it. It's like a religious experience for your ears.

- Abyss, diverse.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Almost forgot my first concert. Me and Eddie Dean, 1991, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!!!!

You have no idea how awesome we were for going to that concert.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#30 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

I almost died at Big Day Out (Gold Coast) 1997.

On a completely unrelated note, if you ever have the opportunity to see Hugh Masekela live, take it. It's like a religious experience for your ears.

- Abyss, diverse.

When was Hugh Masekela in Canada? Or have you been secretly sneaking to our shores for your afro-jazz fix?
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#31 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

View Postalt146, on 22 February 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 22 February 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

...if you ever have the opportunity to see Hugh Masekela live, take it. It's like a religious experience for your ears...

When was Hugh Masekela in Canada? Or have you been secretly sneaking to our shores for your afro-jazz fix?

That and a hearty dose of koeksisters.

- Abyss, notes that maybe Hugh might have been here for a couple of shows in feb 2008. Maybe.

#32 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

Big Internationals (some of these were at festivals so not exactly my taste):
Pearl Jam x4
Live x3
Muse x3
Rolling Stones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Nine Inch Nails
Blink 182
Metallica
Rage Against the Machine
Offspring
Ben Harper
Chris Cornell (solo)
Jurassic 5
Coolio
Lily Allen
Dizzy Rascal
Groove Armada

Favourite local acts (can't list them all):
Karnivool
Dead Letter Circus
Decoder Ring
Regurgitator

Bands I've never seen but wish I had:
System of a Down
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Incubus
Prodigy
Radiohead

#33 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

I've not been to many gigs really. But two really stand out - Reel Big Fish/Streetlight Manifesto and 3 Doors Down, both were excellent, and all three bands are light-years better when you see them live. 3 Doors Down in particular, who did about 4 encores.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#34 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

I was listening to some Slayer last night (I was a bit miffed, OK?) and I realised I hadn't noted that I saw them in '94 on the Divine Intervention tour in Sydney. Hordern Pavilion, I think. I may have been a wee bit tipsy during that whole "early 90s" period.

Good fun though. Admittedly I stayed away from the scary lads down near the front, but it was actually a well-behaved crowd.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 24 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#35 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

Audioslave
Seether
Tom Cochrane
John Mellencamp
The Guess Who
Booker T
Flogging Molly
Tom Petty
Steve Winwood
Rush
The Tragically Hip
The Who
Metric

And some others I'm sure I've forgotten. Mellencamp put on the best show I've ever seen. Flogging Molly also puts on one helluva show. Seen them a couple times.

Rush was brilliant and they threw roasted chickens in the crowd. So funny.

#36 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

View PostRodeoRanch, on 24 February 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF EVER HEARING THEIR MUSIC BUT RUSH ARE NOW MY FAVOURITE BAND TO SEE LIVE
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#37 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 24 February 2010 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostRodeoRanch, on 24 February 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF EVER HEARING THEIR MUSIC BUT RUSH ARE NOW MY FAVOURITE BAND TO SEE LIVE

I see your roasted chickens and raise you The Barenaked Ladies actually bbq'ing hot dogs on stage, throughout the show, and periodically tossing them to the audience with little packets of condiments.

- Abyss, ...also notes that Rush sucks. Imnshowic.

You are dead to me Abyss.......Bubba

#38 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

Bubba is going to get you.

#39 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Then roast you like a chicken and throw you into a mob of angry Rush fans.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#40 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

Chicken fried Abyss?

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users