• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Devastating Moment Spoilers, obviously

#1 User is offline   Ceda Kuru Qan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

For me, Coltaine's Fall was the saddest and one of the most well-written events in the series. I was so moved by the scene that I just had to put the book down for a moment to let it sink in. The soldiers on the ramparts, Nether weeping, and of course Squint's arrow. I know the death of Whiskeyjack was moving because he was such a central character, but I think Coltaine's death was the most dramatic and best written piece. What are some of your own most devastating/saddening moments from the series?

EDIT: Added spoiler warning in sub-title. It should be obvious, but just in case, y'know?
-Silencer

#2 User is offline   kingnothing 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:15 AM

Boom!! Thanks Ceda....
Ok off the bad the moment that got me was Itkovian's death and his acceptence of the T'lan Imass's memories, their pain and suffering over more than 300,000 years. It was almost unbearable to read it was that heartbreaking. And I loved the Imass in it, how they were awestruck by a 'simple' human willing to give himself over to them.

And I'm not yet done....so powerful

Another was in DOD when Toc turns Tool away from Hood's gate. It was really simple but the pain within Toc, to deny his dearest friend a rightful end was again heartbreaking to read.

#3 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:32 AM

For me, it was in Dust of Dreams where

Spoiler

These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#4 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:06 AM

Dust of dreams is the only book i haven't (and possibly wont) re-read, simply because i really don't have the heart to go through the hobbling again. Just too traumatic watching that soul get destroyed.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#5 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:43 AM

Edited the post sub-title.

For me, a variety of moments. Rake's death. Silchas hearing the news of that. Kilmandaros' reaction to it. Made his death more powerful.
Itkovian, Coltaine, ofc. Gods, they all worked wonders.

There are a lot of other POWERFUL moments, for sure, but those were the most emotionally 'devastating', even if, for example, Rake's death was predictable.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#6 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:45 AM

Coltaine's making it to visibility range of Aren, only to be hung out to dry is the worst for me, by far.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

Uhm. This thread is in the General Book Section, as such I don't think all these references to late events and important characters are a great idea.

Either a moderator needs to edit all these posts and add spoiler-tags to every event after GotM or it should be moved.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 06 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

#8 User is offline   stone wielder 

• Recruit

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

BEWARE SPOILERS

Huge variety to pick form isn't there, anomanders death was made plain from feather witches reading in midnight tides, but the way it all happened, the devastation it caused was mind blowing! To see traveller reduced to immortal grief, even karsa was astonished at the sacrifice rake made. It was also a shock to know that he had been planning the moment for a while and how he sacrificed himself for the souls that he carried in Dragnipur. The whole scene was heart rendering.

Whiskey jacks death was painful to read again for the man was a saint. He was one of the only men rake ever called friend after his interception and slaughter of the dead seed witches, he was a seargent/commander that really cared about his troops which was a rarity on its own and his death was just cold blooded and sudden just when he was about to make himself a peaceful life with Korlat.

Another devastating blow had to be Trull sengars death. All that he'd been through had seemed to come with nothing, the sacrifices he made, his undying loyalty to others had strung him down a path of grief and pain but still he would not relent on his beliefs. He had made a great friend, onrack, and by the end of RG he had found himself a wife in seren, but just like whiskey jack, his death came sudden and unjustified. Onracks reaction of his friends demise was the most tear jerking read of the death.

Coltains death was also an outrage. The military genius was 1 of a kind and to see him seconds from the finish line only to be slaughtered was heart breaking.

Itkovians death was shocking also, a man with a heart to big for his own good.

Brys beddicts and tehols supposed deaths were a real blow when i read them, 2 of my favorite charachters through the malazan series i was nearly in tears with each read.

But my top 3 most devastating moments had to have been...

The death of beak! The whole build up through RG makes you just want to hug the poor soul and how he explains the warrens like candles to Captain Faradan Sort how he posses all the candles power, you realise that this could be a diamond in the dirt and become immediatly drawn towards this character. His childish characteristics leaves you feeling a warmth towards him. And the thoughts of pure friendship and goodness that travels through him as he envelopes his friends in a protective barrier against the onslaught of sick sorcery is heart renching as he gives his all with blazing candles that prooves just too uch for his body to handle as he died a heroes death.

The slaughter of the bone hunters in DOD was shocking, they marched to an epic war only to land in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thousands of short tails land out to slaughter the bone hunters who we all come to know and love, the harshest death probably being the emmaculate quick ben. Though he destroyed thousands of the short tails not even he could prevent the enevitable but still he died trying, bottles seeming death was sadning too. I personaly expected more big things from him and i was looking foward to his return to nether (think thats the girl twin) and i was hoping to see him and quick join together to form a real duo of thunderous magery against the forkrul assail. Other big charachters seemed to have died but hope remains as Stormy and Gesler discover there are survivors.

The overall death of the bridgeburners. This was an awful moment for me since i loved the bridgeburners like family and when they get torn up in coral i was in shock. Some of the bidgeburners survived but were killed later on in the series. A really devastating moment in malazan history, just about all of the whole malazan empire and surrounding areas were hit by this blow. They were perhaps the best squad to exist in the malazan military ranks but were under constant strain and abuse from their empress and there death was left a holowness in the malazan ranks. Barely a handful of the bridgeburners have survived but it seems to be a grief filled life that awaits them now.

Theres lods i missed out on like pearl assasinating kalam and tools death from the barghast and the hobbling of his wife, but to me the above devastating moments are the worst i've come across. If i have missed out any huge devastations let me know!! Thanks! later!

This post has been edited by stone wielder: 06 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

#9 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

DoD (and other) spoiler

Spoiler

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#10 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Spoilers from all books

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 06 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#11 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

SE has a habit of hitting you with a character's death out of the blue and there are tons of examples of characters dying that really strike a chord. Or just situations that really tear you apart, like Toc turning Tool away from Hood's gate. But for me the most deveasting events in the series so far were Trull and Whiskeyjack's deaths, just because they were so pointless. When Rake or Iktovian or Beak died it was sad, but meaningful. They died for something they believed in and made the ultimate sacrifice. As much you're sad to see them go, you cant help but be a little amazed at what they did and admire them for it. Whiskeyjack dying though was just so incredibly frustrating and sad. One of the best men the empire has ever seen is slowly bumped back down the ranks, only to be killed by his own good nature and a god's petty vengeance. Almost the same story for Trull, just replace empire with Edur.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#12 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

DoD spoiler:
Spoiler

<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#13 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Mine has to be from DoD, a few people have already mentioned it but i found it very difficult to read so i thought id add my opinion.

Spoiler

"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#14 User is offline   Fox 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

View PostWry, on 06 February 2010 - 02:06 AM, said:

Dust of dreams is the only book i haven't (and possibly wont) re-read, simply because i really don't have the heart to go through the hobbling again. Just too traumatic watching that soul get destroyed.

Yeah, I've decided I'm never reading those sections again. Ever.

#15 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

View PostFox, on 09 February 2010 - 05:29 PM, said:

View PostWry, on 06 February 2010 - 02:06 AM, said:

Yeah, I've decided I'm never reading those sections again. Ever.

This.

The other were also bad, but the sheer sustained cruelty in this one part was just too much.

By the way - spoilers are fair play in this section:

Discussion forum for general topics on Characters, Weapons, Who'd Wins, Badasses etc etc. Please be aware - there will be spoilers here up to and including the latest published books.

#16 User is offline   JimmyBole 

• Recruit

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:33 AM

Trulls death broke my heart. Also the part where kallor killed whickeyjack. And then examinine the scene cuttle (I think) realised the old knee that whiskey never let him heal had gave way. And he had to be carried away so he wouldnt fall on his own sword. And the end of reapers gale where the squad mage Beak gave his life to save eveyone after the edur magic got out of hand was lump in the throat stuff, poor kid treated like shit all his life and when he finally found a few pals he dies to protect them.

#17 User is offline   kingnothing 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

View PostJimmyBole, on 03 March 2010 - 05:33 AM, said:

Trulls death broke my heart. Also the part where kallor killed whickeyjack. And then examinine the scene cuttle (I think) realised the old knee that whiskey never let him heal had gave way. And he had to be carried away so he wouldnt fall on his own sword. And the end of reapers gale where the squad mage Beak gave his life to save eveyone after the edur magic got out of hand was lump in the throat stuff, poor kid treated like shit all his life and when he finally found a few pals he dies to protect them.

It was mallet actually. I felt so sorry for him though. I know he's not responsible for Whiskeyjack's death but you can't help but feel, well, helpless about it. To realise how simple and quick it would have been if he let Mallet attend to his leg.... oh how things would've been different.

#18 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

All of the above of course, but for me - Trull's death was just so so sad. Also, Olar Ethil's manipulation of Toc to turn away Tool - devastating in a different way.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#19 User is offline   Gathras 

• Recruit

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

I also have to go with Trull's death or rather Quick's and Hedge's reaction. I could feel the raw pain that Hedge must have felt when he was screaming at Quick Ben and even Fiddler was awstruck because it seems like he has never seen his companions as hurt as in this moment. It still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

#20 User is offline   jaysen 

• Corporal

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

"I am the Shield Anvil....and now I am finished" from MoI.

The one line in the series that got to me in a 'Holy Damn' kinda way.

Although I think Anomander's fate in TtH might've been first if I wasn't tipped off to what was going to happen.
Why should I infect them with my rage?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users