• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Devastating Moment Spoilers, obviously

#41 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Good question, I'm not sure. In hindsight, Coltaine, Itkovian, Whiskeyjack et al are all pretty emotional but it took me such a great while to find appreciation for this series and really "get" it, so for me the more powerful moments came later. Some of these were the children marching, "Witness!", the hobbling...not much more really. Oh, Enesdia's final moments were pretty harrowing. I never felt anything when Anomander decided to nap because he's such an aloof character, never connected though he is badass. Ah, one more, the struggle at the Lightfall, both epic and draining
Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

SPOILERS for like everything, ever...

DG: Coltaine's death, but specifically the moment when Nil and Nether react to it. Bru. Tal.

RG: Tool arriving about 30 seconds too late to save Toc.

RG: Not Trull's actual death, but QB and Hedge's reaction to it.

RCG: Laseen's death. Because at the shining moment where, via Possum, the reader realizes just how awesome she actually is, ICE kills her.

..interesting that in all four of those, it wasn't the death that struck me, but another character's reaction to it.

Also...

TCG: Gesler dying to save Bent. The world is ending, the 'founding races' are engaged is full blown battle around the tower, a frikkin god just bled all over the place... and this cranky veteran sacrificing his life for a mess of a dog wrecks me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Nil and Nether, sure, but don't forget Squint!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Postworrywort, on 07 September 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Nil and Nether, sure, but don't forget Squint!

Yes but we're invested in Nil and Nether by that point. Squint appears for the first time. Not quite as much impact, pun intended.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#45 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

As someone who shoots people in the face with arrows all the time, I immediately identified with Squint. I suppose a mage would identify with Nil and Nether more though.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

The saddest parts for me might be a bit odd.

I was initially shocked SE killed Whiskey so early, but I think the part that got me all welled up was beak in RG and then Hood's treatment of him after death, such a wonderful heart rending moment.

I think Trull is really bad, just when things were going to be reconciled.

I actually find the forgiveness of Pannion in MOI one of the most heart renching, tragic, difficult but wonderful moments in the whole series.
after that tool and hetan in dod

#47 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

some of the most of the heartwrenching moments are not the big deaths or big moments but the small ones. Like the toy scene in CG, the one killed me. Or the scene with the grandmother crawling back to her grandchildren in a think MT. As good as SE is at the big moments, and he is, its the small parts that really bring the books home for me.

#48 User is offline   Fener's Hairy Balls 

• Recruit

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm only up to the fourth book so it would have to be the death of Coltaine or maybe Duiker.

#49 User is offline   Fiddler-in-Black 

• Recruit

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Most of the ones I found to be heart wrenching were already covered, one of the big ones that caught me off guard was this:

'Children are dying.'

#50 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostFiddler-in-Black, on 15 September 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

'Children are dying.'

Who needs tomes and volumes of history? The injustices of the world hide in those three words.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#51 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

its crazy how many moments you forget about in this series. I think Whiskeyjacks death is always the one that comes to my mind first it was so fast and unexpected to me. The hobbling was tough to read as it was a drawn out process of crushing someone in every way. Reading other peoples post makes me realize how sad this series is as a whole... so many meaningful people getting killed in various ways.

#52 User is offline   Elzhi 

• Recruit

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

My most devastating moment was...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Elzhi: 22 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

"I believe in our side and theirs, with the good and evil decided after the fact, by those who survive. Among men you seldom find the good with one standard and the shadow with another."

#53 User is offline   king in chains 

• the fifth beatle

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

i screamed when trull sengar got knifed in the back
1...2 freddys coming for you

#54 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

I just finished a re-read of Deadhouse Gates and got all teary eyed when Squint had to shoot. And Beak I cried a little at Beak's sacrifice.I didn't get all emotional about whiskeyjack but Mallet's reaction hit me in the feels.Working my way through RoTCG so I am sure there will be more.

#55 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

the entire saga that the seguleh go through in OST... From what the moranth did and how everyone else their viewed it to Jans ending.

#56 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

Since somebody necro'd this:

Beak's death. But I read it differently apparently.

It's not the "dying for all his friends' part. It's the fact, as I read it, that he's friendless except for maybe Sort. It's implied that nobody wanted to get close to him because he was too open and innocent.

Close second would be the 'children are dying' line.

Third is one that we'll never know about. I want to know what One Arm had in his diary about Ganoes that so impressed the officers of the Host.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#57 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

The more I read and reread the sadder certain parts become.
I still think I cried the most when Beak was reunited with his brother, but well,
Whiskeyjack
Coltaine
Trull... poor poor trull
Gesler and Stormy
Munug. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

also did anyone not well up when the Jaghut child is reunited with Pannion?

#58 User is offline   The_Wanderer 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Fantasy and science fiction

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

Coltaine's death in Deadhouse Gates was the worst, Duiker's death shortly after was also horrendous. Those two are definitely the most traumatizing moments for me.
"The soul knows no greater anguish than to take a breath that begins in love and ends with grief." - Toll the Hounds

Writing about and reviewing everything fantasy and science fiction at ATG Reviews

#59 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Spoilers for Memories of Ice

Almost the entire MoI convergence: but the points I really want to mention

1. The Bridgeburners die, not all together in one grand act, but gradually, tragically cut down one by one inside Coral and Picker's trauma as it is under her command
2. Itkovian takes the sorrow of the T'lan Imass and their memories of mortality resound through his head. Reading that gave me chills.
3. Korlat's grief while Moon'sSpawn hovers above.
4. Toc does not recognize Tool when he emerges in Anaster's body and Tool comes to see him in re-animated form. Tool's quiet happiness that his friend is alive and his acceptance that he cant recognize him any more....

#60 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

There are many devastating moments throughout the series, but only a couple still get me on the re-reads.

Even reading through the comments here, Beak's sacrifice is still both upsetting and satisfying in a weird way (satisfying in that his suffering is over, and he's reunited with his brother).
Gesler and Bent is the other scene, and it is similar to the Beak one in that I found it both emotional and yet Gesler had the choice to save Bent and did it.

I had actually forgotten the scene with Pannion, but that's a good one too. I've found it's often the things that happen to some of the more peripheral characters that can be the most affecting, since terrible things can happen to them at any time.

The big scenes like Coltaine, and Rake were almost inevitable, so didn't have the same impact. The cruelty of when Trull is struck down was pretty bad (although it probably made me more angry than devastated).

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users