• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Members Start Here

#341 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

Welcome new members. Damn glad to meet ya.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#342 User is offline   BridgeBurner420 

• Recruit

Posted 29 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

Good morning to all in the Malazan Empire. I have the pleasure of announcing that I have finally joined this amazing community of like minded fantasy enthusiasts. As much as I say I am a fan of Steven Erikson, I must admit, I was naïve to the fact that there was another amazing person who was part of this creation, this wonderful world of the Malazan Empire. Ian C. Esslemont. I feel so blessed right now to have finally made this discovery, though I understand now that this is common knowledge to anyone who has done any research on the series or about Steven Erikson. For myself I must admit, finding this out has brought me such immense joy, I cannot really express the excitement I feel at this moment. I just purchased “Night of Knives”, and I cannot wait to start down this road of new discoveries. As my first post here, I would like to thank this community for being here, what a wonderful place to be a part of.

#343 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Welcome to the forum and have fun!

Just for info, the initial six Esslemont novels sit in the Malazan Book of the Fallen timeline as such:

Night of Knives - after Midnight Tides
Return of the Crimson Guard - after Reaper's Gale
Stonewielder - after Toll the Hounds

'Orb, Sceptre, Throne' and 'Blood and Bone' are a tad contentious. Technically speaking the events they cover take place around the same time as Dust of Dreams and the Crippled God. Obviously for you it doesn't matter as long as you read them in order (SW - OST - BnB), but for a first time mixed read or a re-read you can do TtH - SW - DoD - OST - tCG, or TtH - DoD - SW - OST - tCG, or even TtH - SW - DoD - tCG - OST - BnB. Then finish with Assail. Followed by the fantastic and highly recommendable Esslemont prequel trilogy. And by then the next ICE prequel trilogy will probably be ready!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#344 User is offline   Confused Azath 

• Recruit

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:02 AM

Hi everyone!
I started reading Gardens of the Moon during school, but now that I've graduated, I'm up to the middle of Memories of Ice.
I can't believe I didn't discover Malazan before! I now know that I was reading subpar fantasy at best up to this point. Perhaps it's due to not being in school anymore, but I haven't read as consistently like this in a DECADE. I've barely cracked the surface, but this series has already changed fantasy literature for me. There's no going back, and I love it.

As for my username/screen name -- Confused Azath -- I thought it Apt (ha) here because not only am I often confused, but it seems that sometimes even the ascendants haven't a clue what's going on!

I'm looking forward to talking with you all!

#345 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:12 AM

Welcome home!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#346 User is offline   Cow Lore 

• Recruit

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

Hello! I have been an enormous fan of this series for years now. It is my most favorite thing in the world of media.
Currently reading Kellanveds Reach. Esselmont has really come into his own in this series.

My username is just a phonetic play on The High King as the original name was obviously taken a long time ago.
Thanks for having me!

#347 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

That's false advertising!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#348 User is offline   Cow Lore 

• Recruit

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

Posted Image

#349 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

You can never know enough about cows in my experience.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#350 User is offline   Wu ammanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

Hi,so happy to be on this forum. Got involved in the series like 2 years ago. Re read many of it. Starting all over again. This is just an epic series. The minds behind its creation just astounds me. Thank you all. Hope I will meet some Africans here too. I am one and I wish I could advertise this series somehow or shout about how wonderful it is on rooftops

#351 User is offline   The_green_eyed_Camel 

• Recruit

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

Howdy, Have read the entire series nearly twice. Love it.

This post has been edited by The_green_eyed_Camel: 11 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

#352 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Welcome fresh meat new people. :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#353 User is offline   GlockWorkOrange 

• Recruit

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

New member here---just wanted to say hi!

I am a Song of Ice and Fire fan who was looking for some new fantasy when I found this excellent series.

I've completed GOTM and an 50% through Deadhouse Gates--can't wait to finish and move to Book Three!

#354 User is offline   Spinage 

• Recruit

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:17 PM

Hello everyone !

New member but not a new reader. I've read the books twice now, a friend just got me into reading them a third time. I had the feeling I was forgetting too much already....
The forum already made me discover the books by Esselmont, I will have to do a mixed read this time then !
Hope to learn a lot :)

#355 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

Welcome, I think if you stay patient with Esslemont, you'll get to a good place.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users