• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Members Start Here

#61 User is offline   Captain Petepants 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Good evening, miserable proles! (sorry, Sam and Max moment :) )
I've been here for a bit, but never really introduced myself. Think I just weighed in on an argument about musicians or somesuch, a while back.

I'm an English gent, of 25 summmers. Awed by the series, as I try to be a writer myself and am not convinced that I could ever pull of something as prolonged yet cohesive as MbotF.
I'm a fairly randomly interested chap, spending my spair time learning to fight with a longsword; climbing rocks; Thai boxing; playing bass guitar; writing shitty stories (more sf than f); and, obviously, reading. I'll read anything once. Except Jilly Cooper. Some lines are there for a reason.

I'm running out of steam here, since I'm just about my least favourite topic, so I'll quit my yammerin'. You seem like a good bunch, and I shall make more of an effort to inflict myself upon you all.

Pete

#62 User is offline   Alyis 

• Ceda Alyis
  • Interests:Gaming. Reading. Scripting. Programming. Graphic Design.
  • Looking for help for an MMO

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hey everyone! I am new here and am currently reading Reaper's Gale so far the series has been outstanding, I just can't manage to ever set the book down(: I am looking forward to getting to know you all.
Looking for people who want to help out with a new Malazan style MMO

#63 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Hello I'm super new too :-) Fabulous place this, like its insperation.

Just reading the 4th book, HoC.
And just ordered all 11 books int he series lol, then read them all in the recommended order (inc Ian c esselmonts works) as A build up till the final climatic installment hits.

...what is the receommnded reading order btw?

This post has been edited by Weave: 30 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#64 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

I would say just like you can see them listed as the different sub forums.
Wait no, I would read NOK after or before MT.

This post has been edited by Harvester: 30 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

#65 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

View PostWeave, on 30 June 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

Hello I'm super new too :-) Fabulous place this, like its insperation.

And just ordered all 11 books int he series lol, then read them all in the recommended order (inc Ian c esselmonts works) as A build up till the final climatic installment hits.

You bought them all at one time? That must have cost a small fortune...an excellent investment in these troubled times
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#66 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

So, one day, this nondescript guy (let's call him Michael) was browsing through a bookstore and stumbled upon a book that looked old and not in very good shape. The title of the book was Deadhouse Gates. Weird name, he thought, and there was another book by the same author, this book was named Memories of Ice. Usually this fat dude read Feist, Stackpole, Salvatore and others. But this "Steven Erikson" guy seemed interesting. So Michael bought those book and subsequently never got around to reading them because he discovered that he didn't have the first book. That is, until he bought the first book.

Hi folks, I'm Primateus, or Michael if you prefer, and I thought I'd sign up for this forum. Rest assured, I have read Gardens of the Moon, Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. I have even read House of chains. Yeah, I got books 4, 5, 6 and 7 for xmas the year before last, but I'm still only reading Midnight Tides. But this is good stuff.

Though I have visited this forum before I am not what you would call a "lurker" as I have only been here a couple of times. But I figured I'd join up and take part in the discussion. I don't post much because I usually don't have anything interesting to say, if only to agree with another poster.

Anyway....hello, and how are you?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#67 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

I'm doing ok, how are you? Fat people are certainly welcome here, I think!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#68 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

Feeling fine, thanks and you? I hope you'll enjoy your time aboard. :(

#69 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

View Postworrywort, on 03 July 2010 - 08:06 PM, said:

I'm doing ok, how are you? Fat people are certainly welcome here, I think!

Tattersail deems this acceptable.
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#70 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

I bet she does the raunchy lass!

Anyway, hi everyone.

New here, but I’m currently finishing off House of Chains so well into the series now and chewing it up and more importantly I’ve as yet not found anything within the book that too “out there” for me to understand. My mis-spent youth playing D&D and building dungeons and adventures for those games (and the excessively convoluted plotlines my friends and I came up with) clearly helped.

#71 User is offline   big john 

• Recruit
  • Interests:since finding erikson my main interest has been reading erikson. and man u.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

found g.o.t.m by accident,thought i would give it a go. just finished d.o.d now ive got a headache (well for the last six months really)
robert jordan was my favourite author, not any more. never thought that would happen.
i want to be a bridgeburner.
my name is john and i,m an addict.

#72 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Welcome, one and all. :)
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#73 User is offline   random marine doomed to die 

• Corporal
  • Interests:well .. reading

Disk Golf also
  • CHARGERS

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:54 PM

Looong time lurker, couple of posts now. Got Gardens from my Uncle who didn't like it. Guess he likes his fantasy a little easier, or as I might say not as good. This guy good, that gut bad, here is a magic sword, oh and by the way you are the real king.
Have read everything I can. Is there a fourth Bauchelain story?

#74 User is offline   Bestemoor 

• Recruit

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

Well, as requested:

Hello!

Been away from the forum-worlds since the total war forum became stale a couple of years back, but I´ve recently come to realise that the a good forum is as manna for the soul. At least when I`m working nights;)

So, here I am! A good guy who enjoys his fantasy and loves his history. On my way to becoming a professor in said subject, but currently earning my money as a social worker for female drugabusers in the european drug-capital, Oslo;)

Well, what remains to be said? Not much for now. Looking forward to get to know you all:)

-Njål

#75 User is offline   Braden 

• Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

View PostBestemoor, on 14 July 2010 - 01:26 AM, said:

Well, as requested:

Hello!

Been away from the forum-worlds since the total war forum became stale a couple of years back, but I´ve recently come to realise that the a good forum is as manna for the soul. At least when I`m working nights;)

So, here I am! A good guy who enjoys his fantasy and loves his history. On my way to becoming a professor in said subject, but currently earning my money as a social worker for female drugabusers in the european drug-capital, Oslo;)

Well, what remains to be said? Not much for now. Looking forward to get to know you all:)

-Njål

Ooo...a fellow Total Warer.... I'm a regular on the .org forums (well on and off as I frequent the PBeM sections mainly).

#76 User is offline   Baruk 

• Recruit

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:05 AM

Hey everybody! It is great to finally be here, I've read these forums now for a while. I of course enjoy the series immensely, it's my favorite fantasy book series.

Cry, laugh, I can do all reading MBotF. Libraries are dead, so I bought the series on Amazon recently, can't wait for CG. Maybe I'll read Bauchelain (spl?) and Korbal Broach miniseries for now...

Hood's balls!!!!

#77 User is offline   Jaghut Odhan 

• Recruit

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

How you all doing?
I'm from Brooklyn, New York (the greatest city in the world).
I've been reading MBotF for a couple of years now starting with HoC and now about half way through DoD. It's kind of becoming a little too philosophical for me, but I'm bearing through, hearing how people say how awesome DoD is gonna get. Being in New York we got a good library system so I got all SE books from there (9 MBotF total + Night of Knives). Just finally got my hands on DoD for 3 weeks, it is in high demand.
The series is very good and thought-provoking (-stimulating). Except maybe for these points.
1. People know what just happened to other people on different continents without telephone/internet. I know there are warrens, spies and stuff, but still...
2. The Malazan Army bickering just gets trite after HoC/tBH. It does not really do anything towards advancing the plot (correct me if I'm wrong).
3. I just think that there are too many characters, tribes and places introduced in every novel (except maybe for HoC). I just wish that the setting would be (slightly) smaller with (slightly) less secondary characters and (slightly) more main characters.
Anyways, the next MBotF I'll read will be The Bonehunters (my second re-read after HoC). Would like to understand more the Nameless cult and the Shareholders/Genoes Paran story.

#78 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Advancing plots is overrated.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#79 User is offline   Braden 

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

"how you doing?"

- Iz doing fine, thanks...welcome to the forums..

1 – I haven't noticed this yet myself. Certainly not people on different continents with the exception of Laseen and contact with her Fists/High Fists, which is to be expected via the Imperial Warren. There are some instances that Quick has used a form of "sub-Star Wars Holo-communication" which worked for me in a fashion but I couldn't help but relate it back to "help me Obiwan…you're my only hope…!"

2 – This is just added realism. Armies do this, generals do this…generals in the same armies often compete at a very petty level and more often at the cost of the lives of their troops and the people they're trying to defend (Allied invasion of Scilly anyone?)

3 – For some your right but just as many would say it adds depth, makes the reader think, makes the reader actually READ and take it all in, adds plot lines that are picked up far further along etc etc.

Also…Leeds is the greatest city in the world….:)

This post has been edited by Braden: 21 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

#80 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Leeds is pretty damn awesome, but we won't be the best till we get a KFC in the city centre.
Oh and hi to new joiners, crazy there's still such an influx of new fans joining this series I've never seen mentioned on TV/media.

This post has been edited by Weave: 29 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users