• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Art Request: The Huntress a Jaghut pinup :p

#41 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

No wonder the Jaghut family unit died out.

"Come give Daddy a kiss, honey."
"Oka- ARGH MY EYE!"
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#42 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

I do have a huntress drawing started, but I doubt I can contribute, since my computer decided to do the millenium crash ten years too late and it doen't look like I'm going to get it fixed any time soon. Though if I can get someone to scan the drawing for me, I'll post it :D

And great stuff so far, Dolmen and Nobbs :D

This post has been edited by Puck: 15 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#43 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

Okay, new tusks, I know they're not much bigger, but those massive things sticking out of Raest's face don't look right to me. Just an opinion.

Attached File  Jhag Huntress Big Tusks small.JPG (312.87K)
Number of downloads: 8

Plus a close up of each version.

Attached File  Jhag HuntressFINAL closeup.JPG (132.16K)
Number of downloads: 7 Attached File  Jhag Huntress Tusks closeup.JPG (138.92K)
Number of downloads: 2

Did a couple of quick skulls (using my VERY limited knowledge of anatomy) just to get some idea of how they might work. Thought I'd post them as well.

Attached File  jaghut skull 1.jpg (70.64K)
Number of downloads: 4 Attached File  jaghut skull 2.jpg (69.57K)

This post has been edited by Corporal Nobbs: 15 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#44 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 15 January 2010 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yeah, I know - my post is misleading. I didn't include any quotes that imply the tusks coming out of the mouth but they do exist:

Icarium said, smiling, the polished lower tusks sliding into view.
(BH)

“A bold accusation,” said Ivindonos, his tusks bared in anger.

'bared' implies that they could be hidden from view.

and there's more, I'm just now choosing to ignore them ;p

Point.

Let's not get involved with inconsistencies - that way lies madness. The Corrected MBotF would be one hell of a fan project. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#45 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

Look at a group of elephants or walrus - their tusks are neither the same size nor shape nor colour nor even growing in the same direction sometimes. Sometimes one individual can have two tusks of very different look.

Add that Jaghuts can 'style' their tusks with caps or whatever and there really need not be any hard/fast rule
about the size, shape or direction.

Iccy is Jhag, so his would likely be smaller than a pureblood Jaghut in any event. gender might also be a factor.

I like the pic with the caps added.

- Abyss, ...is basically saying that size doesn't matter...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#46 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Dammit, I turn my back for a few seconds and bam! two new contests...entries for this one are really good! So good luck to everyone :D

I, unfortunately, have Karpal Tunn....err, lost my drawing hand while playing Mott Irregular Roulette...seemed like a good idea at the time...
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#47 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Nobbs! I don't know which I prefer now...

View PostUrb, on 15 January 2010 - 02:39 PM, said:

perhaps there is a distinction between Jagh (sp?) and Jaghut, and SE is using the word tusks a bit loosely there (adding some poetic flavour to the sentence, emphasising how they are some massive fangs located on the lower mandible). I don't remember this Ivondonos though. Was he Jagh or Jaghut?

Ivindonos appeared in one of the chapter poem/excerpt things - he was Jaghut.

Right, more quotes then:

Quotes suggesting the tusks come from inside the mouth:

Aramala in HoC: ‘She bared her tusks in something like a smile.’

Raest in Toll: A face in shadows, pitted eye-sockets, a broad slash of mouth hinting at up-thrust tusks.

Icarium said, smiling, the polished lower tusks sliding into view. (BH)

And now quotes that support theidea that Jaghut tusks protrude from the jaw below the mouth:

Scenes in Icarias: They were tall, with skin the colour of lichen. Their lower jaws bore tusks that rose up to frame the thin-lipped mouths. (DoD)

Icarium in Dust: Skin of dusty green, tusks framing its mouth.

And again: fingers brushing the tusks jutting from his lower jaw.

Hood, in Toll: Tusks rising from the lower jaw, chipped and worn, the tips ragged and splintered.

Male ‘Jaghut Anap’ in crazy cursed town in Toll: ‘an exceedingly tall, bluish-skinned man with massive, protruding tusks, curved like the horns of a ram to frame his bony face,’
Bedusk Pall Kovuss Agape, who called himself a Jaghut Anap, was simply gigantic, likely weighing more than Mappo and at least a head and a half taller than the Trell. His skin was blue, a deeper hue than any Malazan Napan that Quell could recall seeing. The blue even seemed to stain the silver-tipped tusks jutting from his lower jaw.

edit: now that I put it all together, I think the tusks have to come from inside the mouth so...never mind about the alternative idea - although I do think it would look better :D

second edit: the only modern animal that has tusks anything like those described for the Jaghut is the warthog, pictured below:
Attached File  2285_600x450-cb1262891953.jpg (58K)
Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  4991-004-C79F319A.jpg (55.21K)
Attached File  warthog_mkuzi-nsa03.jpg (61.34K)
Number of downloads: 1

third edit, forgot about hippos :D
Attached File  hippopotamus-amphibius-IMG_8350mw.jpg (126.86K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 16 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

#48 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Maybe the mouth has an extra ... I dunno ... stretchy bit at the corners to accommodate the tusks coming out from the base of the gums/jawline area, so as not to interfere with their speech articulation?

And to stop the otherwise inevitable drooling problem. Always a social faux pas. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#49 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

View PostSombra, on 16 January 2010 - 02:01 PM, said:

Maybe the mouth has an extra ... I dunno ... stretchy bit at the corners to accommodate the tusks coming out from the base of the gums/jawline area, so as not to interfere with their speech articulation?

And to stop the otherwise inevitable drooling problem. Always a social faux pas. :D

Well actually the Jaghut language accommodated the tusks - there is a reference for that when Ganath talks to Paran in BH - she says that he pronounces Jaghut speech the way an Imass would if he had bothered to learn it or a Jaghut whose tusks had been pulled. :D

View PostGrimhilde, on 15 January 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

Dammit, I turn my back for a few seconds and bam! two new contests...entries for this one are really good! So good luck to everyone :p

I, unfortunately, have Karpal Tunn....err, lost my drawing hand while playing Mott Irregular Roulette...seemed like a good idea at the time...

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that Grimhilde - after seeing your Fener picture I think you could have done a great version of a Jaghut too. Hope it heals soon.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#50 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

@Nobbs

The problem is...you have a gollum-like woman, with strange pointy looking teeth coming out of her bottom jaw...the "tusks" just don't look like they fit the picture.
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#51 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

View PostHetan, on 16 January 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

View PostSombra, on 16 January 2010 - 02:01 PM, said:

And to stop the otherwise inevitable drooling problem. Always a social faux pas. ^_^

Well actually the Jaghut language accommodated the tusks - there is a reference for that when Ganath talks to Paran in BH - she says that he pronounces Jaghut speech the way an Imass would if he had bothered to learn it or a Jaghut whose tusks had been pulled. :pirate:

View PostGrimhilde, on 15 January 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

Dammit, I turn my back for a few seconds and bam! two new contests...entries for this one are really good! So good luck to everyone ^_^

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that Grimhilde - after seeing your Fener picture I think you could have done a great version of a Jaghut too. Hope it heals soon.

Aww, thank you:)

I did a Jaghut a while back, Ganath to be exact. Dye her hair and remove her harness and voila: The Huntress :)

Attached File  Ganath_by_Tattersail.jpg (100.98K)
Number of downloads: 7

#52 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

The second picture and second Skull look more likely for me.

#53 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Problem with tusks is, that the lower jawline has to protrude in front of the upper jawline in order for the tusks to not look like glued on mockups. The whole skull needs to look different from the human skull. An alternative would be to have the tusks thrust forward from a 'normal' lower jaw and then curve upward. But clearly that's not the case, thus it should be the first possibility. As I see it, the problem in Nobb's huntress is, that her skull is human-like and the lower jaw drawn back too far. Even if you assume that the tusks can be covered by the upper lips, the whole jaw area cannot be so drawn back like the human jaw is, it has to protrude as a whole and especially the lawer jawline.

This post has been edited by Puck: 19 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#54 User is offline   Spindrift 

• ###

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:51 AM

hi. haven't posted any art here in a while.

closeup
Posted Image
Posted Image

The tusks were a nightmare and i'm still extremely unhappy with them. Semi-sidestepped issue by making them difficult to see in the full version.
This probably isn't the final version. There's tons of minor finishing up to do if i can find the time/inclination. I forgot the silver caps too, whoops.

#55 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Welcome back Spin, you have been missed :pirate:
That's is pretty damned sweet!.. and yeah - I understand your point re the difficulty of the tusks with or without silver caps - it' the same problem as Nobbs and Puck have already mentioned.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#56 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Nice, Spin.

Actually, she's kinda hot. :pirate:

Although I couldn't help thinking of Benny from Looking For Group. Who is difficult to find in a single picture of decent size showing her tusks.

Attached File(s)

#57 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

...and then Spindrift came and blew us all out of the water...

way to make a re-entrance!

#58 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Spindrift, amazing. I just want to see more Malazan-inspired art the more I see of the calibre in these posts.

#59 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

View PostSpindrift, on 20 January 2010 - 05:51 AM, said:

hi. haven't posted any art here in a while.

closeup
Posted Image
Posted Image

The tusks were a nightmare and i'm still extremely unhappy with them. Semi-sidestepped issue by making them difficult to see in the full version.
This probably isn't the final version. There's tons of minor finishing up to do if i can find the time/inclination. I forgot the silver caps too, whoops.

Fantastic!

she is hot as well :p

#60 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

That's one of the best pics i've seen yet, I can almost feel the wind whipping across the plain.

Brilliant piece of work.

Should come a close second behind Bubba's :p
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users