Malazan Empire: The game I bought today is... - Malazan Empire

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I bought today is... Bought any games recently? Share your excitement with us.

#81 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

Well they just kept blasting him even after he went down and just lied on the floor.
And I was asking just about anyone who has experience with real guns.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#82 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

Oh, well, I don't think many people will have had an opportunity to compare an AK-74 and an M16, tbh. The -74 had slightly more controlled production than the -47, and is pretty much the latest kid on the bloc (hehe, see what I did thar?), unless you count the much more limited production models of the 10x series.

Theoretically it's an updated -47, though, so it won't be as accurate (once again, theoretically) as an M16/M4, though probably with less accuracy issues (and let's face it, the AK-47 got a bad rap mostly due to movies and the fact that, while you can still put a bullet in a body at 150m, your average joe will be less accurate than they would with a M16...then again, the -47 will also keep on firing no matter what, as opposed to the M16 which still, to this day, has a rather poor jam rate (the M4 does too)) due to using a smaller calibre of bullet...

As for a Desert Eagle, they have an atrociously poweful kickback, due to the ridiculously large calibre they're packing, and are in fact a gun suited to massive hands. They're HUGE. And are actually surprisingly weaker in terms of stopping power than you'd expect (don't get me wrong, they'll fuck you up bad...but in terms of recoil-to-stopping-ability, they aren't as superpowered as they *should* be).

And don't even bring different conditions into the battle against an M16, btw. It will die, choke on its own death, then splutter its way into the afterlife LONG before you get of a reasonable amount of rounds. XD

Oh, and the M16 and M4 are up for replacement, too. Contenders are still the SCAR, the HK416, the XM8 (though this has pretty much been ruled out) and one other which is also out of the running. They have less stoppages and such. ^^

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#83 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

Seems like it's about as I expected. AK-74, as I've heard from my father (he was in the military, though never got sent anywhere), can punch right through a wooden wall or a fully grown man's body, so you can forget using tables and people as cover. It's probably louder and harder to keep in line during fire than the M16, but yeah, the staple would be that you could probably sit in sand for a day, jump out and start shooting immediately. AKs seem remarkably good weapons.
I, however, understand why western soldiers won't pick them up and start using them in combat, like in Iraq for instance - the distinct sound they make is probably pretty often how you can tell friendly fire from enemy fire.

I've got another one to ask about, one of my personal favourites-to-try-one-day, the SVD. Had a chance to fire it?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#84 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hell no! If I'd had a chance to fire a Dragunov SVD I would be able to die happy. XD

And regards the distinctive noise - yes, that'd be a pretty dangerous thing to do. It also has a fairly distinctive appearance compared to an M16/M4 too. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#85 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

Well, my brother being an officer in the corps, and additionally due to "various things which may or may not be technically illegal" I have fired dozens of automatic rifles on military ranges. M16, M4, AK 74, and the newish, very sexy, really lovely ak 107 and some euroguns, in addition to various bolt or lever action and semi auto rifles. The dragonov is massively overrated against today's western guns. When it was new, it was 'holy fuck awesome'. Next to the good .308 derived military rifles though? it s still impressive, sure, but its not at the top for accuracy and range. Plus, rifles should have a full rifle stock. fuck you euros making those fucky half/full/fucked/pistol grips on them :p

Sillie: where'd you hear the XM8 was being ruled out? It has done very well in the trials: half as many stops(jams) as the nearest competitors, the HK416 and the scar, in a heavy dust environment (and 1/8th as many as an M4) over 60k rounds. The Army has more or less shelved the 'replace our carbines' project, though, but when they come back to it in 2012 it is still a solid weapon. Not as versatile as the XCR imo, since you can't pick up a discarded ak clip, turn a couple hex nuts, slide in a new barrel and shoot, but, its accurate and durable. Its either that or the SCAR for the next Army carbine, most likely. The marines and special operations have already started buying scars and using them in combat, and the HK design will probably be replacing the SAW across the board. So if the army doesn't say fuck it, they will probably buy both XM8s and SCARs to replace the old stuff.

As to the accuracy of weapons: there's a thing called MOA, minute of arc (or angle), which says how far the spread will be, independent of the operators skill and weather. (Put the gun in a robot, in a temperature controlled, windless environment and shoot, basically) which determines how far 'off center' the bullets will go (typically from 3 to 5 rounds). 1 MOA = a 1 inch spread at 100 yards, and you just multiply as it goes further out. The MOA for the older AKs is a good bit higher than it is with an M4/M16. More relevant with bolt action weapons though than an assault rifle, since operator skill and conditioning has much more of an impact when you fire a burst. So its not just that the typical people shooting an AK can't shoot for shit, it is actually a less accurate weapon too :p

And the guy half naked on my couch who just came home from 2 years overseas says the reason soldiers won't pick up an AK in Iraq or Afghanistan is because except the ones used by the friendly troops, they are in shit shit shit condition. Dented, beat up, worn out barrels, old ammo, ect ect.

P.S. Thread Title: "Why Guns In Video Games Are Not Like Guns In Real Life, a Nerdgasm"

This post has been edited by Jusentantaka: 06 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

#86 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

View PostJusentantaka, on 06 April 2010 - 04:33 PM, said:

Well, my brother being an officer in the corps, and additionally due to "various things which may or may not be technically illegal" I have fired dozens of automatic rifles on military ranges. M16, M4, AK 74, and the newish, very sexy, really lovely ak 107 and some euroguns, in addition to various bolt or lever action and semi auto rifles. The dragonov is massively overrated against today's western guns. When it was new, it was 'holy fuck awesome'. Next to the good .308 derived military rifles though? it s still impressive, sure, but its not at the top for accuracy and range. Plus, rifles should have a full rifle stock. fuck you euros making those fucky half/full/fucked/pistol grips on them Posted Image

I hate you Jusen. I really do. Just wait until I get to a country with decent firearms laws. JUST YOU WAIT. (that being said, probably going to purchase myself a nice .308 bolt action later this year...any suggestions?

Sillie: where'd you hear the XM8 was being ruled out? It has done very well in the trials: half as many stops(jams) as the nearest competitors, the HK416 and the scar, in a heavy dust environment (and 1/8th as many as an M4) over 60k rounds. The Army has more or less shelved the 'replace our carbines' project, though, but when they come back to it in 2012 it is still a solid weapon. Not as versatile as the XCR imo, since you can't pick up a discarded ak clip, turn a couple hex nuts, slide in a new barrel and shoot, but, its accurate and durable. Its either that or the SCAR for the next Army carbine, most likely. The marines and special operations have already started buying scars and using them in combat, and the HK design will probably be replacing the SAW across the board. So if the army doesn't say fuck it, they will probably buy both XM8s and SCARs to replace the old stuff.

I'm going off the fact that they actually ordered some SCAR's and HK's, but no XM8's. To me, that's a win, though it might also be on the principle of "this one doesn't need further testing", I admit...and yeah, the XCR was the other one I was thinking of. Still, who's to say that by 2012 there isn't a new contender? Assuming they'd let one in, that is. I'm sure someone could come up with a superior product by then...

As to the accuracy of weapons: there's a thing called MOA, minute of arc (or angle), which says how far the spread will be, independent of the operators skill and weather. (Put the gun in a robot, in a temperature controlled, windless environment and shoot, basically) which determines how far 'off center' the bullets will go (typically from 3 to 5 rounds). 1 MOA = a 1 inch spread at 100 yards, and you just multiply as it goes further out. The MOA for the older AKs is a good bit higher than it is with an M4/M16. More relevant with bolt action weapons though than an assault rifle, since operator skill and conditioning has much more of an impact when you fire a burst. So its not just that the typical people shooting an AK can't shoot for shit, it is actually a less accurate weapon too Posted Image

Eh, MOA is all well and good, (and if anyone's going to argue that the AK *isn't* less accurate than other rifles in mainstream use, well...good luck to them) and it's certainly the best method for determining accuracy independant of skill, but what's the average engagment range these days? Over a resonable distance there is, afaik, not a HUGE difference between the grouping in the hands of a skilled operator. Probably enough to make one go for the M4, until you realise the jamming, high maintenance, and lack of stopping power due to shorter barrel completely eliminates the advantage, no?

And the guy half naked on my couch who just came home from 2 years overseas says the reason soldiers won't pick up an AK in Iraq or Afghanistan is because except the ones used by the friendly troops, they are in shit shit shit condition. Dented, beat up, worn out barrels, old ammo, ect ect.

Really? Mind you, those AK's have been around for a while now, lol. They still firin', though, right? XD

P.S. Thread Title: "Why Guns In Video Games Are Not Like Guns In Real Life, a Nerdgasm"
Do eeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Replies in red.

Shinrei said:

#87 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

I hate you Jusen. I really do. Just wait until I get to a country with decent firearms laws. JUST YOU WAIT. (that being said, probably going to purchase myself a nice .308 bolt action later this year...any suggestions?

Suggestions? depends on your price range, and what sort of imports tariffs there will be for a firearm to NZ if any, and the sorts of shooting ranges there are (Don't need no 6x scope if the longest ranges you can go to are 2 or 300 meters). Tell me these and I'm sure I could come up with a nice list.

And don't be hating, its not like I ever fired the cool gunz like a G11 :p Unless the zombies come (or the rednecks arise) I'll stick with a nice bravo 51 shooting .338. And no, I call him Willi, not Kate.

Really? Mind you, those AK's have been around for a while now, lol. They still firin', though, right? XD

Thats what he told me anyway, personally, I figured they'd be more recently smuggled in and in better condition than 'complete shit and so forth' like he said.

This post has been edited by Jusentantaka: 07 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

#88 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

Not that I care that much, but perhaps Silencer should move this separate discussion into a thread of its own?

#89 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

Eh, the rest of that discussion will be via PM anyway. Might clean it up some day, though. XD

Shinrei said:

#90 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

I once again no longer believe that Jusentantaka is a girl.
Error: Signature not valid

#91 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

Girls can like guns too. :blink: I don't spend ALL of my time diddling myself and buying clothes and makeup.

To retopic: I just got Mount and Blade warband. Not bad, not too much superior to the original either, but April looks to be a pretty shitty new-games month compared to March.

#92 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Bought 3 PS3 games.

GTA 4 and 2 games via the PSN store, Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid. Used to own both these two oldies for my first Playstation. So I had to re-experience them. FF7 is still awesome.

Oh and I bought a PS3. May my bank account forgive me.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 08 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

#93 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

Final Fantasy 13. It was 60% off, couldn't resist.

ALso bought the God of War collection and inFamous last week.

#94 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

I'm gonna ask around if one of my buddies at work has God of War so I can punch it into a borrowed PS2... one says he has it on the PSP. Curious about that.

#95 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, there's one game for the PSP, I think it's called Chains of Olympus and it's supposedly as good as the PS2 games. Supposedly a new GOW for the PSP is also under way.

Having just begun GOW2 after completing GOW1 yesterday I can definitely recommend the games. Awesome action combined with interesting mythology and a great story. Kratos is an asshole.

#96 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

View PostAptorian, on 08 June 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

Bought 3 PS3 games.

GTA 4 and 2 games via the PSN store, Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid. Used to own both these two oldies for my first Playstation. So I had to re-experience them. FF7 is still awesome.

Oh and I bought a PS3. May my bank account forgive me.

Hurrah for oldies! I bought SSX Tricky the other day. I either used to own it or rented it like 3 times before, and it's still just as fun as before. Looked at the reviews on Gamefaqs and it seems a ton of people think SSX3 is better... but my main motivation in finding a used copy of Tricky was because SSX 3 sucks the big hairy donkey balls.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#97 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

What is SSX? Sega Saturn?

#98 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

creed 2.
only got a twenty inute window to play it so far so really no comment on it.
next weekend looks promising to bash it out a bit

#99 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostAptorian, on 16 June 2010 - 08:29 PM, said:

What is SSX? Sega Saturn?

Snowbard Supercross. Pretty sweet series of games. And I agree Tricky is much better than SSX3.

Bought Red Dead Redemption today. *salivates*

Although I don't have time to play it today... :thumbsup:
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

I went out and invested in a new Television a while ago and as such it has suddenly become much more enjoyable playing video games on the TV (it's twice as big).

Bought Assassins Creed 1 and 2 + X-men Origins: Wolverine a couple weeks ago for the PS3. Already played through AC1 and XO: Wolverine and I can not praise both of those games enough. Extremely entertaining in wildly different ways.

Also during the current Steam sale I've bought Dawn of War 1+2 plus one of the indie steam packs containing Machinarium and VVVVVVVVVVVV.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users