Malazan Empire: The game I bought today is... - Malazan Empire

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I bought today is... Bought any games recently? Share your excitement with us.

#121 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostVengeance, on 20 March 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

I just ordered Batman arkham asylum and Dragon Age Origins for the 360 from amazon. Yes I know I am a little behind the rest of you guys but I don't game a ton.

heh, no need to worry, Im still on DA:O Awakening. forgot I had it D: so i'll possibly move on to DA2 when i finish origins. see how that goes.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#122 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:27 AM

Batman Arkham Asylum is on Steam sale for $7.50... sooo tempting.

if I get this, i'm also gonna finally pick up S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

EDIT: I should not be allowed on steam.
currently d/l ing demos for Arkham and Bioshock, wanna see if my laptop can handle'em.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 24 March 2011 - 05:42 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#123 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:29 AM

Batman Arkham Asylum would be worth purchasing it on full price. 7,50 is a steal.

#124 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

Dunno, I played it for about 1-1.5 hours and it didn't really do anything for me. If the B-man had some melee weapons and ripped bad guys to shreds, maybe - but he's just punching them - WTF is that supposed to be? Weak.
Then again I never was a big Batman fan.

In other news, I bought Arcania: Gothic 4 for 12.50 EUR, and so far it is... meh. It's dumbed down beyond recognition; in fact, it's no longer a Gothic game in any aspect whatsoever. The game might do nicely as a separate game - it's easy and streamlined enough for console player / mass market mentality, I guess - and it's even a bit enjoyable as it goes on... but they really, really committed sacrilege by using the name Gothic.
In fact, this game seems like it should be called Arcania: Fable 4. Fucking hell. For it's defense, though, the visuals are simply stunning (not as good as Battlefield 3, but still great).
Give me Risen 2 already!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#125 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

stupid Batman demo won't load. apparently, it's a common launcher error.

and the help threads on eido forums do NOTHING!

arg.

re-d/ling the demo after running all sorts of updates. will check if this works in the morning.

#126 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

I think Arcania: Gothic 4 was slightly entertaining, and that was about it. I still hold that Gothic 2 is the best one (though I haven't played the first game)

In other news, I'm no longer playing Batman: Arkham Asylum by other means, because I just bought it :)
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#127 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 24 March 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

I think Arcania: Gothic 4 was slightly entertaining, and that was about it. I still hold that Gothic 2 is the best one (though I haven't played the first game)

The first game's interface, most notably trade screens, but other things too, is somewhat frustrating. Most actions that are fully automated in G2, in G1 required you to press direction buttons along with interacting with objects, for instance. Aside from that, and weaker graphics, it was a great, suitably dark and gritty game. You begin as a nameless convict thrown into a mining work camp where the prisoners have taken over. You're trash to everyone you meet, and you have to make a name (hah, well, you remain nameless forever :)) for yourself in that harsh environment. It's also when you first meet Diego, Gorn, Milten and Lester - Xardas, too! If you have the patience for the interface, I reccommend playing that game.
For me, from all the games released in and around the franchise, it's Gothic 2 > Risen > Gothic > Gothic 3 > Arcania.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#128 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of Arkham Asylum. It was fun enough, but very...linear, dare I say it. And while it was interesting, and had a decent feel to it, it wasn't that great.

And I kinda expected that with Arcania, unfortunately. Haven't even bothered to try it. But I didn't realize it was quite that pretty, Gothos! That's some impressive sounding graphics, lol.
Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#129 User is offline   Kalse 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

shouldnt you be writing a lynch scene in mafia :)

#130 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

after much tweaking and net searching, found a workaround to make the demo work. naturally, it runs slow as hell. it's like playing the entire game in slo-mo.
yay, integrated video cards, with their technically limitless potential. both both Batman and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. what else would I spend that $25 weekly bonus on?

#131 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

View PostGothos, on 24 March 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

The first game's interface, most notably trade screens, but other things too, is somewhat frustrating. Most actions that are fully automated in G2, in G1 required you to press direction buttons along with interacting with objects, for instance. Aside from that, and weaker graphics, it was a great, suitably dark and gritty game. You begin as a nameless convict thrown into a mining work camp where the prisoners have taken over. You're trash to everyone you meet, and you have to make a name (hah, well, you remain nameless forever :)) for yourself in that harsh environment. It's also when you first meet Diego, Gorn, Milten and Lester - Xardas, too! If you have the patience for the interface, I recommend playing that game.
For me, from all the games released in and around the franchise, it's Gothic 2 > Risen > Gothic > Gothic 3 > Arcania.

I purchased the Gothic set on Steam for $19 or so for all of them.. could not pass it up. Been getting stuck into Gothic1 and loving it! Cannot believe I never gave this game a chance back in the day. I find that when computer games didn't rely so heavily on graphics to be appealing, they concentrated more on the actual game play and made sure it was fun and entertaining, I love how just about everything in the game is interactive and the Humor is great, I find myself chuckling along time after time. It really doesn't phase me at all that the graphics are so old school, because I'm having such a great time playing it :)

I'll be going straight on to Gothic 2 after I beat 1, but Can any one convince me to play Gothic 3 or the forsaken gods Enhanced edition? because from what I've heard so far, its not worth the light of day. keeping in mind, I generally disagree with almost all reviews. if a game gets rated bad I'll most likely enjoy the hell out of its face. for example white knight chronicles. people hated it. I loved it. ff13 people hated it I liked it. ego Draconis I also quiet enjoyed. so I'm not too fussy when it comes to most RPG's I've tried. :)

This post has been edited by Sammehmander Rake: 28 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#132 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

Just finished Singularity, which was loads of fun, and now I've bought Bulletstorm, which is awesome. It's a lighter, funnier version of Gears of War, where you get extra points for killing enemies in inventive ways, like killing them by shooting them in the arse or balls. These Skillshots are called Rear Entry and Mercy respectively :)
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#133 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

Played Arkham Asylum for about 12 hours yesterday.

That game reminds me of Soul Reaver, in many ways

#134 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:26 AM

just bought and completed Dawn of war 2 choas rising, in about 2 days. I know its only an expansion but i was hoping for a lot more game play. the story was great and i enjoyed the missions and the new libarian unit has some awesome abilities. but less than two days gaming when im also busy with work and mafia is a bit disapointing. Hopefully retribution will keep me busy a little longer
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#135 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

View PostSammehmander Rake, on 25 March 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

View PostGothos, on 24 March 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

The first game's interface, most notably trade screens, but other things too, is somewhat frustrating. Most actions that are fully automated in G2, in G1 required you to press direction buttons along with interacting with objects, for instance. Aside from that, and weaker graphics, it was a great, suitably dark and gritty game. You begin as a nameless convict thrown into a mining work camp where the prisoners have taken over. You're trash to everyone you meet, and you have to make a name (hah, well, you remain nameless forever :D) for yourself in that harsh environment. It's also when you first meet Diego, Gorn, Milten and Lester - Xardas, too! If you have the patience for the interface, I recommend playing that game.

I purchased the Gothic set on Steam for $19 or so for all of them.. could not pass it up. Been getting stuck into Gothic1 and loving it! Cannot believe I never gave this game a chance back in the day. I find that when computer games didn't rely so heavily on graphics to be appealing, they concentrated more on the actual game play and made sure it was fun and entertaining, I love how just about everything in the game is interactive and the Humor is great, I find myself chuckling along time after time. It really doesn't phase me at all that the graphics are so old school, because I'm having such a great time playing it :)

I'll be going straight on to Gothic 2 after I beat 1, but Can any one convince me to play Gothic 3 or the forsaken gods Enhanced edition? because from what I've heard so far, its not worth the light of day. keeping in mind, I generally disagree with almost all reviews. if a game gets rated bad I'll most likely enjoy the hell out of its face. for example white knight chronicles. people hated it. I loved it. ff13 people hated it I liked it. ego Draconis I also quiet enjoyed. so I'm not too fussy when it comes to most RPG's I've tried. :D

Well, it IS a Gothic game, unlike Arcania. It's terribly buggy, but it certainly has the freedom element, and it can be just as challanging as the earlier two (hooray for fighting multiple animals at once. goddamn snappers! goddamn shadowbeasts!). It's not as good as g2, but it's a lot larger, a bit more diverse, with Nordmar and Varant providing a snowy environment and a desert... But I'd really urge you to play Risen, the spiritual successor.

View PostRoldom, on 29 March 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

just bought and completed Dawn of war 2 choas rising, in about 2 days. I know its only an expansion but i was hoping for a lot more game play. the story was great and i enjoyed the missions and the new libarian unit has some awesome abilities. but less than two days gaming when im also busy with work and mafia is a bit disapointing. Hopefully retribution will keep me busy a little longer

It has more replayability though, or so it is said, with corruption and purity and whatnot.

#136 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

I did a search for Risen on steam, it only came up with Gothic III - Forsaken Gods EE. which I'm guessing is not the same game. I'll have a look around for it. I still have a bit to go in 1 and 2 and im looking forward to exploring in Acarnia, I booted it up to see the graphics and boy was I impressed! I then proceeded to whack a few chickens with my Shepherd cane. good times.
— Anomander Rake

#137 User is offline   Red King 

• Mortal Sword of Dissembrae

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:27 AM

I recently just picked up The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for PC, and I got to say it is a very fun game. There is a lot of content and i've been playing the game for like three days now and i'm only into chapter two of the game, and there are like seven chapters. If you're looking for a game with a lot fo stuff to do and will definitely will suck up the hours if you let it.

- Ultor
'The locals believe Coltaine ascended, Nether. The new Patron of Crows-'
'Fools. Wickans do not ascend. We just ... reiterate.'

#138 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:30 AM

http://store.steampo....com/app/40300/ hai. Your detective skills need polishing (hah, see what I did thar!)! Or, Steam has localized offers...

#139 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

View PostGothos, on 29 March 2011 - 06:30 AM, said:

http://store.steampo....com/app/40300/ hai. Your detective skills need polishing (hah, see what I did thar!)! Or, Steam has localized offers...

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Yeah. Localized. thats a bummer.

Not only does steam not have it. I did an internet search on all the main game stores I frequent and alas. Risen does not exist. Not in Australia any way.

This post has been edited by Sammehmander Rake: 29 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

— Anomander Rake

#140 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:59 AM

That sucks. Seriously, I totally hate segmentising the fucking internet.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users