• You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2010 The Draw is here!

#41 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

Dear Leader demands your support:

poll for world cup winner.

It's the daily mail, so vote for North Korea just so we can (hopefully) see the headline:

"Daily Mail Readers want North Korea to win world cup"
meh. Link was dead :(

#42 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

View PostCocoreturns, on 06 January 2010 - 11:00 PM, said:

Dear Leader demands your support:

poll for world cup winner.

It's the daily mail, so vote for North Korea just so we can (hopefully) see the headline:

"Daily Mail Readers want North Korea to win world cup"

It's the Daily Mail, though, so they'd turn it around to read:

"Asylum seeker conspiracy puts North Korea top of World Cup Poll"
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#43 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Well North Korea currently has 69% of the votes. I suspect someone on 4chan got hold of that one. :nono:
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#44 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 January 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

Well North Korea currently has 69% of the votes. I suspect someone on 4chan got hold of that one. :D

not to mention that South Korea has 20% of its own :nono:
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#45 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Since we're out of this one after one of the most terryfing fuck-up second rounds in history (we were #1 in our qualifying group after the first round... go figure), I'll be able to be totally cool and not much fussed about this tournament again. Feels kinda cool. I don't even have any personal favourites this time either, so I'll just kick back and enjoy the show, focusing on the beauty of play instead of who'll win and who'll lose.
Also, cool that it's in our timezone again :p
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#46 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

I actually enjoyed that a lot with the last euro champs, when England messed up and didn't qualify. It is actually much more fun when your nerves aren't being shredded :p
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#47 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

England is going to walk through the U.S. Injuries have just decimated this team.

While the Top 11 are pretty good and can play with the best in the world on any day and hold their own, if not necessarily win more than 25% of the time, and players 12-14 are decent, the depth on this team is just horrific at striker and center defensive back. Our best striker (Davies, Sochaux or something like that), centerback (Onyewu AC Milan), and creative player (Dempsey Fulham) are all injured and might not play in the WC. For a team with this depth, that is devastating.

Oh well, at least my hopes are as high anymore.

Edit: We also have the worst left back of all time. Please god, start Spector at LB and Cherundolo at RB. Please, God. I'm begging.

This post has been edited by H.D.: 03 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#48 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:30 AM

100 Days to go (well 99, but close enough)! I dont suppose any of you lot have decided to make the trip out here to watch the games live?
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#49 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 22 January 2010 - 09:14 PM, said:

I actually enjoyed that a lot with the last euro champs, when England messed up and didn't qualify. It is actually much more fun when your nerves aren't being shredded :p

Yup. 2008 was actually the first time I've watched a semi-final in yonks. We normally go out at the quarters and I can't bear to watch again until the final (sometimes not even then).

Having said that, I wouldn't want to miss out again. Sometimes the nerves are a good thing :veryangry:
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#50 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

Only about 90 days then til every car has a little England flag hanging out of the window...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#51 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

How did I miss this thread?

I like Group D, it should make for interesting football soccer. Germany will, I suspect, take out the group despite intense competition, with even odds between Serbia and us I think. Ghana will probably surprise me, since I don't know much about them, so yeah.

Ivory Coast, Brazil, Spain or perhaps Germany ftw.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#52 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 March 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

Only about 90 days then til every car has a little England flag hanging out of the window...

You filthy chav. I bet you drive around honking your horn after every narrowly-scraped England win.

#53 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on 04 March 2010 - 11:09 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 March 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

You filthy chav. I bet you drive around honking your horn after every narrowly-scraped England win.

I didn't say I was going to do that, it just kind of happens... It's nice to see the country united for once... Start a war and half the country is uninterested, but get a football team into an international competition, and suddenly patriotism is all the rage again!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#54 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...all/8584868.stm
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#55 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

Ahhhhh ... fuck. :D

------------------------------

http://www.news.com....9-1225852086309

World Cup soccer teams in terrorists' cross hairs

* By Jana Winter, Fox News
* April 10, 2010 8:06AM

Al Quaeda has made fresh threats online that specifically target teams at June's FIFAWorld Cup in South Africa / AFP Source: AFP

* Al Quaeda makes World Cup threats
* Says the US vs England games is a perfect target
* South Africa beefs up security

AL Qaeda has put the American and British soccer teams directly in its cross hairs, circulating word online that the athletes are prime targets for an attack at the World Cup Games in South Africa in June, FOXNews.com reports.

The threats from al Qaeda target a range of teams competing at the World Cup, but the June 12 USA vs. England match, scheduled for live broadcast, is the terrorists’ top priority, according to threats published in an online Jihadist magazine.

“The game … is broadcast live. The stadium is full of a Crusader audience while the sound of a blast shocks the stands and turns the stadium on its head. God willing, there will [be] dozens and hundreds of casualties. 50 grams alone are sufficient for such an operation,” reads a post on the online magazine.

The South African Ministry of Police said it was aware of the threats, and the US State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security said it was providing support as the host country beefs up security in preparation for the tournament.

"Diplomatic Security's Office of Anti-Terrorism Assistance has provided training to the South African Police Service in the run up to the 2010 World Cup," a Diplomatic Security official said in a statement to FoxNews.com.

The jihadist article said al Qaeda will focus on striking countries taking part in the “Zionist-Crusader campaign on Islam,” and it specifically mentioned the American, British, Nigerian, Slovenian, French, German and Italian teams as targets. The jihadist author, Ubada bin Al-Samit, said nothing could be done to prevent the attack.

South African Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa said his force has been preparing for any potential threats since 2004.

-------------------------------------

Part of me isn't really surprised though, just disappointed. Yeah I know it's just sport, but can't the fuckers just leave a few things alone for everyone to enjoy?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#56 User is offline   Aristai 

• Captain

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

What do they have against the Slovenians?

#57 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

There's bound to be all sorts of threats from dickheads due to the publicity involved.

On a lighter note, I spent most of yesterday afternoon listening to Baddiel and Skinner's 2006 World Cup podcasts. Excellent stuff, can't wait for this year's podcast to start :D
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#58 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

The US might give up 10 goals to England.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#59 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

Hopefully they'll all be own goals, otherwise England might be struggling...
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#60 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Anyone else here in the UK hearing stories of some people in England being done for putting up England flags in support of the World Cup? Apparently, putting up flags from windows and cars is now considered racist as you might be offending people who aren't English.

Now I am not one of these people who are so passionate about football that I am going to be wondering around town with not much else on then a flag draped around my shoulders or something like that, but come on! Now people aren't allowed to show their support to their own country in their own country????????

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users