• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2010 The Draw is here!

#1 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

So, draw for the World Cup was today, and we ended up with the following groups:

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
Group B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece
Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia
Group E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark
Group F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia
Group G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal
Group H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland

I'm pleased - it's a nice easy draw for England. Feel a bit sorry for the Ivory Coast, who always seem to end up with horrific draws (last time it was Argentina and Netherlands...) Groups D and E also look pretty interesting.

Thoughts?
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

I'd say the same thing for the U.S. Much better than 2006.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yea I'm pumped for the US, granted they had a really tough draw last time around, but it was still a disappointing tourney for them. Hopefully they can get everyone healthy before it starts. I'm pumped because I might actually be going to South Africa and be able to catch a game or two!
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

Yada yada. I never realised the irish were such bad losers...

Groups D and G look to be the most interesting. The whole thing is slightly lopsided by giving South Africa a top seeding, but it seems to have worked out ok, since france are a top 8 team anyway. Predict a big showing from the african nations this year, especially Ghana and Ivory Coast, who have some really really good players. Bit of a shame that Egypt aren't there though, they always make for good viewing. Don't really know enough about the South American teams to tell who would go through from each group, but I do know one thing - I'm supporting the Kiwis ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

england will be found out as usual. technically poor and lacking the basic courage to win. imagine needing to look for sven for inspiration when they were one up at half time against brazil. lampard said they needed a churchill type speech. no you didn't. you needed some balls of your own. the great national teams manage themselves. brazil 94, france 98, they have on field leaders. england lack them.....................

france will implode. spectacularly. as will the dutch. austrailia will reach the semi finals along with usa.

spain will stroll to victory.

drogba to finish top scorer.

torres to be the best player.

This post has been edited by lord of tragedy: 04 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#6 User is offline   Infernikus 

• Recruit

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

I'm really happy with the draw, Chances are Brazil and Spain will have to face each other in the quarter finals so thats 1 big threat eliminated.

Although I am concerned with the eventual meeting with Germany as i can see England choking against them. That match just doesn't bring any good vibes from it. However on that note i do still hold that England have a good chance in winning it this time over.
Political correctness?
Bah who needs that!

#7 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

What an inappropriate little rant.

Anyway, I think people are underestimating the ability of the the USA and Slovenia to get a result of some kind against England. USA are a good side, very workmanlike and well capable of a draw and who knows, sneaking a win if England don't pull their finger out, same could be said of Slovenia.

I hope Ivory Coast fail again, I dislike Didier Drogba intensely.
I AM A TWAT

#8 User is offline   Infernikus 

• Recruit

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Ireland should be there dam Thierry "the cheat" Henry asshole !!!

Seriously, The Irish are the sorest losers i have ever come across.
I mean protests over a goal in football, need i say more
Political correctness?
Bah who needs that!

#9 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:00 AM

It doesn't matter what draw England get. I've seen enough World Cups to know they will make a meal of qualifying for the knock out stages, have a spectacular showing in the last 16/8 and then choke at the last 8/4. Still, decent draw to really put us through the grinder in the group stages.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:22 AM

I can't begin to tell you how much "hype" is going to surround our mutual first game, here. It'll be ridiculous of course. If we could hold to a draw or a 1-0 loss, I'd gladly take it. Something about the English national team gives ours fits, even when we are playing well. It's been speculated that England is one of the only teams in the world with a sort psychological advantage over us, as opposed to just being better (which can be matched by a team in good form).

Hopefully, all us English and Yanks can have fun with it. I hope we both advance. I always root for England when they aren't playing us.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:30 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 05 December 2009 - 03:22 AM, said:

England is one of the only teams in the world with a sort psychological advantage over us

Lol!! Well, at least we have psychological advantage over someone!

I love the World Cup. It is the best sporting occasion in the history of humanity.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

Well, our team is at its best when NOTHING is expected of them. Evidenced by 2002, and the recent Confederations Cup. For some reason, because most of the Americans who watch football tend to watch the Premiereship, there is more knowledge around about the English players. And which Americans are struggling over there as well.

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:43 AM

Gods irish fans grow up
you wouldn't have been inm the bloody playoff tpye thing if you hadn't got the faulty pen decision agaisnt georgia so shut the hell up
this villification of Henry is getting ridiculous. And you're really embarassing the rest of us that are labelled irish, pleasse, every mouthing ireland fan, stop speaking, right now.

Not an *easy* draw per say but theres noone there that england shouldn't bet comfortably if they play decent football. Slovenia possibly could force a draw if they dig in. I hvae trouble respectingg the US football team, I dont know why, I can't see them being too much of a threat despite recent matchs at that cup during the summer.

I think overall Spain has the easiest group.

Will be supporting Enlgand and Spain, Spain because I've always liked the spainish team. England becasue they are the only home nation involved
that said and england spain final would result in me screaming desperately for rooney and co to get a massive hammering ;)

#14 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

I'd suggest all the guys in Hibernia get behind Cote d'ivoire since the flag is jut yours upsidedown!
I AM A TWAT

#15 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 04 December 2009 - 10:40 PM, said:

Bit of a shame that Egypt aren't there though, they always make for good viewing.

If you had any memory of the infamous Ireland-Egypt match from World Cup '90 (a spectacular 0-0 snorefest), you'd never make a statement like that ;)

But seriously, with my moaning brethren (Ireland) out of the world cup picture, I'm hoping the kiwis manage to do themselves proud. Their group draw is about as good as they could have hoped for.

I was keeping an eye out to see how Ghana would do, and boy did they get a stinker of a group. If they come out of that group without injuries or suspensions, they'll be very dangerous.

I'm really just hoping that it's not going to come own to the usual suspects again though. I wouldn't mind seeing Spain manage to win it, as they played some amazing football at the European Championships.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#16 User is offline   luap 

• Recruit
  • Interests:reading, swimming and going to the gym

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

[quote name='Macros' date='05 December 2009 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1260006194' post='707978']
Gods irish fans grow up
you wouldn't have been inm the bloody playoff tpye thing if you hadn't got the faulty pen decision agaisnt georgia so shut the hell up
this villification of Henry is getting ridiculous. And you're really embarassing the rest of us that are labelled irish, pleasse, every mouthing ireland fan, stop speaking, right now.

Hate france so there ha ha relax!

#17 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Heh, bcause our poor squad didnt made it (thanks megaloser manager Rada, you killed two years of work), Im pretty relaxed and hope Ill enjoy good football. England-USA is interesting, type of match where one side can motivate itself to hell... 

I hope Cote DIvoire will surprise everyone, Im fan of african teams and its horrible Egypt didnt make it to tournament. And of course duo Japan-North Korea, total underdogs!

To Irish cause...its sad, but, cmon, its football, these underbelt hits happens all the time. Remember Spain and Italy at WC2002? Im so sorry for Ireland, but ... cīest la vie and France will be afwul under horrible command of Domenech (french version of Rada?). 

Winner - Brazil (unfortunately)

Best scorer - Villa

Biggest surprise - Serbia

Biggest shame - Argentina
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#18 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

I can see Slovakia surprising people. And biggest disappointment is a tossup between Portugal, France and Argentina, who's managers are crap, and Italy, who's defence is old and ponderous and midfield shockingly lacking in creativity.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#19 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

Slovakia suxx, believe me...our whole group was like paralympic games and our eastern bros were best... Ill be their fan, but...Iīve seen them and not once...and it hurt.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#20 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 05 December 2009 - 03:22 AM, said:

I can't begin to tell you how much "hype" is going to surround our mutual first game, here. It'll be ridiculous of course. If we could hold to a draw or a 1-0 loss, I'd gladly take it. Something about the English national team gives ours fits, even when we are playing well. It's been speculated that England is one of the only teams in the world with a sort psychological advantage over us, as opposed to just being better (which can be matched by a team in good form).

Hopefully, all us English and Yanks can have fun with it. I hope we both advance. I always root for England when they aren't playing us.

I'm always a bit apprehensive about England playing an English speaking team. Because England are the biggest and traditionally best of the English speaking countries, and have the whole colonial history thing going on with pretty much all of them, we stand out as a target and the team that they'd all especially love to beat. The opposing teams always seem especially pumped for the game, which can cause difficulties (For example, see the England-Australia game from a few years back. Also, I'd imagine the USA's famous victory over England back in the 50s was an example of that).

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users