• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2010 The Draw is here!

#441 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Germany 3-2, 10 minutes to go. Fingers crossed they can hold the Uru's out.

EDIT: and it stays that way, despite a dive by that filthy c**t Suarez getting then an indirect in front just outside the box right on full time - Forlan hit the crossbar, so a little bit of justice.

One more match and then hopefully I will never have to put up with the sound of vuvuzelas ever again. It's like a pressure comes off your ears when it stops.

Also, video umpires for (at least) dodgy in-the-box/goal decisions may become a reality soon. We can only hope.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 10 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#442 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir wollen brüsten seeeeeeeeeehn, wir wollen brüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüüsten seeeehn!!!!!

ahem. Good memories of German fans in Prague....

Congratulations Germany, well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Tapper: 10 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#443 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

God damn that last shot from Forlan was SOOOOOOOOOOOO close!\
A great, offensive game from both teams, I've got a feeling that the final won't be as awesome as this. I'd like Uruguay to win but you just can't ruin great scoring occasions like this.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#444 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Paul was right. Fuck. :)

Congrats to Spain.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#445 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Tough loss. Rough game to watch, too yellow happy for my tastes. But a deserved win by Spain. Netherlands had their shots, Casillas just came up huge.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#446 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

The Dutch Armada is probably bombarding the Spanish ports as we speak.

#447 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

The dutch armada is too busy wrecking bus stops in Amsterdam to bombard La Coruna.

Honestly, that game sucked balls from our side.

Far too many bad tackles, Spain was playing a gear too high for us to confidently catch up to. Also, De Jong's attack on Xabi Alonso should have been a red card. That aside, there was a feeling amongst my mates and I that Webb was a bit too happy to draw cards against us, for small things.

Damn :)

#448 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Man I wanted Holland to win I truly did, but Spain upped the pace a bit. And now New Zealand can claim to be the only team in the tournament without a loss. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#449 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:43 AM

View PostTapper, on 11 July 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

The dutch armada is too busy wrecking bus stops in Amsterdam to bombard La Coruna.

Far too many bad tackles, Spain was playing a gear too high for us to confidently catch up to. Also, De Jong's attack on Xabi Alonso should have been a red card. That aside, there was a feeling amongst my mates and I that Webb was a bit too happy to draw cards against us, for small things.

I was very dissappointed with the Dutch performance. They were very aggressive for such a talented team of ball players, too much so imho. Ok, so we all see each game from our own perspective and I can understand that, but you guys were fairly lucky that De Jong and Van Bommel even made it to half time. I think Webb (ref) was desperate to get through the tournament without giving a red and I honestly believe he was being lenient in the hope that the players would keep their game clean and hopefully produce a cracking match. Trouble is that giving footballers the benefit of the doubt rarely works and they just take the piss. I know Van Marwijk criticised the ref after the game but that was a bit rich really, considering how aggressively he sent the Dutch boys out there to play, and considering that he couldn't have had any complaints if his team were down to nine men by half time.
I am not trying to bash the Netherlands here, not at all. I am a great admirer of Dutch football and have wished for many years that we could emulate their system of youth development in Scotland. Would just add that the players mobbing the ref after the final whistle was shameful. I know they were upset and I can't imagine the emotions they were going through but the game was over and done and they were beaten by the better team. No shame losing to Spain, is there?

Well done to Spain, can't wait for them to come to Hampden in September...... :)
Victory is mine!

#450 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

hmm, I was at work, so only saw the first and last 30 minutes.

this game brought back strong feelings of nostalgia about a quarterfinal game, 4 years ago, Netherlands vs. Portugal. what was it, 20+ yellows that game?

to me it seems that there;s just something about how the Dutch play and how the Southern (italy, portugal, spain, all Latin American countries) teams play that just doesn't click. Personally, i'm a fan of giving it my all when on the field, and damn myself and all who get in the way, so nothing pisses me off more than divers. and that call second cal on Heitinga.... that totally looked like a dive on every replay.

that being said, the Spanish did seem to run circles around the Dutch defence, and I didn't see the active attacking Netherlands that we saw against the Urus.

All in all, I'm still unhappy, but not horribly so. Now, only 23 months left till Euros...

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 12 July 2010 - 01:37 AM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#451 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

Both teams played horribly. This was one of the ugliest and least fun to watch games in the entire tournament. I actually felt bad about watching it, it was that shit. I'd rather I didn't watch it at all and just looked at 3rd place match as the final and pretend this game didn't happen.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#452 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

View PostFist Gamet, on 12 July 2010 - 12:43 AM, said:

View PostTapper, on 11 July 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

I was very dissappointed with the Dutch performance. They were very aggressive for such a talented team of ball players, too much so imho. Ok, so we all see each game from our own perspective and I can understand that, but you guys were fairly lucky that De Jong and Van Bommel even made it to half time.

Agree. De Jong's charge on Alonso was particularly bad.
I think a lot of the fouls committed were because the spanish play was just a gear too high, meaning we arrived a split second too late and a sliding for the ball instead took the man down. They should have adjusted and close down more rapidly.

I think Webb (ref) was desperate to get through the tournament without giving a red and I honestly believe he was being lenient in the hope that the players would keep their game clean and hopefully produce a cracking match. Trouble is that giving footballers the benefit of the doubt rarely works and they just take the piss.

Not disputing that we deserved a shitload of yellow cards (also for the way several players commented on how Webb lead the game), but he also missed a few dives by Iniesta and several fouls by Spanish players that he gave, for a more or less equal foul, a yellow card to us for. Puyol in particular had to stop Robben a few times through fouls, and a second yellow there would have been justified, too. Moreover, it is a valid tactic to try and force an already penalized player to commit more faults (leading to a second yellow) or to force him to let the player with the ball through, and that was exactly what we tried to do to Puyol whenever Robben cut inward at the end of the first half and start of the second (when we had our best phase), and Puyol had to commit fouls then, and did so.

Webb also denied us a clear corner.

In the end however, I think the main reason why we caught that much yellow is because we failed to comprehend that Webb would allow shoulder-to-shoulder physical duels, but consequently gave a free-kick whenever someone played man and ball through a sliding tackle, which our guys employed in the hope to avoid duels against the fast spanish passing game and excellent ball control.

I know Van Marwijk criticised the ref after the game but that was a bit rich really, considering how aggressively he sent the Dutch boys out there to play, and considering that he couldn't have had any complaints if his team were down to nine men by half time.

Hehehe, you haven't heard Van Gaal. He was livid, but also predicted that Webb would take this approach before the game had even started. I also don't know if this was Van Marwijk or the defense and defensive midfielders feeling they'd have to compensate for the rapid spanish passing game... Only Van der Wiel and Van Bronckhorst played on top of their game.

I am not trying to bash the Netherlands here, not at all. I am a great admirer of Dutch football and have wished for many years that we could emulate their system of youth development in Scotland. Would just add that the players mobbing the ref after the final whistle was shameful. I know they were upset and I can't imagine the emotions they were going through but the game was over and done and they were beaten by the better team. No shame losing to Spain, is there?

Well done to Spain, can't wait for them to come to Hampden in September...... :)

Spain deservedly won. Jesus Navas and Xabi in particular were plagues for our defense.

Bringing Braafheid on for Van Bronckhorst when Gio was responsible for intercepting the majority of through balls was disastrous. Bringing Ooijer for Heitinga or De Zeeuw for De Jong would have been a much, much better decision, imho, we knew a second yellow was just waiting to happen.

I agree with Gothos that the saturday night game was a whole lot better :p

#453 User is offline   Aristai 

• Captain

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Van Bommel's near-superhuman ability to evade a sending in each and every game, has to rank as a highlight of the tournament to me.

#454 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

View PostAristai, on 12 July 2010 - 11:15 AM, said:

Van Bommel's near-superhuman ability to evade a sending in each and every game, has to rank as a highlight of the tournament to me.

Watch how he sucks up to the referee. He plays it really, really smart... a hand on the back here, a nod there, asking the referee to help him up after he's taken a knock... it's an art.

#455 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

View PostGothos, on 12 July 2010 - 06:20 AM, said:

Both teams played horribly. This was one of the ugliest and least fun to watch games in the entire tournament. I actually felt bad about watching it, it was that shit. I'd rather I didn't watch it at all and just looked at 3rd place match as the final and pretend this game didn't happen.

Reckon that's a bit harsh, Gothos. It wasn't a classic, no, but it was far from being the worst game of the tournament. This was high stakes, high tempo, passionate football and Spain played some sublime football at times. The movement and interplay between Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso was brilliant. So much so that a very talented Dutch team struggled to contain them. Sure, it wasn't as good as the Germany Uruguay game but it was still a pretty good game.
Victory is mine!

#456 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Accursed kraken! :)

#457 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

De Jong should definitely have walked, the most blatant raised foot/drop kick in the tournament, I think Cantona would have been proud.
Pretty poor game, exciting at the end though. I didn't think Webb did overly bad, a few bad calls, the worst being not dropping the number of players a lot earlier, how there were 22 on the field for so long is totally beyond me. Better team won on the day, but player of the tourney has to be Van Bommels card dodging antics

#458 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

View PostMacros, on 12 July 2010 - 09:16 PM, said:

but player of the tourney has to be Van Bommels card dodging antics

Nah, it's Paul the Octopus.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#459 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 13 July 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 12 July 2010 - 09:16 PM, said:

but player of the tourney has to be Van Bommels card dodging antics

Nah, it's Paul the Octopus.

So, anyone (re-)reading China Mieville's Kraken with renewed interest? :)

Share this topic:

• 23 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users