Malazan Empire: KICK-ASS - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KICK-ASS kicks major ass and then some...

#61 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 April 2010 - 09:45 AM, said:

Speaking of which, have you lot seen the Daily Mail review? If I hadn't already been aware of Chris Tookey I'd be convinced that's a joke.

That's hilarious. Especially as all the pre-release hype was "The Daily Mail are going to go mad from this". He really concentrates on the sexualisation of hit girl. I didn't notice that at all, barring the use of the C-word. She dressed really childlike so the only problem is in the fact that society has sexualised school skirts and pigtails, not the movie. Still, the guys gotta make a living.

View PostGothos, on 06 April 2010 - 10:14 AM, said:

I'm not a big fan of comic books or comic book movies so I guess the film won't be as much of a hit for me as for you guys. Even the trailers only got me a "meh" kind of smile, but maybe I'll give it a go... but I'm reluctant to pay for it at a cinema.

In that case, you might like it because it takes the piss out of the superhero tropes at the same time as engaging with them wildly.

But enough of this analysis! It's just a fun watch.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#62 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Bloody excellent show!

Agree with many of the above points as well. If you notice the sexualisation of Hit Girl - you aren't watching the movie. Well-balanced. By that I mean serious when it has to be, but tongue firmly in cheek with a great sense of humour otherwise.

Do yourself a favour and go see it. If you don't laugh a few times at least, you are cold and dead inside.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#63 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

View PostSombra, on 10 April 2010 - 03:08 PM, said:

Bloody excellent show!

Agree with many of the above points as well. If you notice the sexualisation of Hit Girl - you aren't watching the movie. Well-balanced. By that I mean serious when it has to be, but tongue firmly in cheek with a great sense of humour otherwise.

Do yourself a favour and go see it. If you don't laugh a few times at least, you are Gothos.

Fixed for you. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#64 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

Got to see it last night. "Watchmen" meets "School of Rock" meets "American Pie" meets "Jackass" with a slight, but not unpleasant "Kill Bill" aftertaste. I give it a solid B.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#65 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

I haven't laughed so hard since I watched In the Loop. Great movie.

Also, Cage really pulls off his role and how ridiculous it is.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 18 April 2010 - 05:45 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#66 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:52 AM

My review was in the Ye Olde Movie Thread:

However: It's awesome. 9/10.

Funny, violent, and eccentric. An awesomely eclectic mix that turns out very well. Originality is always appreciated.

Morgy thought the same thing I did with Nic Cage.... dude is eccentric as all fucking get out, and yet he can nail those roles well.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#67 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

Saw it yesterday. Loved it.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#68 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Saw it yesterday with 5 of my friends, and we were laughing the whole time. It was very enjoyable, had lots of gore, and did so many cliches well.
I thought it was going to be an ok movie, but it turned out to be so much better than the commercials portrayed it to be.

#69 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:43 AM

Not all comedy appeals to me to be completely honest...some are just dumb.

This however had to be one of my favorite comedy's ever. I was in tears! I loved it.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 30 April 2010 - 03:44 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#70 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Strange. After all the praise in this thread I was expecting something better when I went to see it today.

To be honest I came out a bit underwhelmed. The Kick-Ass persona turned out to be kind of boring, only got to see him do one fight and that was it. I was expecting there to be whole series of encounters slowly honing him to become a passable melee fighter. Instead he just remained a well intending nerd in a suit. The Kick-Ass character really wasn't very Kick-Ass as Big Daddy points out. I know that was the whole point, but they could have done something more out of that.

In comparison with the Big Daddy and Hit Girl scenes, the rest of the film sort of fades. When there was violence, lots of violence, the film was great. When not, it was just an around average teenage comedy type thing.

Disappointed Apt was Disappointed.

I preferred Ironman 2.

#71 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

Thankfully, its well established that your taste in movies is as distanced from anything human as Sarah Jessica Parker.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#72 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

You mean my taste is Godlike? Hmm, I never thought about that but I think you are right on that account.

#73 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Finally watched it.
I understand why they had to change some things for the big screen. But slightly disappointed with one or two of the changes that i think were unnecessary.

Other than that, i walked out of the cinema with a big smile on my face....was great great fun.
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#74 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 13 May 2010 - 05:38 PM, said:

Thankfully, its well established that your taste in movies is as distanced from anything human as Sarah Jessica Parker.

View PostAptorian, on 13 May 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

You mean my taste is Godlike? Hmm, I never thought about that but I think you are right on that account.

So in effect you're saying that SJP is either God or the Devil (if we assume Lucifer to be somewhere near Yahweh's weight class, or as near as anything that ISN'T God is likely to get)? That seems to be your logic ... :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#75 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

Anything that looks that hideous and yet by some people is still considered to be attractive has to have some sort of supernatural power...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#76 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

View PostMTS, on 14 May 2010 - 09:38 AM, said:

Anything that looks that hideous and yet by some people is still considered to be attractive has to have some sort of supernatural power...

WITCHCRAFT!!!

*grabs torch and pitchfork*
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#77 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:31 PM

View PostSombra, on 14 May 2010 - 09:30 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 13 May 2010 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 13 May 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

So in effect you're saying that SJP is either God or the Devil (if we assume Lucifer to be somewhere near Yahweh's weight class, or as near as anything that ISN'T God is likely to get)? That seems to be your logic ... :)

That was Morgoths assumption not mine,That was clearly his meaning, I don't know how you could read it in any other way :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users