• You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan World Map Unofficial map of the world. Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Sciz 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

View PostWerthead, on 25 May 2010 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostSciz, on 23 May 2010 - 10:08 PM, said:

I just started reading the lees of laughter's end, and right in the beginning there's a sentence that clashes with werthead's map in the beginning of this topic.

West of Theft, the Tithe Strait opens out into the Wastes. A vast stretch of ocean through which naught but the adventurous and the foolhardy dared brave the treacherous, dubious sea-lanes as far as the red road of Laughter's End, and from there, onward to the islands of the Seguleh and the southern coast of Genabackis, where the lands of Lamatath offered sordid refuge for pirates, wastrels, the rare trader and the ubiquitous pilgrim ships of the Fallen God.

This clearly (at least to me) states that Genabackis should lie northwest of Theft, as i'd see the sea-lane would go west, then north to the Seguleh islands and then Genabackis. But the maps we have here all put Theft way southeast of Genabackis. I'm not sure how that's possible if the ocean between Genabackis and Theft lies west of Theft.

Theft lies off the coast of Korelri immediately south-east of Quon Tali, close to the straits between Malaz Island and Korelri. So that locks Theft into that location. Due north obviously is Quon Tali and then Seven Cities, so Genabackis from Theft lies north and east. That's the only thing that makes sense, unless people travel west from Theft, avoiding Seven Cities and Lether and then travel north-west to Genabackis. It doesn't make much sense (a bit like travelling from Australia to Alaska by going west through the Indian and Atlantic Oceans into the South Pacific and then up the west coast of the Americas rather than just straight north-east) to do it that way but arguably it would work.

The far more logical conclusion is that Erikson misremembered or put 'west' instad of 'east'.

Probably. Just like i accidentally put east instead of west in my above post :)

This post has been edited by Sciz: 25 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

#82 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

A very nice version of the map courtesy of 'Sadist' at the Cartographer's Guild.

Outdated thanks to the info from Hetan and Mal, certainly, but nevertheless visually impressive, to the point where I'll happily stretch the screen out for it:

Posted Image
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#83 User is offline   Eispeis 

• Trygalle Trade Guild Route Planner

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

View PostWerthead, on 26 May 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

A very nice version of the map courtesy of 'Sadist' at the Cartographer's Guild.

I don't think "very nice" cuts it. This is more t*ts out beautiful. Love it!

This post has been edited by Eispeis: 26 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

#84 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

Sadist is now working on a new map based on the info from this thread :laughing: Also, and this is cool, he is using the globe-wrapping feature from GoogleEarth to make sure the distances and directions work on a globe as well.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#85 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

That is bloody awesome! Wert, can you please link Sadist to this thread and maybe he'll come on and present himelf formally (hopefully along with the other versions of his map!)?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#86 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:06 AM

wow this is an amazing map and some awesome news. we need this sadist to come say hi so we can accolade him/her to death
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#87 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

Likes!

#88 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:45 AM

Hi guys!
I just joined up after Werthead made a few replies to my post on the map that I did...
with all the information here I'm not even sure where to start, but I'm glad you all like the outdated version :laughing:
I am working on a new version, and all this information is going to help immensely!
I have most of the terrain for Genabackis mapped out already, and you can see that over here: Genabackis Map. it's full size, meaning that the end result will be ginormous, but I think it should look good!
The most recent version is at the bottom,
BTW isn't there a way to upload images as thumbnails on here?
peace!

#89 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

hi again!
I was just thinking about something, there are many different versions and variations and arrangements of continents that I keep seeing, and I'm still at a loss as to where to start...
I tenuously put this together, what does everyone think?
either that, or maybe there could be a vote on 3 or four different layouts?

Attached File  Malaz map layout.jpg (37.2K)
Number of downloads: 19

Please let me know what you think

#90 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Werthead, that map is truly amazing
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#91 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hey Sadist! Nice map there, quite the effort! I wouldn't be myself though if I didn't point something out - the terrains are totally off, I understand the current ones are just random filler, but will you be adding proper placements for deserts, jungles, forests, ice fields, grasslands, savannah, steppes and the like as well?

Gothos, wondering if the Stormwall is visible from space.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#92 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

View PostGothos, on 27 May 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Hey Sadist! Nice map there, quite the effort! I wouldn't be myself though if I didn't point something out - the terrains are totally off, I understand the current ones are just random filler, but will you be adding proper placements for deserts, jungles, forests, ice fields, grasslands, savannah, steppes and the like as well?

Gothos, wondering if the Stormwall is visible from space.

howdy!
yeah, the terrains will be as close to the books as possible
check out this link: Genabackis Map. still needs some fine-tuning, but it should give you a bit of an idea :laughing:

Sadist thinks the stormwall should be visible from space.
but first he has to figure out the pesky continents!

#93 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Meh can't see them without registering over there! Crafty way of getting more users! :>
These are really good. Wouldn't hurt to add a black river of obsidian at Morn, and a glacier up in the north. No info on Elingarth and the Seguleh Island hurts.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#94 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

they do the same on this board.
Isn't there any way to upload pictures as thumbnails on here?
any code I can slip in?

#95 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

[ img]<image url here>[ /img] to insert full-sized images. Dunno about thumbnails.

#96 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

Here we go, gotta love imageshack

if the thumbnail doesn't bring up the full size then click on the direct link below it

Posted Image

http://img84.imagesh.../genabackis.jpg

#97 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

View PostSadist, on 27 May 2010 - 06:47 AM, said:

hi again!
I was just thinking about something, there are many different versions and variations and arrangements of continents that I keep seeing, and I'm still at a loss as to where to start...
I tenuously put this together, what does everyone think?
either that, or maybe there could be a vote on 3 or four different layouts?

Attachment Malaz map layout.jpg

Please let me know what you think

Generally the positioning of all the continents looks about right to me.

Some points though:
-Some of those continent shapes are the old ones, like Lether with the big Kolanse blob in the south - as of DoD we know Kolanse is on the east coast of Lether, Bael is in fact connected to Assail, etc.
-Not sure if a big consensus was ever really reached on this but as I outlined earlier in this thread there's a lot more evidence for Jacuruku being on the East side of Korel than on the West, and likely not so blobular as Kyle-and-co. were traveling north-south along its coast. It should also have its north shore actually be a bit more north than the top of Korel, based on Kyle-and-co. as well as Iron Bars' adventures.
-Asail remains a big question mark as Bael at its most southern tip is vaguely southeast of Stratem, but the Wreckers' Coast on the north end is vaguely between central Genebackis and Lether. However, the super-long narrowness of it is a bit odd and doesn't jive well with the easy ship passage around it to Mare and Jacuruku...

All in all, though I'm looking very, very forward to what's going to come out of this!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#98 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Goddamn Sadist, it looks awesome!
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#99 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

yeah, I'm working on reworking the shapes of the landmasses, my biggest problem here though is you can't put a square map on a sphere. Even if the Malaz world is earth size, or larger, or smaller, when you unwrap the sphere and stratch out the features you still get a map that is twice as broad as it is high. I'm having huge problems reconciling the scale of the landmasses with their locations...they just don't fit...

Lether can't be nearly 2/3rds the landmass of 7cities and sit right under it, while at the same time maintaining a fairly close proximity to Assail
and there's no way that Jac can sit higher than Korel, because then it runs into the 7 cities continent, if you move it far enough east to miss 7C then you hit into Lether. X( headache ensues...
I think I'm going to stretch a few things out and rearrange as best I can, then I'll post a new layout up here soon, but I'm going to put Lether back closer to Wert's original position but further over, and build up 7C a bit more as well as raise the scale on Gena...I'll see about fixing that Assail problem as well, I wasn't happy with how that looked at all!

Thanks for the input D'rek, it is definitely obvious that this was the place to be showing the maps as I go along, I can get so much more detailed input, and hopefully I'll come up with a more accurate (sort of) map
Cheers!

This post has been edited by Sadist: 27 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

#100 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

View PostOzymandiac, on 27 May 2010 - 04:09 PM, said:

Goddamn Sadist, it looks awesome!

Thanks Ozymandiac!

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First