• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan World Map Unofficial map of the world. Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Ok, I think I have it...
I stretched and rearranged a few things, moving Jac back over to the east of Korelri, adjusted the shape of Assail (I know that's a really long tail on the way to Bael, it's on the bottom of the map and it gets all pinched on a sphere)
I'll probably move the Genostel islands over to the other side of the map, but otherwise I think this is what I'm going to use, except for making minor adjustments and adding islands and bays and things to give the continents a more cohesive look,
what do you all think?

Attached File  Malaz map.jpg (41.91K)
Number of downloads: 78

#102 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

View PostSadist, on 28 May 2010 - 08:25 AM, said:

Ok, I think I have it...
I stretched and rearranged a few things, moving Jac back over to the east of Korelri, adjusted the shape of Assail (I know that's a really long tail on the way to Bael, it's on the bottom of the map and it gets all pinched on a sphere)
I'll probably move the Genostel islands over to the other side of the map, but otherwise I think this is what I'm going to use, except for making minor adjustments and adding islands and bays and things to give the continents a more cohesive look,
what do you all think?

Attachment Malaz map.jpg

I think it looks good. It's worth noting that in Return of the Crimson Guard Kyle can see the shore of Assail from the coast of Bael, and I gather he was near the western-most tip of the subcontinent, so that means Assail's shore comes within 50 or so miles of Bael's coast.

I really like the look of Korelri, looks much better than any of my attempts. Korel and Stratem do appear to have been two subcontinents that have collided, throwing up the Aurgatt Range, but I also remember in MoI it is said that Stratem consists of (or contains) a single large peninsular extending out into the ocean. I assume the semi-inland Sea of Chimes separates this peninsular from Korel, with the Aurgatt Range springing up along the meeting of the two landmasses.

I'd also push Jacuruku over closer to Korel. In MoI we are told the two landmasses are sister-continents, and K'rul steps from one continent to the other without too much hassle. Genabackis being further south I like, and the desert wastelands at the southern end of the continent (near Morn) could be interpreted as being equatorial. However, I'd probably say move Genabackis a bit further north, maybe so its northern tip is level with the northern edge of Otataral Island. That still allows the Malazans to land on both eastern and western coasts of Genabackis (by sailing around the northern tip of the continent) from the invasion staging grounds in Seven Cities with no real difficulties.

Everything else you're good on, I think.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#103 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

i think this is my favourite arrangement of continents so far. great job sadist :rofl:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#104 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Don't have the quote at the moment but re:Wert's comment of seeing the shore of Assail from Bael -> I don't think it was the "shore" of Assail, just Kyle's grandfather pointing out where the land changed, saying "that's Assail lands, don't go there". So Bael could be pretty blobularly attached to Assail, doesn't have to be a narrow reach or anything like that connecting them.

Jacuruku really does need to be north of Stratem. Kyle+Ereko, etc. travel north to reach it's west coast, then travel north some more along its coast to reach the Dolmans. Iron Bars commandeers his ship near Jacuruku and has them travel southwest to get to Stratem.

I really don't think Genebackis needs to be quite that big, but it's possible.

If you cut down the northeast part of Lether's northern ice fields and the bit sticking up from the east side of lether then it could sit in a bit of a groove where the east end of Lether (Kolanse) is south of Nemil (7C) and the eastern half of Lether can still extend north to be more or less west of Nemil.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#105 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

View PostGothos, on 27 May 2010 - 09:34 AM, said:

Meh can't see them without registering over there! Crafty way of getting more users! :>
These are really good. Wouldn't hurt to add a black river of obsidian at Morn, and a glacier up in the north. No info on Elingarth and the Seguleh Island hurts.

that's right, obsidian river, I remember now...it was pretty vast though wasn't it? Toc and Lady envy were there for a while weren't they?
are you sure there was a glacier up at the top of Genebackis though? I can't remember, and my little brother has all the books with him, any quotes? how far does it extend out from the land, etc.

#106 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

Here's the layout based on Steve's map that Mal and I have seen with some continents re-sized and flipped and a few altered in shape slightly. Bear in mind that this map is subject to change as the authors may have decided between now and then that they wanted stuff elsewhere! It's as near as I can get it anyway, given my complete lack of skilz in this department :o

Oh yeah also, Assail/Stratem are cut off on the right hand side of the map so no idea what their actual size is, also the west coast of Genebackis. In addition there's a apparently a continent at the bottom that has no name, but it may also have no place in the books, or have been done away with altogether. And yes, I know that the placement of some of these places makes no sense, but I only posted my version so that you guys would have some idea of the sizes of these continents in relation to each other. Also - Lether is not necessarily that shape any more :p

Attached File  Map4.png (589.7K)
Number of downloads: 77
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#107 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

The obsidian river was allegedly vast enough to cover from horizon to horizon I think. Any reference is in MoI.
As for the northern edge of Genabackis, I thought there was some serious icing going on west of Teblor lands, but I might be wrong, I can't really recall anything solid to back this up.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#108 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:50 AM

hey all, here's some of the most recent work at 35% scale, I took in the info from everyone and rearranged things a bit more... I overlaid an image of our world map, to give me an idea about how much the continents get skewed at the poles, so the shapes are a bit stretched, but don't worry, that is how it's supposed to be
cheers!

Posted Image

http://img18.imagesh...alazmapcopy.jpg

This post has been edited by Sadist: 01 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

#109 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

i take it back, this is my favourite map yet. i really like what you've done with the mostly unmapped continents, korel, stratem, jacuruku and assail. gives a real nice complete feeling

- Oscar Levant

#110 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Jacuruku is way to big - on Steve's own map it's smaller than Quon Tali, which is also too small on this map.
I've given an indication of the sizes, shapes and positioning above.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#111 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

hmm...ok that's one order of scale reduction on Jac,
not sure what to do about Quon's size...I stretched everything a bit so it would fit on a globe, so some of the sizes will look a little off (kind of like Greenland looks nearly as big as the continental US on our planet) I'll see if I can load up some shots from google earth

#112 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

here we go!

Attached File  globe4.jpg (36.25K)
Number of downloads: 40
Attached File  globe3.jpg (44.43K)
Number of downloads: 21
Attached File  globe2.jpg (44.35K)
Number of downloads: 19
Attached File  globe1.jpg (47.02K)
Number of downloads: 27

#113 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

WOW!!! That's some incredible work sadist - Kudos to your self and also to werthead and others who put a lot of work into it all over the last couple years..

The landmasses look very large when put on a globe dont they. Maybe just the effect of seeing it that way?? Awesome work!

This post has been edited by waylander001: 01 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#114 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

Sadist you wonderful, beautiful, amazing bastard! you've made me the happiest girl in the world!

- Oscar Levant

#115 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

View PostHetan, on 01 June 2010 - 06:36 AM, said:

Jacuruku is way to big - on Steve's own map it's smaller than Quon Tali, which is also too small on this map.
I've given an indication of the sizes, shapes and positioning above.

If Jacuruku gets any smaller I'm going to have trouble believing it's a "sister" continent to Korel, or even a continent at all... plus it has to have enough size for neighboring kingdoms at war with each other after all...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#116 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

thanks so much for the support! Honestly this is in my opinion a community effort, everyone's input has helped tremendously, and I hope to continue getting it as the map continues
but here's the latest work...click here:

http://img710.images...84/malazmap.jpg
for full resolution :o

Attached File  thumbnail copy.jpg (332.25K)
Number of downloads: 12

This post has been edited by Sadist: 01 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

#117 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

i think jacuruku/korel/stratems deal is that they were all one continent at one point, which jacuruku broke away from early on, thus, it is korels "ancient sister continent." but its size probably makes it more of a subcontinent. of course, as mentioned up thread, it could be that jacuruku and korel were the only original members of the contient and stratem collided with korel from the south to make the aurgautt range

- Oscar Levant

#118 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

I love this map, good work all involved.

After looking at all the new information provided... i'd say that little continent by assail without a name is probably bael, with assail moved down a bit closer to it (or bael moved up).

Re the jackuru koreli stratem sub cluster, it looks like SE has jackuru the wrong way round on his map, and stratem would appear to fit in just under and below koreli after being cut off on the map. It looks like you have koreli way to big on your map, which is why jackuru is too big. Using my new unit of measurement the quon tali (not quite as good as wales), i'd say korel/startem/jackuru together take up maybe 2.5 quon talis, with korel being 1.2 quons, jackuru 0.8 and stratem 0.5 - or at least that is my sense of how big they are. Re jackuru being too small, quon had several kingdoms battling out on it before the malazans took over, its not unreasonable for it to be small, I think in real world terms by that map quon is still a similar size to europe.

#119 User is offline   Hetan 

• View gallery

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

@ D'rek - not my problem, it's not my world. I'm scaling by the map that I have here.

@ Sadist - in your post #116 - what is the thing to the right of Lether supposed to be? If it's the Genostel peninsula then please see my map above - it's to the eastern side of Genebackis and long and narrow.

#120 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

View PostHetan, on 01 June 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

@ D'rek - not my problem, it's not my world. I'm scaling by the map that I have here.

@ Sadist - in your post #116 - what is the thing to the right of Lether supposed to be? If it's the Genostel peninsula then please see my map above - it's to the eastern side of Genebackis and long and narrow.

er, not quite sure, just some extrapolation off of 7c I think, genostel is supposed to be an archipelago isn't it? It isn't currently showing up on this map here, it will get there don't worry.
I saw your map, and arranged things as best I could with the information that I had. I couldn't set everything out the way you showed them because it wouldn't work on a sphere, (I'm pretty sure the map should fit out on a globe) so I did my best to put it together. Unless I can actually SEE the map that you see I won't be able to do much more, this is as close as I can get whilst maintaining the aesthetics of the map, otherwise you'd get extremely pinched and silly looking continents.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users