• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan World Map Unofficial map of the world. Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 01 June 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

After looking at all the new information provided... i'd say that little continent by assail without a name is probably bael, with assail moved down a bit closer to it (or bael moved up).

Bael is connected by land to Assail, I'm sure of it. I suppose I'll have to look up the quote though since no one ever seems to believe me.

Honestly I think we're all just better obsessives than SE/ICE are themselves so our map is definitely going to be more accurate (unless of course they visit this thread and see how wrong they are)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#122 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

View PostD, on 01 June 2010 - 08:14 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 01 June 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

After looking at all the new information provided... i'd say that little continent by assail without a name is probably bael, with assail moved down a bit closer to it (or bael moved up).

Bael is connected by land to Assail, I'm sure of it. I suppose I'll have to look up the quote though since no one ever seems to believe me.

Honestly I think we're all just better obsessives than SE/ICE are themselves so our map is definitely going to be more accurate (unless of course they visit this thread and see how wrong they are)

I believe you regarding Bael and Assail. I read it somewhere but can't remember where (RotcG?)

And yes, we will definately have a better map - until they decide that stuff isn't where they said it was :o
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#123 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:18 AM

they can just edit the books to fit the map :o

BTW, is anyone having any problems viewing that link to the full-size version?
A couple of people weren't able to open it over at Cartographer's Guild,
so I want to make sure the same problem isn't happening here
thanks!

#124 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hetan, on your map the long, thin landmass next to Genabackis is Genostel, not Assail? That makes Genostel a continent (larger than Jacuruku from the look of it), not an archipelago as mentioned in the books?

Also, does Genabackis really end just off the edges of the maps in the book (ending up looking like a snail without a shell) or is there substantially more land there then we've allowed for?

If we take the 1 league = 3 miles standard (I believe SE has not confirmed this, but this is the fantasy default measurement), than Quon Tali is about the same size as Australia (which also looks very small on world maps) and the 7C subcontinent about the size of the continental US, which seems to track.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#125 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Sadist: wonders why maps aren't being sent to the map makers,
this is a bit like the game blind man's bluff, where you're blindfolded and your partner has to tell you where to go; you keep tripping on things

#126 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Very impressive work. Thank you for putting in so much time and effort; stuff like this really increases my enjoyment of the books and the Malazan world.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#127 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

Thanks ansible! words like that help me enjoy putting in the work!

Here's some of the latest work
I started putting in some city names and a few other details, I mainly want to see how readable it is
I also started conjecturing on the east side of 7 cities, the major feature might be the ice in the south, as I was looking at how Quon Tali and Lether lined up I thought: Hey, what if the Jhagut ritual passed through 7 cities as well? since we don't really know anything either way I thought I'd put it in and see what everyone thought

(This is full size by the way)

hope you like it!

Attached File  Quon and 72.jpg (1.94MB)
Number of downloads: 14

#128 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

The detail in that map is something else sadist, way to go! Crazy the amount of detail you can put onto it. Keep up the good work :laughing:
There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#129 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

I am in awe. If you need help getting names for some of the rest of the continent let me know and I'll see what I can pull out for you.

#130 User is offline   Nagrom 

• Bard
  • Interests:music, music and Malazan

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

Wow! :laughing:

#131 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

View PostWerthead, on 02 June 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

Hetan, on your map the long, thin landmass next to Genabackis is Genostel, not Assail? That makes Genostel a continent (larger than Jacuruku from the look of it), not an archipelago as mentioned in the books?

Also, does Genabackis really end just off the edges of the maps in the book (ending up looking like a snail without a shell) or is there substantially more land there then we've allowed for?

If we take the 1 league = 3 miles standard (I believe SE has not confirmed this, but this is the fantasy default measurement), than Quon Tali is about the same size as Australia (which also looks very small on world maps) and the 7C subcontinent about the size of the continental US, which seems to track.

On the map that I have seen it is marked as Genostel with Assail and Bael being directly below Genebackis. Genebackis is cut off a little on the version that we have - basically the curve from Nathilog to Morn, from what we've seen on the publishedmaps, Likewise with Korel and Stratem (bottom right) - it doesn't look like there's a lot cut off there either.

As I said before - the map was drawn a long time ago though and the author's may have revised and re-positioned things.

@ Sadist - that is amazing! thanks for bringing it to life.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#132 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

Amazing map Sadist. Is the star for Malaz City supposed to denote it as the capital, as even though the Empire obviously started there, Unta is now the imperial capital.

Also, you could put Jakatan (sp?) on the other side of Malaz isle, as it is supposed to be quite large, and it seems that the currency is named after it, so it is presumably sort of important.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

#133 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:14 AM

ahh, I knew there would have been a few things I had forgotten,
thanks for the reminder on the capital.

but what's Jakatan?

#134 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:19 AM

ahh, that's right, Jakata, I remember now,
it helps to drink some cofffee
it wasn't on this scale of the maps, but I can put it in

just a note: if anyone catches anything I miss, please let me know asap, I'm sure I'm going to miss things here and there (like which frickin city is the capital (facepalm) but I'll fix em in each concurrent render.

#135 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:37 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 03 June 2010 - 08:01 PM, said:

I am in awe. If you need help getting names for some of the rest of the continent let me know and I'll see what I can pull out for you.

Thanks Historian!
I could definitely use anything you could get me,
once I get all the basic canon details in I'm gonna start putting in some hidden goodies

#136 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

just finished inputting all the names from the bookmaps and brushing up a few details...

here's the link:
http://img203.images...80/quonand7.jpg

also here's one of the symbols that will go on the map in a few key places :laughing:

Attached File  Bridgeburners.gif (38.27K)
Number of downloads: 4

#137 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Brilliant stuff.

Possible suggested additions/changes:

On the 7C map, it may be worth adding the SEEKER'S DEEP label to the eastern-most sea (I'd put in the big empty space south-east of Aren) and moving the REACHER'S OCEAN label out into the open ocean rather than the strait between the islands. There's also the STRAIT OF STORMS south of Malaz Island and Theft and the Korelri mainland not far to the south (although you may want to hold out for the Stonewielder map for more information and better placement of those landmasses). You may also want to change KARAKARANG on Otataral into the 7C font, as it is one of the big Seven Holy Cities although not on the mainland. The big forest on 7C is the VATHAR FOREST, I believe, not the FATHAR (the Chain of Dogs passed through it in DHG). DRIFT AVALII is also a bit on the big size, I think. In HoC it seemed like it could be travelled across in a couple of hours, and is definitely a lot smaller than Malaz Isle.

There's also the CATAL SEA which is the big indentation in the north coast of Seven Cities, with the peninsular-kingdom of PERISH to the west and NEMIL to the east (between the Catal Sea and Jhag Odhan), with the SHAL-MORZINN EMPIRE dominating the south-west of the continent, which I think can be labelled pretty straightforwardly.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#138 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

k, thanks wert,

fixed the typos and finished putting in the other location names,
I'll leave this one for the time being, and then reposition things once I put the whole thing together...
I'll add in some more detail to the east as well, so the whole thing looks a bit more cohesive...
I'll also finish putting in the Cabal and Genostel Archipelagos...
but not right now
the map is now 1/6th done!

WOOT!

http://img594.images...80/quonand7.jpg

This post has been edited by Sadist: 06 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

#139 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

It seems I just can't stop myself from repping you, great job man.

I think I spotted a small typo on the Quon & 7C map: in the Falari Archipel, there is a sea called the Strom Sea. I think this should be Storm Sea, but I can't find the original map of this region. Does anyone know where it is?
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#140 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

View PostOzymandiac, on 06 June 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

It seems I just can't stop myself from repping you, great job man.

I think I spotted a small typo on the Quon & 7C map: in the Falari Archipel, there is a sea called the Strom Sea. I think this should be Storm Sea, but I can't find the original map of this region. Does anyone know where it is?

nope, it really is strom...at least on the map that I have...
I did a double take at first as well, but it actually says Strom, not storm,
it's just one more silly name to add to the wealth of others :laughing:
here's one of the maps I was working from

and thanks for the rep!

Attached File  map_malazan_CentralMalazanEmpire_MajorCitiesOnly.jpg (284.46K)
Number of downloads: 5

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users