• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan World Map Unofficial map of the world. Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

hey guys,
I'm starting work on Genabackis again...
can anyone confirm or deny what Gothos said about there being some possible glaciation on the northeastern part of Genabackis? I know that's where the Toblakai come from, but I can't remember reading anything about there being actual glaciers...I know it's tundra, but that's easy because of the map...
does anyone know anything about this??

This post has been edited by Sadist: 07 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

#142 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

View PostSadist, on 06 June 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

hey guys,
can anyone confirm or deny what Gothos said about there being some possible glaciation on the northeastern part of Fenabackis? I know that's where the Toblakai come from, but I can't remember reading anything about there being actual glaciers...I know it's tundra, but that's easy because of the map...

I forget who, but some other character when talking about Moon's Spawn says Rake found it in the ice at the northern end of Genebackis. I would guess that this was Pannion saying it...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#143 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Small point that i would have thought Itko Kan should also be considered a major city (i.e. bigger dot), as it is mentioned as important numerous times and led the Itko Kan Confederacy in ROTCG, so seems to be a capital of sorts at one point, or least was the major regional power.

Also, maybe Purage as is highlighted in that big Quan Tali map, but we havent really heard to much about there.

#144 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

View PostD, on 06 June 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostSadist, on 06 June 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

hey guys,
can anyone confirm or deny what Gothos said about there being some possible glaciation on the northeastern part of Fenabackis? I know that's where the Toblakai come from, but I can't remember reading anything about there being actual glaciers...I know it's tundra, but that's easy because of the map...

I forget who, but some other character when talking about Moon's Spawn says Rake found it in the ice at the northern end of Genebackis. I would guess that this was Pannion saying it...

It was Osserc actually:

Osric snorted. ‘Only that which was at his very feet. Moon’s Spawn
bore signs of damage, of breaching. Then slaughter. None the less, a few
survived, at least long enough to begin it on its journey home. North,
out over the icefields. Of course, it never made it past those icefields.
Did you know that the glacier that held Moon’s Spawn had travelled a
thousand leagues with its prize? A thousand leagues, L’oric, before
Rake and I stumbled upon it north of Laederon Plateau.’ (HoC)

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#145 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

awesome, thanks Hetan...
now it's just to locate Laederon plateau.
not on the maps, but if Moon's Spawn travelled 1000 leagues in a glacier...well, that WOULD be massive...enough that the north of Genabackis is actually under the polar icecap...
and even if, as many are wont to do, L'oric was exaggerating, say that 1000 is more like 500 leagues,
then Moon's spawn would have been discovered very near the center of the north pole...
then again, I think werty mentioned that the Malazan fleet had invaded from both the eastern and western coasts...so they'd have to have sailed around the continent somehow...
eh...is this making any sense to anyone?

#146 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

View Postanothevilbadguy, on 06 June 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

Also, maybe Purage as is highlighted in that big Quan Tali map, but we havent really heard to much about there.

ahh. I had originally marked Purage as a larger city, because it is on the major cities of Quon Tali...the text is actually bigger than the surroundings, but the dot is a bit on the small side, I'll see about fixing that...

but Itko Kan? eh, well, why not...the map needs another big city anyways
lol

#147 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

View PostSadist, on 06 June 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

awesome, thanks Hetan...
not on the maps, but if Moon's Spawn travelled 1000 leagues in a glacier...well, that WOULD be massive...enough that the north of Genabackis is actually under the polar icecap...
and even if, as many are wont to do, L'oric was exaggerating, say that 1000 is more like 500 leagues,
then Moon's spawn would have been discovered very near the center of the north pole...
then again, I think werty mentioned that the Malazan fleet had invaded from both the eastern and western coasts...so they'd have to have sailed around the continent somehow...
eh...is this making any sense to anyone?

thing is, glaciation once reached as far south as darujhistan. lake azur is a glacial lake, the old jaghra til. the laederon plateau is marked on the genebackis maps in gotm and moi and is roughly in the centre of the northern ice fields. there is some mountains that are quite possibly glaciated to the north of it (where rake and osserc would have found moon`s spawn) and then the coast. which is nowhere near the pole. the glaciation was omtose phellack

as an aside, there doesn`t seem to be any bodies of land close enough to the poles to cause any natural glaciation anyhow. all the glaciers we`ve heard of so far have been OP
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#148 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

awesome, thanks Hetan...

Hmm. Do you have House of Chains handy? I think Laederon Plateau is shown on the extreme close-up of the northern end of Genabackis in that book, along with many towns and villages not seen on the general Genabackis map in GotM and MoI.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#149 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

View PostWerthead, on 06 June 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

awesome, thanks Hetan...

Hmm. Do you have House of Chains handy? I think Laederon Plateau is shown on the extreme close-up of the northern end of Genabackis in that book, along with many towns and villages not seen on the general Genabackis map in GotM and MoI.

ah yes, thats the map i was thinking of
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#150 User is offline   Sadist 

• Imperial Cartographer

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:48 PM

ahh, ok perfect...
I thought I was going completely blind there for a moment...
found it!

@Sinisdar Toste...
the thing about genabackis is that the north IS very close to the pole on the world map... any naturally occurring ice would be very close to the north of Genabackis...
however, now that I'm looking at it...it almost looks like there could be a band of ice nearly ringing the entire planet running in a diagonal line...
following up from Lether, through 7 cities (some extrapolation on my part) through the north of Quon Tali, and finally ending up through Genabackis...
hmmm...
also maybe the planet is just too hot to actually have any naturally occurring poles...and all the water is trapped up in omthos phellack?
I think I kind of like that idea...and might just take off any ice on the poles alltogether...

thanks guys!

#151 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Maybe Moon's Spawn was trapped in a glacier near present-day Darujhistan and traveled 1000 leagues *north* in the glacier?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#152 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

Just out of interest, anyone working on any modifications now to accommodate the Fist map that's recently been released?
I am the Onyx Wizards

#153 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

We can use the shape, but size? Placement? Malaz/Jakata is 'fabled' on it, possibly not to scale and/or distance...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#154 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

View PostGothos, on 29 October 2010 - 08:41 AM, said:

We can use the shape, but size? Placement? Malaz/Jakata is 'fabled' on it, possibly not to scale and/or distance...
Yeah, 'Jakatakan' is a bit of a spanner in the works. Not least because if it's actually that big compared to Korelri then Korelri is hardly continental (by my working out Quon Tali/Falar isn't much bigger than Greenland, and it would be considerably bigger than Korelri on a 'Malaz island to scale' assumption.

Although the assumption about Quon Tali/Falar I based on the scale in House of Chains, and I don't think it's necessarily wise to trust the scales, especially regarding Lether if we take the Midnight Tides scale as given.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#155 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

Well, with all the earlier maps we have some sort of reference with a Leagues/Miles ruler, but not with this one. It's rubbing me the wrong way somehow.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#156 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

Just a matter of querry here but are
we safe to assume climatic factors in the malaz world
reflect climatic conditions on earth?

I ask this with issues in mind.

The seguleh isle, morn and genabeckis I think of as warm or hot arid in climate with mott swamps being further from the equatorial region
Thus similar to conditions on seven cities a desert continent, typical of equator straddling land...

but then contradicting the norm we get the impression the Edur live close to the jheck icelands and
thus must live in a cold environ. korelri I also understand to be quite cold.

These continents and islands are fairly close to what I interpreted as the Equatorial region as depicted in several maps on the forumn
...how is it they are so cold then? am I missing something here as to the composition of Wu and its weather?

This post has been edited by Dolmen: 29 October 2010 - 09:12 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#157 User is offline   Thel Akai 

• Corporal

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

I wonder if it would ever be possible to create a vector-based map, maybe using OpenStreetMap tools. Then you could zoom in and out at will and keep the details level. I have very little idea about how much work this would be.

#158 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

View PostDolmen, on 29 October 2010 - 09:10 AM, said:

Just a matter of querry here but are
we safe to assume climatic factors in the malaz world
reflect climatic conditions on earth?

I ask this with issues in mind.

The seguleh isle, morn and genabeckis I think of as warm or hot arid in climate with mott swamps being further from the equatorial region
Thus similar to conditions on seven cities a desert continent, typical of equator straddling land...

but then contradicting the norm we get the impression the Edur live close to the jheck icelands and
thus must live in a cold environ. korelri I also understand to be quite cold.

These continents and islands are fairly close to what I interpreted as the Equatorial region as depicted in several maps on the forumn
...how is it they are so cold then? am I missing something here as to the composition of Wu and its weather?

Jaghut Ice Fields fuck everything up.
Also, temperature across the planet doesn't have to neccesarily very greatly close and far from the equator. In the Cretaceous, there was only like 10 degrees difference between equatorial and polar zones due to high carbon dioxide amounts in the atmosphere at the time.
So, little geography-dependant variation + vast artificial glaciers all over the place = Wu climate. IMO at least.

#159 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

also mentioned in RotCG, the tower where they find Osserc, the sorcerous storms raging around the tower effecting the weather/environment on the entire continent - sucking up all the water making it a dry wilderness (iirc)

basically weather + sorcery = fcked up wu climate

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#160 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

What Gothos said, basically. With the Jaghut-created ice age, there are glacial conditions where you would have never expected to find them i.e. in a relatively non-mountainous region near the equator (Jheck ice fields). I imagine the Fall affected the climate on Korel and its surroundings too. So applying normal climatic conventions to places on Wu can be tricky. In places such as you describe like Seven Cities and Quon Tali though the climate is more what you would expect, so unless something has majorly warped the climate i.e. the Jaghut you can probably make a good judgment on what the climate is like. Really though, we have no idea until SE tells us.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users