• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rake discrepancy? Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

But this goes back to the conjecture thing.
We don't know if there were similar creatures with such weight as such, already chained in the sword.
Maybe all creatures who are chained arrive with a certain weight? Hood and Rake's arrivals in the sword were the only "live" arrivals witnessed by a POV inside the sword. When Paran came to free the Hounds they were already chained. I'm not saying they would have weighed as much as Hood/Rake but seeing as Hood isn't usually described as having weight and immense pressure when on the normal mortal plane, I'd say its fair to say that all creatures arrive chained in the sword with some weight pressing down on the pov chained characters.

Rake's immense pressure in the mortal plane is somewhat problamatic. Its debatable whether its the pressure exerted by him, or by Dragnipur. When he arrives in the sword, it certainly shows that he has a lot of power, but in the mortal plane, his power may be added onto that of the swords weight. Certainly other Tiste Eleint Soletaken are not described as having his weight/pressure. Silchas, Bloodeye, Osserc etc.

#62 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Two points:

Hood does have that pressure. Cf his arrival in TTH.
Rake is definitely via warren. I can get you a page number, but it's in HoC, Quick says: "You know that pressure that Rake exerts whenever he arrives anywhere by warren?" It's not Dragnipur, I think. The sword exerts pressure on him, and if he doesn't hold that it then people can feel it's manifestation, but he does hold it in all the time, until he lets go in TTH.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#63 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hood's arrival where? In Dragnipur or when he arrives in Darujistan?
In Dragnipur certainly, in the city well I can't remember offhand if he was described as bringing amazing pressure as well. He brought that mortal killing wave, but I'm not sure if that Guard who he saves describes Hood as such an immense weight straining down on the scene and cracking buildings.

For Rake, its debatable as I say. Quick does not specify if Rake arrives everywhere via warren, with Dragnipur strapped to his back or not. Certainly Quick has never met Rake when he didn't have the sword.
The fact that every other Tiste Eleint Soletaken was not described as such lends credence to the theory that Dragnipur, not Rake, is exerting the pressure. But perhaps Rake is an exception? We don't know. (although Silchas did drink more of Tiam's blood, perhaps Rake was a greater practitioner of Kurald Galain)

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 16 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

#64 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

but "weight" per se is not how hoods power is manifested, you wouldn't expect beru lord of storms to show up in a burst of flame would you? just cuz he's not cracking buildings apart doesn't mean he's not exerting a huge influence, the deaths ripple throughout the whole city.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#65 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

@black - if it was Dragnipur the weight would not go away. It very clearly cuts off once Rake has arrived, showing that it is his power. I'd trust Quick to know that it was Rake's unveiled warren over Dragnipur any day. The man's a genius, and a magical mastermind. He says warren arrival causes it, I say it's his warren, no question.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#66 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

View PostSilencer, on 16 October 2009 - 10:14 PM, said:

@black - if it was Dragnipur the weight would not go away. It very clearly cuts off once Rake has arrived, showing that it is his power. I'd trust Quick to know that it was Rake's unveiled warren over Dragnipur any day. The man's a genius, and a magical mastermind. He says warren arrival causes it, I say it's his warren, no question.

Well, then as I said, Rake may be the exception for Tiste Eleint Soletaken. Perhaps he had more magical ability with Kurald Galain , compared to Silchas Ruin, before Rake swallowed the blood of Tiam.

#67 User is offline   chaosek 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:57 PM

The pressure from Rake and the absence off pressure with other soletaken could be explained by the fact that Dragnipur puts pressure on Rake and he has to 'push back'. Meaning constantly using his power to hold/carry the sword. The power QB feels could be Rake pushing back (would also explain why it's such a burden.

#68 User is offline   RSM616 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

View Postamphibian, on 29 September 2009 - 08:10 PM, said:

View Postharoos, on 29 September 2009 - 08:03 PM, said:

well, I have not yet read the 9th book, but in tth, one of the andii endest silahn thinks :
"Draconus, you thought you could give answer to all of us. You were wrong" and then thinking of rake "... until now here you stand, virtually alone"

and later the high priestess of dark thinks to mother dark : "Don't you see ? This was all Draconus's doing"

so maybe draconus made the sword for rake because he knew rake would be able to withstand the power of the sword.
there are a few other hints, but like these two the represent pov's, not neccsarily facts.

So then, when Draconus and Anomander fought... why didn't Draconus just give Anomander the sword instead of getting distracted by Envy and killed by Rake?

I'm not necessarily arguing that you're wrong - I'm saying your theory doesn't make a whole lot of sense as we currently understand events.

Draconus gets killed by the sword to break the curse set on him by kallor which was something like "you will be undone by your own creation" and when he is slain he is effectivley fufilling the curse and thus breaking it for when he eventually gets freed

This post has been edited by RSM616: 01 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users