• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The ending You'll only have yourself to blame for peeking Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

EDIT: THERE WILL BE NO SPOILER TAGS, SO IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK, SOD OFF AND READ IT

If you have finished it, then feel free.

The last fifty pages.

God damn.

I'm pleased I guessed right about the SA and MS choices, but fuck me, the amount of awesome happening later on was ridiculous. I'm glad the KCCM are coming back, the world needs more science dinosaurs. Good to confirm that Iccy did learn mechanisms from the KCCM too. Also, Sinn is how powerful? Tays blasts bits off one skykeep that's run by people unable to read the manual, Sinn melts four fully functional ones at once.

Oh, and we all know Quick's not dead, but how likely is Bottle to be a corpse? He's either alive and fucked or a mind-hopping spirit thing now, I think. I'll miss Keneb, lasting seven books and being the only competent Fist for that time, but that just means Fist Kindly is now going to happen. Finally, Captain Ruthan Gudd is my vote for Hero Of The Book. He rides storms, shags corpses and doesn't afraid of KCNR. I hope he comes back.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 18 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#2 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Gudd irritated me as it was way too close to Beak. Admittedly he didn't save the day singled-handed and just got killed (after hacking a few dozen KCNR to pieces), but it felt like something we'd seen before.

So what's the damage to the Malazans? Just the heavies and marines wiped out and everyone else withdrew safely or that's pretty much all of them gone aside from a few survivors?

The smackdown between the skykeeps and the uprooted was cool. Icarium coming to the rescue (sort of) with all guns blazing was awesome. And WTF was that at the end, an Azath Tree? I'm guessing that's either Icarium dead and gone or imprisoned in the Azath thingamagic (foreshadowed by DHG, IIRC).

I feel bad for Mappo. Constantly late for everything for the last few books. Guy needs a break.

We need a list of the characters whose fates are left unknown at the end of the book. It's huge: Tavore, Lostara Yil, Quick Ben, Fiddler, Dead Hedge, every single named Malazan soldier in the Bonehunters apart from Kisswhere, Stormy and Gesler (whom we know survived) and those we saw actually killed, from Keneb on down. Then there's Brys and the Letherii legions as well, not to mention the Khundryl, who get this year's Darwin Award for Literature Suicide (a cavalry charge into lightning-spitting giant dinosaurs is not really advisable).

Assuming a decent number made it out, is the Kolanse mission still viable? The Perish Grey Helms are intact and maybe the Bolkando forces will agree to join the army, potentially making up for at least some of the lack caused by the Bonehunters' annihilation. Tool seems disinclined to ally the Imass to the Malazans but maybe that will come in TCG. The KCCM also seem willing to help out, which will help a lot (but against a whole kingdom of Forkrul Assai? Hmm).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

Known survivors:

Masan Gilani
Kisswhere
Stormy
Gesler
Grub
Sinn

Known dead:

Keneb
Ebron
Sunrise
Primly
Neller
Mulvan Dreader
Shoaly
Most of the Khundryl
Skim
Everyone in Limp's squad but Limp and Crump

Probably dead:

Ruthan Gudd
Bottle
EVERYONE ELSE

Almost certainly survived despite a death scene:

Quick Ben

Ruthan Gudd would have been more like Beak if he'd actually accomplished anything noteworthy, rather than just delaying the enemy for about twenty seconds. And the Imass that didn't follow Tool - the remaining Unbound, now apparently no longer following the CG, for instance - could join.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 23 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

One thing I wasn't clear on: were those six skykeeps the only ones the KCNR had (the same six that were seen in the warren in TBH) or did they have tons more of them? I think someone said they'd continue to pour out and fill the skies until Icarium plugged the hole, which seemed a bit over-the-top.

Also, the skykeeps versus the uprooted battle is the awesomest thing so far in the series.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#5 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

Werthead, on Aug 18 2009, 05:56 PM, said:

One thing I wasn't clear on: were those six skykeeps the only ones the KCNR had (the same six that were seen in the warren in TBH) or did they have tons more of them? I think someone said they'd continue to pour out and fill the skies until Icarium plugged the hole, which seemed a bit over-the-top.

Also, the skykeeps versus the uprooted battle is the awesomest thing so far in the series.

Eleven Skykeeps are seen by Kalam and Quick Ben in TBH during their trip through the Imperial Warren
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#6 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Urizen, on Aug 18 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Eleven Skykeeps are seen by Kalam and Quick Ben in TBH during their trip through the Imperial Warren

Ah, that makes sense then.

#7 User is offline   Blackjon_Bludd 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

had to register just to express my appreciation for the ending....

But Strangers, i am Icarium.
And i bring far worse

is just such an awesome line, that sends shovers down the spine.

However i will say that i am major gutted if old Iccy turns out to be dead, as i really felt he deserved a happy ending (although that was probably unlikely anyway)

although its not entirely certain, as the bit with Mappo after the big azash thing appears makes me wonder...

still, i guess we'll find out next book

#8 User is offline   Varan 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:44 PM

Just finished the book, and those last few pages were insane.

And sinn did have grub as well, but yeah still...

I get the impression not much of the BH and allies got out, seeing as the KCCM didnt arrive till the next day, and I wouldnt be too surprised if QB still stays dead, and does anyone know where the next book is set? is it carrying on from the wastelands or going back to Ganoes Paran maybe?

Edit: and what was that betrayal that was supposed to happen, is that still in the works? And i wonder whether masan and her unbound turned up for the battle, and what the unbound reallly after...

This post has been edited by Varan: 18 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

#9 User is offline   Differently Sane 

• Recruit

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

Illuyankas, on Aug 18 2009, 03:13 PM, said:

The last fifty pages.

God damn.

I agree completely with the above statement.

I pre-ordered my copy so it arrived yesterday afternoon. Been reading it pretty much straight through since.

I also hope Quick Ben survived; I always liked him. He's always managed to keep one step ahead of the Reaper so far (literally, at times). What was he doing with those acorns? Was that all setup for him unleashing the smackdown on the Nah'ruk, or could it be part of a backup plan. He usually has a few on the go, even when he's making it up as he goes along.

Wasn't expecting Stormy and Gesler to get the SA and MS jobs, until they got snatched by Gu'Rull.

Still not entirely sure what happened to Icarium; if he was turning the Errant's eye into a Finnest, like the Matron from back in MOI, surely it should just be the Errant sealing that rent, so what happened to Icarium? I guess that because Feather Witch swallowed the eye, and she ended up as one of the (for what of a better description) parts of Icarium's soul, there was a link between Icarium and the Errant strong enough to suck both of them into the void. Although it was pretty damn good to see the Errant taken out; he's been annoying me since he caused Trull's death.

I need to go back an re-read it now, along with some of the others.

#10 User is offline   Blackjon_Bludd 

• Recruit

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

aye, if he is in an azash though, does that mean that he'll run into our master of the deck? :(

#11 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

Blackjon_Bludd, on Aug 20 2009, 01:02 PM, said:

aye, if he is in an azash though, does that mean that he'll run into our master of the deck? :)

Hopefully, i wanna see more of Ganoes, but i don't think him and the errant are gonna throw down, there'll be more important stuff goin on.

Iccy and Mappo are like Romeo and frickin juliet... doomed from the start, and i doubt there'll be a happily ever after. But damn, if Iccy is dead, what a way to go.

Now the errant's eye is used as a finnest, so was it iccy's soul that was used as its source, or was it the combined souls of all those within him? thats what i want to know.

#12 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Some quick thoughts.

The Bonehunters:
I'm with everyone who doubts Quick is dead. I also doubt Fiddler is- firstly he seems too important to the series, secondly with the kind of power, albeit not direct, he's carting around I suspect ascendants - or even the Deck itself - would have noticed. Regarding that, notice how out of those who got a card at the casting, Gessler, Stormy, Sinn, Grub and Sandalath avoided the battle entirely. Makes me suspect that the others so encarded might also have survived, especially since Keneb who was very deliberately noted as missing got very deliberately noted as splattered- and that doesn't bode well for Tavore.

Icarium: I have no idea what really happened there, but the fact that he heard Badalle must mean something. And she's a puzzle in herself- something to do with the Eres'al? Or the Azath - more than one hint that they're tied to a race, I recall the name Azathani though I can't remember who mentioned it. Any clues to what that the Kryptonian city the children found at the end was?

Interesting that Kilimandaros is noted as an agent of chaos and destruction when her children are all about 'peace' and 'justice', albeit in a twisted form.

Also, ha ha Errant.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Some quick thoughts.

The Bonehunters:
I'm with everyone who doubts Quick is dead. I also doubt Fiddler is- firstly he seems too important to the series, secondly with the kind of power, albeit not direct, he's carting around I suspect ascendants - or even the Deck itself - would have noticed. Regarding that, notice how out of those who got a card at the casting, Gessler, Stormy, Sinn, Grub and Sandalath avoided the battle entirely. Makes me suspect that the others so encarded might also have survived, especially since Keneb who was very deliberately noted as missing got very deliberately noted as splattered- and that doesn't bode well for Tavore.

Fid and Quick might have died, now that I think about it - but a dead Bridgeburner just means he looks worse (or slightly better in Hedge's case) when he's going around taking arse and kicking names. Bottle's got a Eres route out, too.

Icarium: I have no idea what really happened there, but the fact that he heard Badalle must mean something. And she's a puzzle in herself- something to do with the Eres'al? Or the Azath - more than one hint that they're tied to a race, I recall the name Azathani though I can't remember who mentioned it. Any clues to what that the Kryptonian city the children found at the end was?

Icarias? The city that seems to have been built as a thank you to Icarium? Someone old mentioned the Azathani, possibly the name the Nameless Ones lost. And Badalle beating up the Inquisitors through rhyme just means there is no genre of anything that cannot be improved by a rap battle.

Interesting that Kilimandaros is noted as an agent of chaos and destruction when her children are all about 'peace' and 'justice', albeit in a twisted form.

Also, ha ha Errant.
Grandchildren, I'd say. Sechul Lath would seem to be the direct creator of the FA, as well as Oponn, but that doesn't tie in to how they act. Might just be a big parental rebellion.

And yes, that was slightly satisfying.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 07 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

#14 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

polishgenius, on Aug 21 2009, 03:20 PM, said:

Some quick thoughts.

Any clues to what that the Kryptonian city the children found at the end was?

Also, ha ha Errant.

The city the is Jaghut, from when they had a proper civilisation, and the KCCM seem to play some part in it as well, i would hazard guess that the KCCM helped them build it, as i recall Badalle helping Iccy from there.

And wasn't Killy all about justice herself? Albeit in a rather rudimentary form, they are her true children then in a real sense, s they kill first, ask questions later.

Also, what are ppls thoughtson the Shake? seems the edur were originally Andii, or at least originated in KG, and damn, but Yedan Derryg is badass. The Watch? More like Watch out.Posted ImageHe now has a Hust sword, Ruin's Hust if 'm not mistaken. Whatever a Hust sword is.

This post has been edited by Chaeone: 21 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Rhulad's sword was made with bits of one.

#16 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Illuyankas, on Aug 21 2009, 04:27 PM, said:

Rhulad's sword was made with bits of one.

Was not aware of that. But what is a Hust sword? is it imbued with some kind of power? like light and dark?

#17 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

I was gutted when Keneb and then Ebron got splatted so soon after each other. I was scared Erikson was going to kill off all my favourite soldiers, especially when someone said they saw Tarr go down though thankfully that was wrong. So many characters with their fates left hanging, I just hope the last book comes out quick or the tension might well kill me.

Tavore must be alive to see out the last book. Without her, who is there to oppose Killy, Sechul and the rest? Same goes for Fiddler. I loved the way he made the Errant bleed with his Reading. But I get the feeling it may only be those two left when it comes to the very end.

The K'Chain battle was indeed the epitome of awesome. I love Gesler and Stormy. I'm glad Erikson put a few moments of humour in there as well, though, otherwise it might have been too dark. Bent taking down that Nah'ruk was just inspired. I think Icarium hightailed it out of Kalse Uprooted before he got caught. Sulkit mentions being alone at the end. I think she will be the Guardian of the Azath. On that note, glad to see the Errant finally get some sort of comeuppance at last. It's been a long time coming.

The Barghast were complete bastards, weren't they? I was glad Draconus shattered Maral Eb and his gang. And who in their right mind would have predicted Draconus teaming up with Ublala Pung? :)

Sorry if this post is a bit of a ramble. I finished the book ten minutes ago and I'm still trying to get my head around everything that happened.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#18 User is offline   fafner 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Tavore is still alive. when you look at the knife she got from bugg she will need it to summon paran.

and the bargast was more like that island what the warlocks used to kill in DHG

#19 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

Holy fnck balls, that was awesome. SE pulled out so many awesome lines right at the end. What a god, seriously.

Now, one thing confused me: the two unnamed Shi'Gal. Apparently their flavours are anathema to each other. How the hell could they then form an alliance? Didn't really make much sense to me. Plus, they ate her brain. Gross. Also, glad Gu'Rull didn't get sorcery'd into lizard meat. That guy is badass. In my head he's like that Markus guy in Underworld 2, 'cept with more eyes and way more awesome. What are peoples thoughts on Sulkit? That was an ambiguous scene at the end. She will be a Matron, that's for certain, but who is her Master?

Olar Ethil intrigues me as a character. I can't seem to pin down her allegiance, but maybe that's me being stupid. Is she with Knuckles and Killy, nominally at least? Or is she working at cross-purposes to them?

As to QB, totally not worm food. But now he's "dead", I suspect Tayschrenn to feature in TCG. He's his shaved knuckle, after all, and Quick will feature in this convergence, there's no doubt about that. What was his card in the reading again? Magus of Dark, I think. Hmmm...seems like QB has his dick in everything, these days. Shadow, Death, Dark...no idea how he relates to what's happening in Kharkanas, though. Watch out. Ha ha.

Bottle, I'm not too sure about. Doing what he did with the wyvals was damn cool, but it seemed like he was either gonna shred his mind to pieces, or get gobbled up. Can't see how he would get out. Unless they missed him, piled under NR and human corpses and all.

Tavore and Lostara are alive, I reckon, along with that dude with the big...errr...hands. Lostara was Shadow Dancing those NR into pretty ribbons.

Guardians of the Road? Jeez, you're a clever bastard, SE.

Those 14 Jaghut were bloody hilarious. Them annihilating those NR was pretty cool too. Them lining the ridge screamed awesome. And Hood! What a badass.

Also, child of indescribable terror indeed.

This post has been edited by Mappo's Travelling Sack: 21 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#20 User is offline   Blackjon_Bludd 

• Recruit

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

well my guess is at least one out of Quick Ben and bottle has to be toast, having both survive would stretch credulity

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users