• You cannot reply to this topic

The ending You'll only have yourself to blame for peeking Rate Topic: -----

#201 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

how are we sure korabas is a she?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#202 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

This is how:

Silchas Ruin said:

Korabas is an Eleint, Ryadd. She is the Otataral Dragon.

Hmm, it occurs to me that of all the non-Soletaken Eleint we've seen, none of them have been specifically stated as male. Tiam, Silanah, Sorrit, Eloth, Curdle, Telorast, Korabas...

Can't remember if Kalse and Ampelas are female though.

This post has been edited by MTS: 10 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#203 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

As far as I recall, when Pearl and Lostara reach the OD he refers to it as a she. As in "Her aspect is Otataral." Buuuuut I also believe that the "Consort" in Feather Witch's tile reading, the one who "writhes on a tree and whispers with madness of the time of his release" and some believe to represent the OD, is clearly called a he. I personally don't think this latter dragon is OD since there's clear mention of a tree while OD is pinned to something else (I think) in House of Chains -- nor do I think OD is Tiam's consort or mate. As far as I'm concerned, it's another dragon. I could certainly be wrong about that though, as the wording is pretty iffy. And that would make the sex of OD up for grabs.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#204 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Well, so far we've seen three imprisoned dragons - the Otataral Dragon in Kurald Liosan/Thyrllan, Sorrit in a KCNR skykeep and some other dragon being gloated over by a KCNR.

Both the OD and Sorrit are on cruciforms, and the other (sex unspecified) is on a latticework of wooden beams. The sky described by Heboric in the prologue of DoD is similar to the pocket warren in KL where the OD is imprisoned, as are the implements used to chain them. This perhaps suggests Liosan/FA/KCNR are acting in concert, and considering how many of the other 'Shapers of the Path' that we haven't seen, it's likely there's more imprisoned out there. That the OD is described as a she before the Consort is described as a he makes it unlikely that it is an editorial mistake, and that the OD is really Tiam's Consort. And yet the list of other candidates for that position is mighty short...

This post has been edited by MTS: 10 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#205 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

Isn't Sorrit dead, not imprisoned?
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#206 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

Well yes, but the point still stands.

#207 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

My thought was that a dead dragon can't "writhe" or "whisper with madness." But maybe you weren't referring to that quote?
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#208 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

its the quote about whispering with madness of the times of its release that makes me think it might be the OD, now that we know what killy and sech are up to.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#209 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 12 September 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

its the quote about whispering with madness of the times of its release that makes me think it might be the OD, now that we know what killy and sech are up to.

Couldn't the dragon in question be just any dragon that had been impaled on a tree?

The Otateral Dragon doesn't need to be crazy, her "Existence" is enough to cause havoc

#210 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

View PostMTS, on 10 September 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

Well, so far we've seen three imprisoned dragons - the Otataral Dragon in Kurald Liosan/Thyrllan, Sorrit in a KCNR skykeep and some other dragon being gloated over by a KCNR.

Both the OD and Sorrit are on cruciforms...

While it's true that the OD is on a cruciform in HoC, I don't think that's the case by the time we get to DoD. Look at this passage, Page 379mmpb. This is in the section where Kalyth and the KCCM have come across the skeleton of a dragon killed by the OD and Sag'Churok has talked about otataral being the "other" god. Gunth Mach has just "breathed" on Kalyth and given her this vision:

A dragon reared above her, its slick scales the colour of rust. Enormous spikes pinned its forelimbs, holding the creature up against a massive, gnarled tree ... Fresh blood surrounded the base of the tree, so that it seemed that the entire edifice rose from a gleaming pool.
"The slayer, the Otataral Dragon, has been bound. But it will be free ..." Sag'Churoks's words echoed in her mind ... This Otataral Dragon would be loosed upon the world.

Seems SE changed his mind between the books.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#211 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Sorrit was killed by the Edur for her blood. The dragon in the prologue with the Nahruk isn't dead yet but it's blood was being used to open a gate. The OD is bound but the Errant etc wants to kill her - and the sex change thing has happened before - with Orfantal.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#212 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Perhaps male dragons keep their flaccid wieners inside so humans can't tell their sex, which would account for Pearl calling OD a she. Except that Silchas Ruin calls her a she to Rud Elalle in DoD, which is where MTS's quote is from. So OD is referred to as male and female within the same book.

#213 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:24 PM

Obviously Korabas the female Otataral Dragon is being possessed by the soul of the male Consort, who's BATSHIT CRAZY. Obviously.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#214 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

And they are staked to a cruciform tree sealing a gate to an unknown warren while also being stuck inside a bubble shaped pocket warren.

#215 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:02 PM

Dragon souls on trees within dragons on crosses on gates to warrens in pocket warrens in abandoned warrens doesn't make sense. But on Malaz, it does.

Malaz is a hell of a drug.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#216 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Really, Differenty Sane? Legana Breed called Stormy Shield Anvil in Bonehunters. Dinos looking for the place holders. It was pretty obvious to me, since they didn't half-ascend all the way back for NOTHING.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users