playstation 3 or xbox 360?

#21 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

yeah, KOTOR is fun as heck.

Played em both on my buddy's old PS3

Funny thing is its basically the same leveling system and perks as with Neverwinter Nights. Anybody notice that?

Was it the same game engine?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#22 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

Your terrible meme gif has failed, Maccy.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#24 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

I figure any piece of electronic gear that has - as a design feature - something that tells you just how broken it is (red ring of death) is probably not worth the money.

I mean, I can see one light to indicate a problem... but a graduated system of lights to say

1 light = minor problem
2 lighs = major problem
3 lights = this piece of shit is broken again

is kinda crazy. As if they expected from the get-go for it to break often enough that they need a system of LEDs to indicate the level of brokenness.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#25 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

So every OS ever invented his a piece of shit? Every motherboard that has beep codes to say what the problem is is crazy?

I much prever an LED or BEEP message to a Frowny face, or it just not working.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#26 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on Jul 23 2009, 01:57 PM, said:

yeah, KOTOR is fun as heck.

Played em both on my buddy's old PS3

Funny thing is its basically the same leveling system and perks as with Neverwinter Nights. Anybody notice that?

Was it the same game engine?

I don't know about engine, but they were both made by Bioware.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#27 User is offline   powermad 

• Corporal

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:44 PM

nice one.i think ive made my mind up. its going to be the ps3 simply because i wana play God Of War 3.
thanks guys much appreciated

#28 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

bad choice, but it is yours to make hehe.

<-- huge 360 fanboy.

The new dashboard that Microsoft created is a good sign because it shows that the lifespan of the 360 will continue for awhile. Otherwise why radically change what was originally created 3 years into the generation? It just doesn't make sense. So there is a good outlook for the future. Plus it added so much new stuff that is constantly being updated like Twitter, Facebook, Netflix, etc.

The 360 has a thriving online community and that is where most of my enjoyment comes from. I love to play against and destroy other people because it is fun and you meet other new random people on the internets.

The exclusive games are more appealing to me as well like Halo, Gears of War, Alan Wake (coming soonish), and so on. It doesn't seem like a good sign for the PS3 that their exclusive games are jumping ship. Over the last few years they lost Final Fantasy and now Metal Gear, as two huge franchises, and other smaller stuff.

It just seems to me that the choice is clear. I love God of War myself but it isn't worth the console.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 23 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

#29 User is offline   Icarium Kalam 

• Shield Anvil
  • the picture is by Merlkir

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

360 i heard what called the crap box. I'm a PS3 man myself.
(Jen'isand Rul, the Wanderer within the Sword)
'I am the Shield Anvil.' I am Fener's grief. I am the world's grief. And I will hold. I will hold it all, for we are not yet done. <Itkovian>
'We are not born innocent, simply unmeasured.' <Hull Beddict>
'Because a god visits her, Fist. He comes to break her heart. Again and again.'<Nether>
'Fucking dragon.' <Fiddler>
Take my breath. But not this one, not this one. <Apsalar>
'Aye.' It's a good word. I think. More a whole attitude than a word, really. With lots of meaning in it, too. A bit of 'yes' and a bit of 'well fuck' and maybe some 'we're all in this together.' So a word to some up the Malazans. <Sunrise>

#30 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

having both available to me m brother bought a ps3 recently id say controllers are better on the x box, the online mode is better and there are better games ie halo. However i wud suggest byin a ps3 as the games issue is soon being repaired, im currently playing oblivion on the ps3 and admit it looks much betterthan its x box counterpart, it wont break down on u, i read sumwhere that the PS3 breaks down 3% of the time to the (likely original) 360s 30% break down rate and havin alredy gotten thru 2 i can say that yes they do break down alot, and multiplayer is free whereas x box live is nt. That cupled with the fact ure gettin a blue ray dvd player with it puts the PS3 ahead

#31 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

I've got a 360. My neighbor (basically roommate, our places are connected through the laundry room/secret passage) has both. So, I've gotten a chance to observe both in action closely. Here's some thoughts.

The 360 can be noisy, some games worse than others. This can be avoided though by downloading the game to your harddrive. As a security feature you still need to have the disc in the machine to play it, but the disc is not actually being read so it runs silently. I was so happy when I discovered this, because the noise could get horrible. It made Fable 2 nearly unplayable. Now, silence. Lovely silence.

I've had my 360 since Christmas. Zero maintenance problems so far. Doesn't mean I'll never see the red ring, but I haven't yet. Even if you do, it's simple enough to send off your machine and get a new one. It is a 3 year warranty after all. In three years the next generation of consoles will be due out.

You do have to pay for xbox live, but it is vastly superior to the ps3 online service. Do you want to pay for the good stuff or get the inferior service for free? Personal choice. Ps3 seems a lot worse about getting you to spend a lot of money on upgrades and DLC for your games.

Ps3 has built in wifi, but it doesn't work well. My friend has his wired. Why do you need wifi on your console anyways? Planning on moving it around a lot? I say just plug it in.

Ps3 has better graphics. It just does. Compare games that are on both consoles, ps3 typically looks just a bit sharper.

Ps3 does have a blueray, but be careful. I don't know how good of a blueray it is, you should look that up. I've read that crappy bluerays will not be able to play all the new discs coming out. Not sure if this applies to the one in the ps3 or not. Do you even have a HD tv? If not, really no reason to switcvh over to blueray, dvd is just fine.

Ps3 is more expensive. There's no reason to get the elite xbox, you don't need 120 gigs of memory. Save yourself 100$, get the 60 gig xbox. That's plenty.

I've come to the conclusion that in order to get the full gaming experience, you need both. I love my 360, but wish I had a ps3 sometimes. If I only had a ps3, I would love it but wish I had a 360 sometimes. So, I'm happy with my 360. Probably would have been happy if i had gone ps3 instead.

I guess my advice is to look at games, not capabilities. Whichever has the exclusive games you want, go there.

Both have great exclusive games. I think xbox has more though.
Error: Signature not valid

#32 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

I would say Ps3 without a doubt. It's more reliable for one, most of the games that are on both have had more work on them for the ps3, which usually means, smoother gameplay and better graphics. The ps3 is getting more and more exclusive titles and they are just as good as anything on the xbox 360, expect 1st person shooters, for now. As far as i know the ps3 can't play imported games, but the xbox 360 can after modification, the ps3 can't be modified, at least i haven't heard of anyone being able to do so as yet.

Also the blueray player is just as good as any you will find on the market if you keep it undated, which is easy to do. The restriction i have found with the blueray function is that it is region locked, like the old dvds.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#33 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

Regarding the RRoD.

This issue is a lie. If you lay your 360 on it's side, it will happen to you, usually within a year. I've had my 360 since release. It got the RRoD just a month ago. First time. They replaced it and gave me a one month trial card for Live - no questions asked, warranty is not an issue when it comes to that error. It is not exceptionally noisy. WAY more people online. Seriously. PS3 network is dead in comparision, even if it is free.

Games-wise, it really is a close call these days. If your concern is graphics, you are not a gamer. And you should buy a PC anyway, and hook it up to your TV. Plus you can then get all your games for free, and the only games you lose out on are the exclusives (which, of course, you also lose some of based on your console choice anyway), and the sports games (which suck on PC). Also, you'll be waiting a lot longer for DLC on the PS3 games - Oblivion took way longer to get it's DLC for PS3, and so is Fallout 3. But that's not much of an issue.

Cost, 360 still > PS3, of course. 'Cept for the cost for Live. Or if you want an Elite. Games are also cheaper on 360 (or they are here, in my experience).

Final verdict, from my perspective:
PC
PS3

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#34 User is offline   Wickan warlock 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading, walking and making fires.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:31 AM

View Postlobo the wolfman, on Jul 24 2009, 02:21 AM, said:

As far as i know the ps3 can't play imported games

You can play any PS3 game on any PS3 console. They are region free. I recently sent some games to a friend in California.

Some Blu-ray Discs have region codes.

#35 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:08 AM

View PostSilencer, on Jul 23 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

Regarding the RRoD.

This issue is a lie. If you lay your 360 on it's side, it will happen to you, usually within a year. I've had my 360 since release.

Wait, how you have the 360 sitting affects the RRoD? Is this fact oor just something you heard? So you're saying laying it flat causes the RRoD more than standing it up?

EDIT: This says to lay your 360 flat and horizontal, NOT stand it tall on the side

This post has been edited by Raymond Luxury Yacht: 24 July 2009 - 06:13 AM

Error: Signature not valid

#36 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

View Postlobo the wolfman, on Jul 24 2009, 03:21 AM, said:

I would say Ps3 without a doubt. It's more reliable for one, most of the games that are on both have had more work on them for the ps3, which usually means, smoother gameplay and better graphics. The ps3 is getting more and more exclusive titles and they are just as good as anything on the xbox 360, expect 1st person shooters, for now. As far as i know the ps3 can't play imported games, but the xbox 360 can after modification, the ps3 can't be modified, at least i haven't heard of anyone being able to do so as yet.

Also the blueray player is just as good as any you will find on the market if you keep it undated, which is easy to do. The restriction i have found with the blueray function is that it is region locked, like the old dvds.

Every test I've read in regards to comparing the graphics of the 360 with the ps3, the 360 usually is placed slightly ahead. Gameplay it's likevise. I remember Gamespot speculated that it's a lot easier to make a game fit for the 360 than the ps3 as it's in essence just a windows machine.

I don't really think there's a way for you to decide which one is "better". I bought my 360 because I didn't want to pay double for the ps3, and all I really wanted was a new dvd player I also could connect my portable hard drive to without any hassle. So far the 360 has worked like a dream.

I've also noticed there's a lot more used games available for the 360 these days.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#37 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on Jul 24 2009, 06:08 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on Jul 23 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

Regarding the RRoD.

This issue is a lie. If you lay your 360 on it's side, it will happen to you, usually within a year. I've had my 360 since release.

Wait, how you have the 360 sitting affects the RRoD? Is this fact oor just something you heard? So you're saying laying it flat causes the RRoD more than standing it up?

EDIT: This says to lay your 360 flat and horizontal, NOT stand it tall on the side

It's an objective test based on what I've experienced. Two friends, one of whom has had three RRoD's, the other with two, and both with them on their side. Myself and another friend, with them standing, one RRoD between us (and that, only after more than three years, while the other guys got their first after a year). So tell me, which orientation has less RRoD's? It's anecdotal, not fact. But as the majority of the 360's air vents (though not it's fan vents) are along what would be the bottom of the machine if you laid it flat, it restricts air flow to the CPU.
I wouldn't argue it with a solid test sample, but I usually have the issue of taking my own experiences as slightly more solid than the rest of the internet folk who have contrary evidence. (Call it a bias of arrogance, if you will).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#38 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

View PostMorgoth, on Jul 24 2009, 04:12 PM, said:

View Postlobo the wolfman, on Jul 24 2009, 03:21 AM, said:

Every test I've read in regards to comparing the graphics of the 360 with the ps3, the 360 usually is placed slightly ahead. Gameplay it's likevise. I remember Gamespot speculated that it's a lot easier to make a game fit for the 360 than the ps3 as it's in essence just a windows machine.

I don't really think there's a way for you to decide which one is "better". I bought my 360 because I didn't want to pay double for the ps3, and all I really wanted was a new dvd player I also could connect my portable hard drive to without any hassle. So far the 360 has worked like a dream.

I've also noticed there's a lot more used games available for the 360 these days.

I didn't mean to imply that the ps3 was better full stop, end of story. It always comes down to personal preference, and every time i have personally compered the same games on both consoles the ps3 has always looked and preformed better then the xbox 360, but that's just my opinion. I also use a portable hard drive for music and movies on my ps3 and never had a problem, just out off curiosity does the xbox 360 play divx files?
Besides, I'll be damned if I'm going to give those blood sucking bastards at microsoft any more money then i have to :Crash:

@Wickan warlock, you can play imported games, i didn't know that. I know you couldn't on the ps2 without a mod, so i thought it would be the same. I haven't seen any region-free blue ray discs in Australia yet, so for me it's only region four stuff for now.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#39 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone have this thing against giving M$ money? Especially in Sony-MS related conflicts...I mean, wtf? Are you upset that a company does well? Do you want them to give you free stuff (putting aside, for the moment, MSN, Hotmail, etc), and screw themselves over? So, their stuff is overpriced, they could operate with less profit margin...but so could Sony. Hell, their stuff is more expensive than MS's!
I just don't get the "I don't want to give money to Microsoft" angle...ever. O.o

Shinrei said:

#40 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

This topic is fail. The correct answer is Wii. Cheap, fun, and you get most major games. I love me my Tomb Raider and Zelda!

Within the confines of this fail topic though - and I think the Xbox 360 is head and shoulders above the PS3, which bathes in its dandruff (eww).

Also, I love Windows Vista - I bought a licensed copy, to boot.

Skywalker - not an M$ hater...
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users