• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

playstation 3 or xbox 360?

#1 User is offline   powermad 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

I need peoples advice on this one. i want to buy a new console but im stuck between the two of them, the ps3 or the x box 360. which one will i buy? im letting my decision be based on what peope are telling me here.
thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

360, no question.

RPGs? 360 has em.
Shooters? 360 has em.
Driving games? Sports games? Strategy games? 360 has em.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

Since none of the consoles has a lot ofl exclusives these days (even Final Fantasy 13 is coming to the 360), which used to be a point in favor of the PS3, I'd say it doesn't really matter and it might actually be turned around in that the 360 has the better games nowadays.

If you're into games available only in Japan or want to play BluRay discs, the PS3 has the advantage. My own 360 is pretty noisy, but I don't know if the PS3 is any better in that regard.

Pricing of games and console would be the decision-maker for me.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#4 User is offline   Wickan warlock 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading, walking and making fires.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

This debate causes almost as much friction as politics!

They are both great consoles. Although the Xbox 360 is a lot cheaper there were problems with its reliability.

The Playstation 3 does a lot more straight out of the box but is more expensive.

If money is no object and all your mates are not on one or t'other, have a look at the exclusives and decide on that basis.

I got a PS3 because I wanted to play Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4 and Little Big Planet.

View PostTapper, on Jul 23 2009, 02:29 PM, said:

If you're into games available only in Japan or want to play BluRay discs, the PS3 has the advantage. My own 360 is pretty noisy, but I don't know if the PS3 is any better in that regard.

My PS3 is very quiet. A lot less noisy than my PC or my friends Xbox 360.

This post has been edited by Wickan warlock: 23 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

#5 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

I'm getting a PS3, mainly because it will be my media centre, not just a games console. If it were just down to the games console, I'd be tempted by the 360. But as a media centre, the PS3 is so far ahead of the 360 that it's pretty much lapping it. Twice.

And the game disparity is rapidly closing.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#6 User is offline   powermad 

• Corporal

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

cheers for that. i could go to powercity down the road from me which is selling the ps3 with two games for 350 euros or go and get a 360 elite with no games for 200euros.oh i just dont know what to do. we'll see probs get one of them this wknd.

#7 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

To throw in my own 2 cents...

The 360 controller is a dream. I remember my own "holy shit" moment the first time I picked up a 360 controller.

On the other hand, my hands regularly cramp and whatnot whenever I use a dualshock PS2 controller...I don't think the PS3 controller is any different.

#8 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Lost Odyssey > all exclusive rpgs currently released on the PS3.

The 360 network is a metric tone better, but you have to pay monthly for it. I think that was the biggest factor for me, I am willing to pay a pennance to play on a fast network. The few of my friends with a Ps3 all bitch about how the network is 'slow today' or down or something.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#9 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

The age old debate....
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#10 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

This is always a tough choice.

The problem with the 360 is that it's becoming too multiplayer-heavy. I grabbed a 360 because it seemed to have a larger number of games that I wanted to play and the ps3 was terribly lacking. (I actually had a ps3 first, but it got stale within months, so I got rid of it and grabbed a 360).

The problem with these games, though, is that the single player ones are routinely filled with suck, or are at least subpar or far too short with no replay-value. Tomb Raider: Underground - great for a single play through, but that's about it. Velvet Assassin - very anticipated game for me, but then I read the reviews of clunky gameplay and lack of plot. Damnation - read quite a few articles on it during development and it had a great premise, but then the actual game sucks - hardcore. Mirror's Edge - great game, but very short, and unless you like killing yourself with time trials, not worth more than a rental. The only games that stood up and let me enjoy them were Bioshock, Assassin's Creed(though the repetition does get old), and Dead Space(though it's terribly scripted). Everything else is either an RPG(which I've gotten tired of - though Lost Odyssey was amazing), or an action or shooter with multiplayer - and the multiplayer is almost always what holds those games up.

The ps3 has since gotten more titles and has even more decent looking ones slated for release. It seems that devs are finally getting used to programming games for it.

imo, it comes down to whether you're going to be a multiplayer fiend - in which case grab a 360 - or if you don't like immersing yourself into multiplayer as much - so you should grab a ps3.

More points in the ps3's court is that the 360 will eventually be the console you can grab a nice one for $100 and all the games will be $10-$15 used.

#11 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

When I priced out the two, the nicer Xbox elite edition came out at the same price as the PS3. Dunno what the prices are now.

I develop an inconsolable rage when my electronics don't work how they're supposed to...especially when they're expensive, so the chance of the unit failing pretty much decided for me.

When I talked to the guy at the store, he gave me a quick comparison of the maintenance requests for the two over the last few years. He said fully 1/3 of the xbox systems they'd sold came back within months and had to be repaired or replaced (google the "red ring of death" and you'll know what I mean). He said comparatively that the PS3's were more in line with average electronics failures (like 2% or something like that) and were in general a much more relaiable machine.

Another thing to consider is that the online network thingy for the PS3 is free vs. the $10-ish per month for the XBOX 360 online network thingy. So if you count the ongoing cost to stay on the xbox network versus the slightly higher initial cost of the PS3, claims that the XBOX is cheaper are kind of bullshit....unless you don't plan to use the online xbox services.

Overall, my comparison as of 2 years ago and which system won for various categories

Price - Comparable (counting the cost of staying online with xbox), plus if you want xbox Elite, there is little price difference on even on startup cost.

Games - 2 years ago Xbox was waaaaaay ahead, but PS3 has since caught up nicely and exclusive games are rare.

High def - PS3 obviously....it comes with a built-in blu-ray and a 5.1 surround soud card.

Wifi - Standard on PS3, Requires separately purchased adapter for the xbox.

Maintenance - PS3 no question 2 years ago. Current gen may have fixed the problems with the 360 but you'd have to read about it.

Warranty - Xbox: 3 years (because so many of their machines broke and courts made them extend it from 1 year to 3) PS3 1 year

Controller - Xbox without a doubt. If there was a way to make an Xbox controller work on my PS3, the ol' dualshocks would go in the frackin garbage.

Noise - PS3 makes none. Xbox fans are a bit loud, but not distracting

Overheating - Original 360's were known to overheat chronically. Current gen has addressed the issue last I read.

Online stuff - 360 has a waaaaaaaay bigger online community than PS3 in N. America, but you have to pay a monthly fee for it. PS network is free.

===========================

For the money, I would seriously consider the PS3. I've had mine for 2 years and a half and it works great, never crashes or overheats and I've had zero maintenance issues. Other than the hand-cramping controllers I am 110% satisfied.

EDIT: Spelling, etc...

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 23 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#12 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

sorry for the double post...

Wiki has a good objective comparison of the two systems too. Plus the net has a bunch of benchmark test results.

Performance wise they are about even...though some games look better on one than the other.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#13 User is offline   bwgan 

• OFFICIAL Keeper of Shiny Things of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:15 PM

The only thing I can add to this debate is that we bought a 360 for my son for Christmas....I think he still lives here... ;)

Yes, yes, he must, because I'm sure it's his voice I can hear screaming abuse at his 'friends'...even though his bedroom is two floors away!
'Tell me, Tool, what dominates your thoughts?'
The Imass shrugged before replying. 'I think of Mafia, Adjunct.'
'Do all Imass think about Mafia?'
'No. Few think at all.'
'Why is that?'
The Imass leaned his head to one side and regarded her. 'Because, Adjunct, they are sheeple.'

Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?" ... and then it hits me.

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Haha I love your attitude towards your kids bwgan, it's hilarious.

Anyway, I'd say PS3, mostly for versatility and greater reliability and performance.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

One of them comes with Blu-Ray and Netflix downloadable movie program. I'd take that one, unless Kotor III is going to come out, then it's 360 all the way.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#16 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Nowadays I think it's safe to say PS3 is a better console, overall. Especially if you want online stuff, because it's free!! That said, I owned a 360, and only played on a PS3 a couple of times... Little Big Planet is a fun game though ;)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#17 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jul 24 2009, 04:19 AM, said:

One of them comes with Blu-Ray and Netflix downloadable movie program. I'd take that one, unless Kotor III is going to come out, then it's 360 all the way.

KOTOR III won't be made for years and years yet, if it's even made at all. LucasArts are focusing on The Old Republic now, and probably will for quite a while.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#18 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

I was merely pointing out that the reason I originally bought an X-Box over a PlayStation 2 was because of Kotor. ;)
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#19 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Oh, well fair enough then. KOTOR is only the most awesomest game ever ;)

#20 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Jul 23 2009, 02:36 PM, said:

Oh, well fair enough then. KOTOR is only the most awesomest game ever ;)

Nuh-unh. Okami and Mario Kart on the N64 are the best games ever.

I'd go with the Xbox, purely because I have always hated the PS controllers. I'm actually a fan of the original Xbox controllers, as they fit my hands just perfect.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users