• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modding/Game Balance lolwut?

#61 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

it's not too hard. keep interaction to a minimum and don't give out suggestions or hints. It's pretty rare that I've seen anyone severly break those
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#62 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

View PostMorgoth, on Jun 16 2009, 04:03 PM, said:

it's not too hard. keep interaction to a minimum and don't give out suggestions or hints. It's pretty rare that I've seen anyone severly break those

Also tell people to fuck off and to stop bothering you with things. I have found that works well to. But then the wife won't talk to me for a while....
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#63 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

View PostVengeance, on Jun 16 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

Also tell people to fuck off and to stop bothering you with things. I have found that works well to. But then the wife won't talk to me for a while....

Yeah, I tried that with Sarah.. She just looked at me

#64 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostMorgoth, on Jun 16 2009, 04:07 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on Jun 16 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

Yeah, I tried that with Sarah.. She just looked at me

Yeah I know that look. It makes you shut the computer down quickly.... ;)

#65 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

I dislike this notion of a "loser's game" going on for people who are dead. I can see its merits, but I can't shake the idea of people in the more complicated, hidden-mechanic games getting frustrated and deciding to get themselves killed because they have changed their minds about what they signed up for.

As for whining, as long as its constructive it shouldn't be discouraged. It's easy enough to belligerently yell at whiners, and the bits of constructiveness that are actually useful can be very important sometimes.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#66 User is offline   Malaese 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

View PostD'rek, on Jun 16 2009, 02:12 PM, said:

I dislike this notion of a "loser's game" going on for people who are dead. I can see its merits, but I can't shake the idea of people in the more complicated, hidden-mechanic games getting frustrated and deciding to get themselves killed because they have changed their minds about what they signed up for.

As for whining, as long as its constructive it shouldn't be discouraged. It's easy enough to belligerently yell at whiners, and the bits of constructiveness that are actually useful can be very important sometimes.

If you start it two or three RL days after the first game there isn't really time for that type of thing. I think staggered is good because you can get a couple co-mods for the first couple days of the game when it is the craziest, then they can play in the m&p game. It also gives people the opportunity to help tune the big games in the mechanics forum without having to sit out mafia for a week and a half.
QUOTE (morgoth45)
That's been established as scientific fact. For those of you who are familiar with science, you know it proves nothing conclusively as there can always be an anomaly, but a scientific law is something that is true 90% of the time.

#67 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:31 PM

View PostGeneral King, on Jun 16 2009, 08:08 PM, said:

Grief may have a grudge due to the LOTR game where he played gollum, I think he went insane.

Hey, it wasn't my fault I had a role that was bsaically impossible to win. 2 people hunting me specifically, no powers bar pinching the ring, choosing from 24 players, and even then I had to hold onto it for a few days. Sauron had BPs, a whole team to back him, powers, and if HE pinched the ring he basically won immediately ;)

Not only that, but it was altless, and grudges seem to be acted on a lot more on modcraft.

Most probably the most difficult role I have ever played-one of the hardest i've seen most likely(not including trying to kepe you alive :killingme:)

On another note I think the balance should improve with the development forum, I think attention to balance is something we should be more aware of-it's annoying as hell if you play really well, only to find out that, despite your efforts, your team was severely disadvantaged from the start and you lose because of it. It makes you feel like you playing in the first place was a bit pointless.

This was kind of the main problem I had with heroes v1. The game was decided by a very small number of powerful roles, everyone else, due to the severe power of other roles, didn't really come into it.

And that brings me onto another point. In my opinion, the majority of the game should be decided by what happens at day-that's when clever plays happen etc. However, with lots of really strong roles, the night actions(which often can come down to random chance) become more important than who actually plays best in the day phase.

On a similar note, lynch BPs. I erally think we should move away form them, they've become more and more common, and i'm really not fond of them. They don't add to the game.

Because lets face it, you give someone a lynch BP, they survive a lynch, then they're just gonna be a target, for more lynches, actions etc, since it's obvious they're a power role. It just slows things down, and again, I dislike the roles being more important than the actual play.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#68 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

View PostGrief, on Jun 16 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

View PostGeneral King, on Jun 16 2009, 08:08 PM, said:

Grief may have a grudge due to the LOTR game where he played gollum, I think he went insane.

On a similar note, lynch BPs. I erally think we should move away form them, they've become more and more common, and i'm really not fond of them. They don't add to the game.

Because lets face it, you give someone a lynch BP, they survive a lynch, then they're just gonna be a target, for more lynches, actions etc, since it's obvious they're a power role. It just slows things down, and again, I dislike the roles being more important than the actual play.

Yeah one of these days I will have to apologize for starting that.....Not going to now...But sometime...;)

#69 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

Lynch BP's are crazy, but sometimes they are a must - not too many though. ;)
As for night actions getting more important than day, I found that the Heroes games have a tendency to draw in that direction. Big power roles usually create that kind of dynamic. There are ways to balance up - but it's hard to mod and requires alot of work - and it's either great as a player or horrible as a player. I don't think it inherently has to slow down the game - it depends on how it's done I guess.
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#70 User is offline   General King 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Me and goe do admit that gollum was the hardest role, so I think you may need to give yourself 5 points in the modcraft progress for that grief, how is that coming along?

General King

#71 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

I'm also very much against changing vote mechanics and silencing people. Just so you know ;)

#72 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

View PostBent, on Jun 16 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

View Postdrinksinbars, on Jun 16 2009, 03:25 PM, said:

back on topic and away from the whole circle jerk back slapping you all stumbled on, there has been a growing level of whinging i noticed during the games and it does get very annoying when modding when in a high tmdi game players are complaining as they think they know what should be happening. there should be a level of trust between players and the mods, constant whingeing just makes the mods less likely to be attentive. equally signing up and not playing is very frustrating when someone has tried to craft a game.

and it cant be a list when it has only one name on it ;)

View Postdrinksinbars, on Jun 16 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

discussing mechanics with the mod behind the scenes is fine in my opinion. on thread whingeing and then sending the same crap to the mods is beyond the pale and should stop.

I refuse to have a serious conversation about WHINING, with someone who refuses to spell the word properly. (Im a big bag of dicks)

On topic. Yes, small M&P would be nice, but might keep mods from getting co-mod help from the dead.

there is a big difference between Whining, and Whinging you twit.

#73 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

@drek - this wont be a losers game we are talkign about, the game will be totally seperate minis running one after the other.

#74 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

View Postdrinksinbars, on Jun 17 2009, 04:02 AM, said:

there is a big difference between Whining, and Whinging you twit.

really? one is complaining and the other is good with buffalo sauce?
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#75 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Theres a G!!!!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic