Modding/Game Balance lolwut?

#21 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

View PostPeanutbutta, on Jun 16 2009, 09:01 PM, said:

View PostGem Windcaster, on Jun 16 2009, 11:54 AM, said:

View PostPeanutbutta, on Jun 16 2009, 06:48 PM, said:

I think maybe I need to lose to JA to have the same loving feelings as you, Gem.

I don't think you have played that many games where JA played too, am I right? I am hoping you are the one to break him though. You could be. :killingme: (here's hoping)

@ General King, if you ever find yourself in the same team as JA, you might understand. ;) Or opposing team. Or a little of both...

I played one game with him, I think, TPB, and he was one of my symps... he semi imploded by fake revealing a special finder and got himself killed.

Hehe, that reveal would have worked if three separate people hadnt countered him. A lot of the games where he did something spectacular have been lost to the abyss. I remember following him around like a puppy in my first game (29?) and him all but winning it for scum in grief's dancefloor mini. Cant remember anything else noteable - he's generally just a solid player and is very difficult to lynch because he almost always has a fairly plausible story and manages to answer every point you make with convincing Walls-of-Text.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#22 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

back on topic and away from the whole circle jerk back slapping you all stumbled on, there has been a growing level of whinging i noticed during the games and it does get very annoying when modding when in a high tmdi game players are complaining as they think they know what should be happening. there should be a level of trust between players and the mods, constant whingeing just makes the mods less likely to be attentive. equally signing up and not playing is very frustrating when someone has tried to craft a game.

and it cant be a list when it has only one name on it ;)

#23 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Guys, this isn't about specific lists or grudges you have. This is about if we want to change some of the dynamics of how we mod and how we play.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#24 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

ha - you are all so scared of ja, hes easy to fool and even easier to lynch, you just SHOUT AND SWEAR REALLY FREQUENTLY!!! he cant handle it ;)

#25 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

View PostObdigore, on Jun 16 2009, 08:25 PM, said:

Guys, this isn't about specific lists or grudges you have. This is about if we want to change some of the dynamics of how we mod and how we play.

if i could make one single suggestion it is that we have a simple meat and potatoes game with no more than 12 players running pretty much all the time. doesnt have to have a theme, but should cycle the modding duties to give people a chance to mod and a game that will be fast paced and always available and easy to setup. from this people who wish to run a high tmdi game will have had to have run at least one meat and potato game to understand the time constraints ofmodding in a less stressful game so they can revise their prospective game afterward with more experience.

#26 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

View PostObdigore, on Jun 16 2009, 02:25 PM, said:

As I don't whine to the mods about shit when I am playing...and I refuse to change the way I play or mod I think we can close this thread.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#27 User is offline   Malaese 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

View Postdrinksinbars, on Jun 16 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

if i could make one single suggestion it is that we have a simple meat and potatoes game with no more than 12 players running pretty much all the time. doesnt have to have a theme, but should cycle the modding duties to give people a chance to mod and a game that will be fast paced and always available and easy to setup. from this people who wish to run a high tmdi game will have had to have run at least one meat and potato game to understand the time constraints ofmodding in a less stressful game so they can revise their prospective game afterward with more experience.

I like this idea, I've thought for a while this site could handle a "second chance" game that starts 3ish days after the main game. The idea is to keep dead people busy while the big game goes on, people that missed the sign up or don't want to play the current big game could all get in. Keep it small and m&p, altless if you have too. Probably have to set up a seperate SH for it, but I think it would be fun.
QUOTE (morgoth45)
That's been established as scientific fact. For those of you who are familiar with science, you know it proves nothing conclusively as there can always be an anomaly, but a scientific law is something that is true 90% of the time.

#28 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

View PostVengeance, on Jun 16 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on Jun 16 2009, 02:25 PM, said:

As I don't whine to the mods about shit when I am playing...and I refuse to change the way I play or mod I think we can close this thread.

vengyou dont whine, you bombard ;)

#29 User is offline   General King 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Yeah we did get off track,

The main complaint when I'm modding a game especially on modcraft is, sometimes we have a lot of people on able to play and then other times it just so low.

In my view if a player has a complaint about setup, it should be made when he is either in spoiler heaven or when game is over. And I would rather have when game is over.

Ok simple question, I've done the LOTR game which had a load of mechanics, some new and some modifed.

To the star trek game which was a simple setup with a new well thought up mechanic called sabotage.

From experience from other modders how many additional mechanisms do you try to have in a game to make it different?

General King

This post has been edited by General King: 16 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

#30 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:38 PM

1, building the game around it, or having it as a spice on a traditional idea. for myself the first game i modded was different as i took out nights and gave everyone but ment a role. for the second was lost and the mechanic was a triple cult location based game. third was reality dysfunction, where the dead where the cult.

#31 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

As for whining, I think you shouldn't whine about high TMDI games unless you've tried running one yourself at one point. Most people have valid points about the games though, so it's not like I'm complaining - just saying. ;)
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#32 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

discussing mechanics with the mod behind the scenes is fine in my opinion. on thread whingeing and then sending the same crap to the mods is beyond the pale and should stop.

#33 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

View Postdrinksinbars, on Jun 16 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

discussing mechanics with the mod behind the scenes is fine in my opinion. on thread whingeing and then sending the same crap to the mods is beyond the pale and should stop.

Yeah, I certainly don't mind getting some heat while running a game, it's fun to post in SH. ;) I mean , who doesn't unload some frustration on the mods? But just general whining goes nowhere.

#34 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

View PostGeneral King, on Jun 16 2009, 09:36 PM, said:

Yeah we did get off track,

The main complaint when I'm modding a game especially on modcraft is, sometimes we have a lot of people on able to play and then other times it just so low.

In my view if a player has a complaint about setup, it should be made when he is either in spoiler heaven or when game is over. And I would rather have when game is over.

Ok simple question, I've done the LOTR game which had a load of mechanics, some new and some modifed.

To the star trek game which was a simple setup with a new well thought up mechanic called sabotage.

From experience from other modders how many additional mechanisms do you try to have in a game to make it different?

General King

as few as possible
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#35 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

View PostMalaese, on Jun 16 2009, 09:34 PM, said:

View Postdrinksinbars, on Jun 16 2009, 12:30 PM, said:

I like this idea, I've thought for a while this site could handle a "second chance" game that starts 3ish days after the main game. The idea is to keep dead people busy while the big game goes on, people that missed the sign up or don't want to play the current big game could all get in. Keep it small and m&p, altless if you have too. Probably have to set up a seperate SH for it, but I think it would be fun.

I also think this is a good idea. It would allow people interested in modding a taste of the amount of work required to setup and run a game (comodding doesnt always do so) and allow new people who are interested a fairly straight forward game to cut their teeth on. I think we have the numbers to do this, and unless we start moving towards 25+ player games (which can become a bit too big) we may have to do so anyway or people will only be able to play two out of three games due to player constraints.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#36 User is offline   General King 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Ok has anyone came across a magic number for number of players, cause in my experience 20 - 25 is the upper limit and is it 6 for the minimum?

Or is it again just varies from game to game.

General King

#37 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

View PostGeneral King, on Jun 16 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

Ok has anyone came across a magic number for number of players, cause in my experience 20 - 25 is the upper limit and is it 6 for the minimum?

Or is it again just varies from game to game.

General King

in my opinion the best number is 12-13

#38 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

How many were we in Heroes 2.0? It was like 27 players or something right? I'll never do that mistake again. ;)

#39 User is offline   General King 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

That a reasonable number,

so basic set up would be 3 scum rest inno i take it?

General King

#40 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

View PostGeneral King, on Jun 16 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

That a reasonable number,

so basic set up would be 3 scum rest inno i take it?

General King

thirteen players, say 2 killers, 1 symp a healer and a vig/guard/bp all depending.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users