• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which fantasy writer are you?

#41 User is offline   Salk Elan 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

I got Mary Gentle too (maybe that's their default value :p).

35 High-Brow, 15 violent, 21 Experimental, 33 Cynical
From the definitions offered below the result, it seems fitting to me.

Having never read Mary Gentle though, I instantly looked her up at Amazon, but from what I've been reading there, I highly doubt I will ever pick up a book by her.
But the alternate suggestion Gene Wolfe is convenient to me, as I enjoyed those of his works I read (Books of the New Sun, Books of the Long Sun).

(Not that any of my works in progress will ever get finished :p... I'm not a big deal in actual plot-building, rather a character-developer. - So: No real chance for me becoming an author... Maybe better for the reading world too... Posted Image)

#42 User is offline   Impirion 

• Captain
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Most sports, particularly football (that's soccer to you americans), and tennis. Reading (obviously!). Computer games, mostly RTS stuff, although also enjoy football manager and sports sims.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

David Eddings, -5 High Brow, 7 Violent, -27 Experimental 13 Cynical. Seems quite fitting to me, except the high brow one obviously, I concur with bwgan, I read SE, how can I be low brow :p

Never read the Belgariad or any of his other books. May have a look at them now though.

#43 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

´Philip Pullman (b.1946)

13 High-Brow, -7 Violent, 9 Experimental and 19 Cynical!

No idea who that guy is.

-- You are also a lot like Tove Jansson.

If you want something some action, try Gene Wolfe.

If you'd like a challenge, try your exact opposite, J R R Tolkien. --

I'm not sure I agree on the violent thingy though...hmm.

This post has been edited by Gem Windcaster: 22 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#44 User is offline   Impirion 

• Captain
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Most sports, particularly football (that's soccer to you americans), and tennis. Reading (obviously!). Computer games, mostly RTS stuff, although also enjoy football manager and sports sims.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

Yay at my English Geniusness. 100% 100% 100% 93% Damn further farther. By the way, answer key for whoever it was wanting to know where they had gone wrong: http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/

#45 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

The English test thingy: Well I'm surprised, I never thought I'd do that good, what's wrong with the test?

English Genius

You scored 93% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 87% Expert!

This post has been edited by Gem Windcaster: 22 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#46 User is offline   CapitalM 

• Recruit

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:28 AM

View Postjitsukerr, on 17 June 2009 - 10:48 AM, said:

Lian Hearn is a great read, I'd recommend checking her out. She also has some of the best titles in the business. Her Tales of the Otori series starts with _Across The Nightingale Floor_, and continues with _Grass For His Pilllow_ and _Brilliance Of The Moon_. There are a couple of books after that initial trilogy.

Hopefully not spoiling this for anyone, but finishing a series with a massive deus ex machina is a huge turnoff for me =(

#47 User is offline   Vesper 

• Cadre Mage: Non-Expendable Army

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

I got Ursula K. Le Guin. Personally, the only work of her's that I knew of was Earthsea, and even then I didn't exactly see myself writing in that style. This test isn't really all that intuitive... my personal feelings don't define the work in its entirety, I mostly let the story do that. Characters I write about rarely do something I would do...

Anyways, here's the full description of what I got... Overall I'm kind of moderate, according to this quiz.

High-Brow vs. Low-Brow

You received 35 points, making you more High-Brow than Low-Brow. Being high-browed in this context refers to being more fascinated with the sort of art that critics and scholars tend to favour, rather than the best-selling kind. At their best, high-brows are cultured, able to appreciate the finer nuances of literature and not content with simplifications. At their worst they are, well, snobs.

Violent vs. Peaceful

You received -19 points, making you more Peaceful than Violent. This scale is a measurement of a) if you are tolerant to violence in fiction and :rolleyes: whether you see violence as a means that can be used to achieve a good end. If you aren't, and you don't, then you are peaceful as defined here. At their best, peaceful people are the ones who encourage dialogue and understanding as a means of solving conflicts. At their worst, they are standing passively by as they or third parties are hurt by less scrupulous individuals.

Experimental vs. Traditional

You received -5 points, making you more Traditional than Experimental. Your position on this scale indicates if you're more likely to seek out the new and unexpected or if you are more comfortable with the familiar, especially in regards to culture. Note that traditional as defined here does not equal conservative, in the political sense. At their best, traditional people don't change winning concepts, favouring storytelling over empty poses. At their worst, they are somewhat narrow-minded.

Cynical vs. Romantic

You received 7 points, making you more Cynical than Romantic. Your position on this scale indicates if you are more likely to be wary, suspicious and skeptical to people around you and the world at large, or if you are more likely to believe in grand schemes, happy endings and the basic goodness of humankind. It is by far the most vaguely defined scale, which is why you'll find the sentence "you are also a lot like x" above. If you feel that your position on this scale is wrong, then you are probably more like author x. At their best, cynical people are able to see through lies and spot crucial flaws in plans and schemes. At their worst, they are overly negative, bringing everybody else down.

This post has been edited by Vesper: 13 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass

were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred

thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath

across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones.

Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'

#48 User is offline   Aimless 

• First Sword

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

I thought this was a fun test, pleasantly surprised =P

I was VERY pleased to see Jordan's face stare at me from the final screen :)

http://www.helloquiz...Experimental=-5

I found this interesting:

You are also a lot like J K Rowling.

If you want some action, try David Eddings.

If you'd like a challenge, try your exact opposite, Gene Wolfe.

I'm not a big fan of Rowling, but Eddings was the writer that first got me hooked on fantasy... and Gene Wolfe is one of my absolute favourites!

#49 User is offline   Grand Goombah Graeld 

• Captain
  • Interests:Cars, fantasy sci-fi, writing, lifting, mma, history, architecture, cats, heavy metal
  • As if you care...

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

I got Mary Gentle (who I'd never heard of prior to this).
13 High-Brow, 23 Violent, 31 Experimental and 3 Cynical
And J.K. Rowling as my opposite.

And on the nerd/geek/dork test:

Joe Normal
48 % Nerd, 4% Geek, 13% Dork

This post has been edited by Grand Goombah Graeld: 23 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

#50 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

View PostGrand Goombah Graeld, on 23 April 2010 - 08:25 PM, said:

I got Mary Gentle (who I'd never heard of prior to this).
13 High-Brow, 23 Violent, 31 Experimental and 3 Cynical
And J.K. Rowling as my opposite.

I got the same. Only with slightly less Experimental and a LOT more Cynical. :o

#51 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I got JK Rowling and I'm also a bit like Robert Jordan? Don't like either of their works... And the four terms that "define" me are four which no one who knows me would ever use: Low-Brow, Peaceful, Traditional and Romantic.
Be Your Own Hero

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users