Malazan Empire: Mafia 46.5: The Deepgate Game - Malazan Empire

• 75 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mafia 46.5: The Deepgate Game Factions? What Factions?

#41 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

View PostSilanah, on Jun 4 2009, 09:12 PM, said:

I was referring to the fact that that the king of hell was coming up to take care of business himself.

That's what I mean. Doesn't mean all the dead folk are coming up with him, just his chosen army of demons and warriors and archonites and such. The average dead dude is probably still in hell taking whatever punsihment he was given, so it's probably still preferable to be a minion of Ulcis.

#42 User is offline   Silanah 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

So ur saying it's better to service Ulcis than Menoa.

#43 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

View PostSilanah, on Jun 4 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The average Joe would probably be happier in compelled service to Ulcis then having his body mutated into a room where his soul is trapped inside said room as part of a giant maze of billions of people-rooms, each with their soul trapped inside and unable to get out because its a maze with no determinable exit...

#44 User is offline   Gamelon 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

View PostKorlat, on Jun 4 2009, 01:20 PM, said:

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The average Joe would probably be happier in compelled service to Ulcis then having his body mutated into a room where his soul is trapped inside said room as part of a giant maze of billions of people-rooms, each with their soul trapped inside and unable to get out because its a maze with no determinable exit...

Or you could service Ulcis 24/7.

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...

#45 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

View PostGamelon, on Jun 4 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

Some people are into that stuff more than others. It is the priesthood of chains after all...

#46 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

ermm... I barely recall Scar night, but i'm pretty sure

SPOILERS

Spoiler

oh, and if i'm horribly wrong, don't correct me much, I still intend to read Iron Angel at some point.

This post has been edited by Liosan: 04 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

#47 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

View PostKorlat, on Jun 4 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

Some people are into that stuff more than others. It is the priesthood of chains after all...

you know, I think I figured out why other forumites are scared of mafia.
it's because all our day 1 banter inevitably comes down to S & M

#48 User is offline   Meanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

So Ulcis was the god at the bottom of the abyss? But from what I recall, it wasn't very nice down there...definitely not something you'd choose of your own accord.

#49 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

View PostLiosan, on Jun 4 2009, 09:51 PM, said:

This one might be especially good for that too. From the opening scene, seems this'll be based more on Iron Angel (the 2nd book) than Scar Night (the 1st), but the evil angel chick in Scar Night has supreme daddy issues of gangrape and cuts herself across her entire body. She's not part of the plot in Iron Angel, though, so might not be in this game.

On that note, everyone see the reduced CF bit in the opener? This is going to be a paranoia-heavy game!

#50 User is offline   Liosan 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

View PostKorlat, on Jun 4 2009, 01:55 PM, said:

View PostLiosan, on Jun 4 2009, 09:51 PM, said:

This one might be especially good for that too. From the opening scene, seems this'll be based more on Iron Angel (the 2nd book) than Scar Night (the 1st), but the evil angel chick in Scar Night has supreme daddy issues of gangrape and cuts herself across her entire body. She's not part of the plot in Iron Angel, though, so might not be in this game.

On that note, everyone see the reduced CF bit in the opener? This is going to be a paranoia-heavy game!

so, we're not given faction names?
damn, i'm gonna have to get my hands on Iron Angel ASAP...

#51 User is offline   Meanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

View PostLiosan, on Jun 4 2009, 02:01 PM, said:

It's going to put people who have read it at an advantage, yeah :).

I didn't think all that much of the first one, which is why I never picked up the second. Guess I'll just have to trust everyone else to tell me who is who.

#52 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Hmmm, off to cook dinner, your mod is. :)
So you'll be modless for a bit.
Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#53 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostMeanas, on Jun 4 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

It's going to put people who have read it at an advantage, yeah :) .

I didn't think all that much of the first one, which is why I never picked up the second. Guess I'll just have to trust everyone else to tell me who is who.

Fear not mighty Meanas! We shall endeavor to re-educate you to the wonders of the codex!

And then I get silenced...

#54 User is offline   Meanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

View PostKorlat, on Jun 4 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

View PostMeanas, on Jun 4 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

Fear not mighty Meanas! We shall endeavor to re-educate you to the wonders of the codex!

And then I get silenced...

Why thank you, that would be most welcome :D.

I hope there's no silencing in this game - I've never liked the mechanic.

#55 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

I think maybe I'll just throw a big summary together with as many pseudo-main characters I can think of, rather than try to do it case-by-case because that would be tricky and I'm bound to get it wrong, and then you'd all be mad at me. This way you can make your own incorrect conclusions and get mad at me for those instead. :)

#56 User is offline   Meanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

*prepares mad face in anticipation*

#57 User is offline   Gamelon 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

View PostMeanas, on Jun 4 2009, 02:11 PM, said:

It's going to put people who have read it at an advantage, yeah :).

According to signup the factions have been mixed around so a name-based CF isn't going to be perfect to determine faction.

#58 User is offline   Meanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

View PostGamelon, on Jun 4 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

View PostMeanas, on Jun 4 2009, 02:11 PM, said:

According to signup the factions have been mixed around so a name-based CF isn't going to be perfect to determine faction.

Sure, but I can't believe they'd change everything. There'll have to be some similarities...

Ah well, hopefully we'll get enough info from those that have read the books to piece everything together.

#59 User is offline   Korlat 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Okay here we go, character summary first:

So as you all know now, Deepgate is a city in a gorge/volcano/thingy and they worship Ulcis the God of Chains.

Dill is one of the last 2 angels left on Earth (that anyone knows about, anyway) and so Sypes and the church keep him in a very sheltered life as a headpiece for the church. He's kind of like the farmboy of the story, in that he can't do much and whines a bit about it.

Archon - Archons are the word for supreme warrior-angels, back in the day, and Dill wishes he could be one. They were very potent but the airships of Deepgate make up for the lack of them now that there are no Archons left.

Rachel is a "Spine", an assassin of the church, but she hasn't yet undergone a procedure that makers her lose all her emotion (there's the BDSM again, the ritual is basically just her getting tortured til she doesn't feel pain any more). She's kinda the one all the other assassins use as a scapegoat, so she gets crappy assignments like teaching Dill how to fight.

Dill & Rachel are the main protaganists in books 1 & 2 (let's not go into book 3 or the prequel just yet, anyway). They're friends and then lovers and then bicurious lovers looking for a threesome, and then just super-friends-with-benefits and then monogamistic lovers again. Or something like that.

---
The following characters pretty much only appear in Scar Night:
---

Sypes is an important dude in the city's political and priestly structure (if he's not the thead of the clergy, he's up there).

Fogwill Crumb is Sypes' assistant. Another priestly dude.

Mark is Rachael's brother and he flies aeroplanes and doesn't want Rachael to go through with the whole torture thingy.

Nettle is a citizen who got really pissed because his daughter was killed and goes around hunted the killer (who he thinks is Carnival).

Alexander Devon is a High Alchemist of the city and goes insane and then starts abducting people and taking their blood, hoping to make some crazy alchemical concoction from the blood of 13 virgins or something like that.

Carnival is the other remaining angel, though she's been around for about 3000 years. Every lunar cycle there's a moonless night and on that night she kills someone and drinks their blood to make her live longer. She also has daddy issues, mommy issues (both rape related) and some selective amnesia.
Spoiler

Ulcis is the God of Chains that the Deepgaters worship, said to lie at the bottom of the gorge/volcano/thingy. He and his 6 siblings are all the kids of Iril and Ayen, the gods that are in heaven. Each of the 7 kids was kicked out and chill around Earth for the most part.

---
Characters from Iron Angel:
---

Cospinol another of the 7 kid-Gods. He is imprisoned in a big blimp surrounded by dark mist (but he can still collect souls from there).

John Anchor the blimp of Cospinol is tied by a rope around John Anchor's waist. He's a bloody giant (and immortal), so the blimp goes wherever he goes and it cuts through buildings if necessary (though John can just smash them down).

Hasp another of the 7 kid-Gods, he has forts and soldiers in Hell, defending against Menoa

Alice a human, she's a super-mechanic-type who can engineer stuff, but is secretly in cahoots with Menoa

Menoa is the King of Hell, he gets all the souls the kid-Gods don't collect and he subjects them to an assortment of punishments.

Archonites - Menoa made his own super-warriors, called Archonites and obviously a sort of copycat or Archons. Alice had a big hand in making them, too. They're made of metal (cyborg angels!!!)

Jack is a human who guides John Anchor around, and is actually trying to secretly rob John (he has a lot of gemstones and that sort of thing).

Rys is another kid-God and trying to get a revolt going once the doors to Heaven open again (which'll surely happen with Hell opened up to Earth).

Trench is an ancester of Dill, which means he actually has(had) the same soul as Dill has now, and he tries to take over Dill to warn them about Hell. There's time travel, by the way, it gets weird.

edit: added Rys, Archons/Archnoites, Trench, Jack

This post has been edited by Korlat: 04 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

#60 User is offline   Meanas 

• Recruit

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

Cheers Korlat, that's very helpful :). I remember the Scar Night characters now.

Couple of other images that are stuck in my head:

- Someone (Rachel?) rolling down a street in what I can only describe as a metal version of a Zorb Ball.
- A war being waged between Deepgate and some neighbouring infidels using unbeatable death machines.

Am I on target with those?

Share this topic:

• 75 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users