Malazan Empire: How much does fashion play (or not play) a role in your life? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How much does fashion play (or not play) a role in your life?

Poll: Your Fashion Sense Scale (37 member(s) have cast votes)

My fashion sense is:

1. I dress in the dark. (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

2. Jeans and t-shirt. (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

3. I know enough to put a brown belt with brown shoes. (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

4. I try to look "put together" (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

5. I dont always dress fashionably, but I have a few killer outfits (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

6. I try to dress fashionably every day. (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

7. I am fashion rabid and my clothes collection is embarrasingly large. (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

8. Only brand goods or custom tailored for me! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Fashion? (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

How fashionable are you? Do you follow trends? Do you have your own 'style' that you stick with? Do you have a lot of clothes? What's youre idea of fashionable? Do you shop regularly to keep yourself in new clothing?

Also, just out of curiousity: What's the most expensive single piece of clothing in your wardrobe?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the record, I voted for "put together". Around the house I wear t-shirts and shorts/jeans. If I go out for the day with the wife, I try a little harder. I don't know much about fashion, but I believe that accessories are important. If you take a decent shirt and matching pair of pants(trousers) and add a nice belt and shoes, it rounds everything out much more nicely. I own some mid-brand stuff, but I don't have any real "brand name" clothing other than the suits I wear to work. And I'm a sucker for expensive sunglasses.

I also try to buy things that I believe will LAST. Things that wont go out of style in a season, and won't get holes and fall apart quickly. As a result, I think I look good, but I don't actually shop for new clothes very often. (once or twice a year, not counting underwear)

My most expensive piece of clothing is a classic look overcoat made in Italy which was between $700 and $800 US. In the grand scheme of fashion that isn't all that expensive, and I plan to use it "forever". Looks sharp on the way to work in the winter.

I'm not really interested in fashion, but I'm curious to see how stereotypically fantasy nerdy this board really is :D

This post has been edited by RodeoRanch: 24 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

I honestly don't give a toss about what's trendy or anything. As long as it isn't fluoro or Hawaaian, it's all good. My brother, on the other hand, is a complete fanatic. He's into those white shirts with garish colours smashed across them. And he wears what passes for women's shoes. It's true!

My usual ensemble is a short-sleeve T-shirt, pair of boardshorts and sandals.

EDIT: Most expensive piece? Probably my school blazer.

This post has been edited by Ain't_It_Just_: 24 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Any forum members who've met me in real life will know how fashionable I am.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Fill me in, Illy.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#5 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Im generally just a jeans and Tshirt kind of person, occasionally changing the tshirt for a shirt if im trying to look a bit smarter :D
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Apr 24 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

Fill me in, Illy.

I read that and immediately thought you meant something completely, utterly different... *shudder*

#7 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

Usually Black. I do own a few jeans (blue) since recently and some (t)shirts that are of a lighter colour. Combat boots, always. Unless I go running. Black socks, black belt. Black hoodie (might be dark blue, dark gray when the black has hit the washing machine). Boxers.

I do own a number of suits. Black, of course.

This post has been edited by cauthon: 24 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

#8 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Yay! Almost summer, when shorts and sandals (no shirt, AAAAA!!!) will become my main fare, at least on weekends.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#9 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

View Postcauthon, on Apr 24 2009, 12:31 PM, said:

Usually Black. I do own a few jeans (blue) since recently and some (t)shirts that are of a lighter colour. Combat boots, always. Unless I go running. Black socks, black belt. Black hoodie (might be dark blue, dark gray when the black has hit the washing machine). Boxers.

I do own a number of suits. Black, of course.

Well see, that's your own style. Gotta respect consistency. I also respect lack of consistency though, because if I didn't, I couldn't respect myself. :D

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

View PostAptorian, on Apr 24 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Apr 24 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

Fill me in, Illy.

I read that and immediately thought you meant something completely, utterly different... *shudder*

Posted Image
Suck it Errant!

#11 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

I am horrible when it comes to fashion and uncertain I never learned the real rules,

but now that I am a little older, I can dress my self for the night clubs with relative surety that I wont get laughed at... I have done well enough with the ladies so I am not terrible, but by no means a fashion guru...

when It comes to normal every day stuff, I prefer a good pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt, Cargo pants are actually my favorite to wear for the sole reason I can put my walled in the side pocket isntead of having it push into my cheek...

when going out, I wear slacks or blue jeans, and mix it up between some type of trendy long sleave shirt, or button up shirt, with white grey or black as an under shirt, or sometimes a trendy hoody will work...

when it comes to shoes I am terrible at know what to pick, so i stay safe with a nice clean pair of Nike's or brown dressy(ish) shoes...

but chillen at my house/room/card board box i am at my most comfortable wearing basketball shorts, T-shirts and sandals.

word, and I cant believe I just wrote that much for a fashion thread... yucky :D
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#12 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Japan has made me more concerned with fashion than is healthy. People try hard around these parts. I'm always amazed at how well dressed everyone is. My mother always overdressed me for every occasion when I was young, so this actually comes as an advantage in Japan.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Apr 24 2009, 12:27 PM, said:

Fill me in, Illy.

Try and find any pictures of me on the website. You pervert.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

While I rarely buy items that are at the height of fashion, I usually dress in slightly less garish derivatives of the current fashion. I don't really follow fashion per se but I keep my eyes open and make subconscious note of what I think currently looks good and then buy accordingly. Also, my sister is an absolute fashion victim so if I keep tabs on what she's wearing then I know what's going on. It is great when she has a clearout because I get a load of free barely-worn fashionable stuff.

Unfortunately, I currently look like shite. I haven't bought anything new all year and can never find anything I want to wear in the morning despite 2 full wardrobes. I desperately need to shop. I don't spend huge amounts on individual items and I despise Labels. My most expensive items are in the £100-£200 range and I probably go shopping at least 20 times a year :D
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#15 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Do you cycle things out of your wardrobe Mezla, or does it just 'grow'? 20 times a year :D that would start encroaching on my wife's precious closet space.

I have a happy (but irritating) predicament at the moment. I've lost about 5 excess kilos over the past 14 months, so a lot of my pants don't fit properly anymore. I have a bunch of nice pants that would be a waste to get rid of, and I don't want to buy more because of the expense. Maybe I'll buy a bunch of belts instead.

#16 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

i just dress smart casual all the time, heading toward casual more often than not. I also always have a beard and shave my head, so that should tell you a lot :p so fashion, no cant say i notice much, but then in northern ireland there isnt really fashion, people either wear gaelic tops and are culties, tracksuits and are spides or chavs, or dress casual and are normal. When i visit other countries i am always shocked by the effort people put into their appearance, in france and italy you could spot me and the missus a mile way as we are the only two who look like they are going to the beach even at midnight :D that said i have a few expensive enough suits that i can look sharp if i want and i rarely if ever go on a night out without a shirt on.

i think when you have been in a relationship for a long time, appearance sort of takes a back seat to laziness

#17 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

I have three settings:

Work

Casual

and Student Rugby

The first is where I spend the money, I read GQ and follow fashion advice, my suits have to be tailored, ties silk and shirts fitted. I have 12 suits, plus a tux, 30 shirts mainly white, light blue, light biege/cream, if they are patterned its subtle and above all light coloured ( I think dark shirt, light tie is a bloody crime) and 50 pairs of colourful socks (you should only wear black socks to a funeral) to match all combinations of shirts/ties and suits, 5 pairs of smart black shoes, one brown pair, 2 tan and brogues, all of these are expensive, but then expensive leather shoes are worth the investment as they last and can be resoled time and again.

Casual is all polos and jeans, with some jumpers thrown in, all good quality but not necessarily labels, think Franklin and Marshall, Lyle and Scott, Firetrap, Ted Baker etc mid level brands, and one of about 10 pairs of trainers.

Student Rugby player is tight tees or rugby shirts, hoodies, baggy jeans or shorts with flip flops, I guarantee you this is the uniform of all student rugby players and ex-student rugby players and is probably the most comfy of all, there are no labels here except Canterbury.

The only things that I would wear through all styles are my watches I am an enthusiastic collector of automatic watches (Omegas, Tags, Breitlings, Bell and Ross etc) and my collection is steadily growing, I always wear a good watch.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 24 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

I AM A TWAT

#18 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

never wear watches or jewellery of any kind, never have and never will. bloody hate the feeling of it more than anything else, and dude thats an enormous amount of clothes imo!!

#19 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Fucking tell me about it mate I have no room at all!
I AM A TWAT

#20 User is offline   Valgard 

• Bored Microbiologist (not a good combination)

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Me I work in a laboratory so no need so expensive clothes or looking smart so i wear jeans and T-shirts most of the time. I have some clothes for going out in shirts etc. also have a couple of suits for interviews and balls/weddings.

The most expensive thing I own is either my raincoat which was about £150 as it is needed in the wet and wild north. Or it would be my leather jacket, which was about £120 but has now lasted 8 years of a lot of use and is still very good so i am happy with it.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users