• You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#281 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostClockwork Apt, on 02 March 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Never having played the game I installed Morrowind along with the Overhaul mod this weekend, but then I got sidetracked by beer and Singularity.

I played a little bit but I admit it felt a bit ugly and awkward but I will give it another try later.

Morrowind is a bit of an eyesore, given what you can find elsewhere, but it's well worth your time. The possibilities are truly endless in this game, more than in any other I've ever played.

#282 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 March 2011 - 03:09 AM, said:

View PostLusipher, on 02 March 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

Never having played the game I installed Morrowind along with the Overhaul mod this weekend, but then I got sidetracked by beer and Singularity.

I played a little bit but I admit it felt a bit ugly and awkward but I will give it another try later.

Morrowind is a bit of an eyesore, given what you can find elsewhere, but it's well worth your time. The possibilities are truly endless in this game, more than in any other I've ever played.

Yes I agree, Morrowind is VERY dated now but that game is so full of epic fucking win!!! Much better than Oblivion to me, and I can see playing it every few yrs till my disc or XBOX breaks. I love Morrowind.

Aside from cliff-racers, the only real issue I had with Morrowind was that the dungeons were waaaaaaaaaaay too short. Oblivion fixed that :rofl: , but overall Morrowind was still better.

#283 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

CLIFF RACERS /rage
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#284 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 March 2011 - 03:09 AM, said:

Yes I agree, Morrowind is VERY dated now but that game is so full of epic fucking win!!! Much better than Oblivion to me, and I can see playing it every few yrs till my disc or XBOX breaks. I love Morrowind.

I disagree. Morrowind may not be the prettiest game around, and the models are somewhat square...but then, I look at Oblivion, and all I see are smoother corners. Have you actually looked at the textures? Even with texture overhauls, they are pixelated something extreme. And the pop-in is chronic. *flat looking grass* move two steps closer *long, weirdly individuated grass appears* wtf?

Sure, the weapons and armour look more like they 'should', but does anyone find the faces that much better? The problem for me is that while Morrowind had 'worse' graphics most of the textures were hardly that - which wasn't a problem. Now, if you look at a house in Oblivion, you can see the pixelated bits in the stones. Look at Morrowind, and though most of the buildings didn't have fancy stone textures on them, they were not pixelated like Oblivion's are.

I dunno, it's just that, with this game, I can go back to it again and again. I hope Skyrim allows me to finally set it aside, but I doubt that. Starting up a new game of Morrowind - TEN YEARS AFTER IT RELEASED - is like going back home for me, or something.

/blatant and unashamed fanboy.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#285 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

Suddenly, piano versions of Morrowind tracks appeared!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#286 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Never having played the game I installed Morrowind along with the Overhaul mod this weekend, but then I got sidetracked by beer and Singularity.I played a little bit but I admit it felt a bit ugly and awkward but I will give it another try later.

Had the Overhauled version installed about a week ago, just getting around to playing it, and it is a massive upgrade. The upgrade is fantastic, and after messing around with the tools, there is so much that is better. Not in terms of the actual gameplay, but the look is crisp, the faces are less retarded, but the render distance is very far and it isn't always foggy. (/beginfanboyism) Getting off the boat in the opening scene was great on the original, it was a stark port in the middle of a swampy area. Getting off the boat in the Overhauled version was just mind blowing in comparison. I cannot describe how awesome it was seeing the familiar area in such a way (/end fanboyism).

I played Morrowind back on my basic Xbox, hated it because I didn't know what to do. Finally had time to emerge myself in it, and loved it. Wasted hours, doing everything! discovering random junk. collecting enchanted stuff, and building my own giant-dead-parasite/tree magic house.

I would start playing the original anytime, even if there were no graphics upgrades. Something about the game is just amazing... might be the levitation now that i think about it.

#287 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

That trailer has me excited.

I liked Oblivion but preferred Morrowind in general. But at least in oblivion the dungeons were a decent size and cliff racers were absent.

#288 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

Sweet sassy molassey!!!

Preview!

I did not think i could get more excited....

http://www.pcgamer.c...skyrim-preview/

And yes Silencer, there is still level scaling, but its not supposed to be as bad or noticable. We'll see.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 21 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#289 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 March 2011 - 07:25 PM, said:

oh hey remember all that difficulty you had with containing your impatience for this game to be released

WELL I JUST MADE IT A SHITTON HARDER BABY

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#290 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 March 2011 - 07:25 PM, said:

Sweet sassy molassey!!!

Preview!

I did not think i could get more excited....

http://www.pcgamer.c...skyrim-preview/

And yes Silencer, there is still level scaling, but its not supposed to be as bad or noticable. We'll see.

Someone hasn't been keeping up with my posts. This stuff was done over on GameInformer weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Yeah, stupid level scaling is still in. They just tweaked it a bit. It might be OK, but I still don't like it. Fallout did it a LOT better than Oblivion, though, I'll give them that.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#291 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Im not as into TES as you all seem to be but the problem with level scaling in Oblivion was mostly the fact that if you had a set character specification with a non combat trait it led you to your death and the character being unplayable. I consistently went a mage but got my alchemy up to the point where the character was untenable. I went the other way with it after a while and put completely useless skills as my skills that would get my level up. My necessary skills as supplementary skills I completely dominated the game as my stats and skills were high yet my level wasnt.

I compltely agree with Silencer, despite never playing Morrowind. Having areas on the game with overpowered beasts at the beginning of the game would be much better. It completely nullified being a thief aswell as there was no way as a novice theif you could steal anything of value. While it was an excellent game inadvertently making large portions of characterisation (anything that wasnt combat based) completely redundant did make it feel more hack and slash than an RPG character build.

#292 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

My opinion doesn't even go into as much depth as that - I just love the feeling of wandering into an unknown area, getting raped by high level monsters, and then training until I can defeat them. Albeit, this feature is much more prevalent in games like MMOs where when you die, you don't have a save to go back to; instead, you may lose some XP or a few items. Still, though...

#293 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

For all of you that loved Morrowind and for those of you who haven't yet played it:

http://morroblivion.com/

It's a port of the entire game of Morrowind INTO Oblivion's engine. That means you get the realism, graphical goodness, and better combat of Oblivion, while the entire storyline and world of Morrowind is still preserved. I haven't installed it yet, because it looks to be somewhat time consuming to do, but I am definitely going to soon.

Source of my info about this: http://www.reddit.co...morrowind_into/

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 25 March 2011 - 02:04 AM

#294 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 25 March 2011 - 02:02 AM, said:

For all of you that loved Morrowind and for those of you who haven't yet played it:

http://morroblivion.com/

It's a port of the entire game of Morrowind INTO Oblivion's engine. That means you get the realism, graphical goodness, and better combat of Oblivion, while the entire storyline and world of Morrowind is still preserved. I haven't installed it yet, because it looks to be somewhat time consuming to do, but I am definitely going to soon.

Source of my info about this: http://www.reddit.co...morrowind_into/

Posted Image

...think I might stick to fully graphically-upgraded Morrowind with the Morrowind Graphics Extender (Example 1, 2, 3, 4). I honestly think it looks far more beautiful than Oblivion; to me, the latter's flat art style quashed any advantage the superior technology gave it. I'm kind of morbidly curious to see how much painful scrolling Morrowind's huge dialogues will take in the Oblivion engine, though.

I spent a ludicrous amount of time and love on Morrowind over the years, and came out with my own massive quest mods to give something back to the community. Oblivion just didn't do it for me, I really can't think of anything it did better. I'm one of those hated RPGCodex members, though.
Skyrim looks like it might be a fun open-world action game, which is all I'm really hoping for at this point. It does sound like it'll at least be a good bit better than Oblivion, but I have enough of a backlog of games that it's not really a priority to play any time in the next couple of years.

Just as a side note, anyone mentioned the Moon's Spawn mod for Morrowind? That was my introduction to the Malazan series :)

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 06 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

#295 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 06 April 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

I really can't think of anything it did better.

Stealth.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#296 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

A glimpse at some races and how they look, as well as a bit of info on skyrim skill levelling. A couple days old.

http://www.rockpaper.../skyrim-skills/

Finally a cat face that doesn't look completely ridiculous.

This post has been edited by Trull's son: 22 April 2011 - 05:11 AM

#297 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

I am a bit... worried about some of the stuff. No more birthsigns, less skills, less attributes - they're toying with what TES is, I guess. Let's hope they do manage to avoid making character development shallow with that perk tree.

#298 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:37 AM

View PostGothos, on 22 April 2011 - 06:10 AM, said:

I am a bit... worried about some of the stuff. No more birthsigns, less skills, less attributes - they're toying with what TES is, I guess. Let's hope they do manage to avoid making character development shallow with that perk tree.

I'm not concerned about Mysticism going - that was redundant, and useless once Mark and Recall etc were removed...as Todd put it, "It was kind of like the 'Magic school of magic', which is silly in retrospect". Acrobatics, I think, is going, which I found to be strange as it was a rather interesting skill to take for assassins - what with all the talk of better animations, surely they could have done something with this to include 'dodging' or more variety for stealth character's movements. Athletics is out, which kind of makes sense....except they just added sprinting, which I would have thought would make that skill useful. But I guess I saw that one coming when fatigue was no longer impacted by movement, and barely impacted by combat/didn't have an effect on combat in return. I can live without those two, though. Especially as they do appear to be adding in other things to do than combat/quests - crafting, jobs, etc. Even so, this is the stupid streamlining (which I personally think of as dumbing down) that they took up from Daggerfall, in a minor way in Morrowind, and a major way in Oblivion. I get it, it makes sense, but seriously...don't cut skills if there's an obvious way to make them useful. Especially not when you are adding in things already WHICH HAVE A LOGICAL CONNECTION TO THOSE SKILLS.

Birthsigns, I'm kinda annoyed about. I get the free-form, less restricted decision aspect for Skyrim, but a birthsign was a great way to identify your character and get them started down a path. Sure, I only used one or two of the things, EVER, depending on what type of character I was going for, but I know other people like different ones, and experimenting with them was cool. Again, make them more interesting before you scrap them. I assume Bethsoft did this, but...

And attributes. Holy fucking hell, what has Bethesda done? I'm sorry, this post is becoming incredibly negative before the game has even released (again, don't get me wrong, I AM SUPER FREAKING EXCITE@!!!! for this game), but god dammit I can't help myself when I see things going down a dark path...
Anyway, why on earth are they removing a CORNERSTONE OF WHAT MAKES IT A ROLE PLAYING GAME. I'm all for stat-free RPG'ing (if such a thing can be effectively modeled, which so far it cannot), but attributes were IMPORTANT. They defined your character's progress. PROGRESS. You know, as in, PROGRESSION. That thing you need in a game? Skills are obviously taking the forefront, but dammit if they aren't belittling the statistics in favour of perks and shiny. I would LOVE to say they're doing it because the 'story' or the 'adventures' are more important to your role playing experience, and this is the only thing that's holding me back from seriously letting rip on the subject, but I'm just seeing another damn Oblivion game, as TES slides closer and closer to 'action' instead of 'RPG'. IF they can pull off the story, the interactions, the combat, the effects, interesting quests, complicated plots, unique areas/dungeons, less generic armour and loot, and bring you closer to your character and the world through those things (like very few games can), I will be happy. But until they do, taking away the stats, attributes, and other character-defining features is NOT a good move. It's a nice IDEA but unless they can get the implementation 100% right it just doesn't work in a game you're calling an RPG. Not even a self-proclaimed 'action-RPG' that has a history of dumbing itself down each iteration. I seriously hope Bethesda realise that they hit the sweet spot for story/guilds/unique back in Morrowind, and have accordingly fixed up the other things which drove people away from the game, and we're left with a true god-tier experience, but at this point I'm not sure I can hold to that faith. :)

Ugh. Preemptive ranting. Fuck my life.

On a more positive note....
SKYRIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shinrei said:

#299 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

All I see from Bethesda is a continuous, concerted, watering down of the franchise for the console-shmuck market.

And I am disappoint.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#300 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

I just have "it might be a decent action game, it might be a decent action game" as my mantra whenever I see new information on it. Even if half of the nonsense they've announced for it would be dumb even in a pure action game. I didn't think it was possible (or in any way necessary) to make an action-RPG more simplified than Oblivion, but life is full of surprises.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users