• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1321 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Personally I'm not a fan of mixing settings more than with character names.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1322 User is offline   Cayhn 

• Recruit

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostGothos, on 12 March 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Personally I'm not a fan of mixing settings more than with character names.

You probably have a point. But since we'll never see a Malazan MMO the addict in me makes up excuses to accept any mix. Almost.

#1323 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

An EU4 mod might be cool :)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1324 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

So this interests me. Thought i'd link it, sorry if its been linked before?

Its called skywind and is a project attempting to remake Morrowind with the Skyrim Engine. {bit long}

I am impressed, a similar project exists with a Oblivian and Morrowind GotY merge. I cant play Morrowind as it is, and believe me I've tried. I can't handle the graphics for some reason, same reason I cant finish my Halflife or Portal 1 playthroughs. Oblivion and skyrim level games have ruined it for me I guess.

I always enjoyed the depth of the elder scrolls world. I'd like to get my hands on this if and when its finished. I feel like I really missed out on the morrowind saga!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#1325 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

Get the Morrowind graphics extender.

Also, Skywind is in breach of Bethesda's EULA, so by rights it is an "illegal" mod. They are directly porting assets from the previous games, so it's banned from discussions on the official forums and Steam. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1326 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:47 AM

Norton360 is -> that way!

#1327 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Posted Image

#1328 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Meh. If the actual game is anything close to the beta, then that's a pretty shitty Skyrim game they've been waiting for. I'm sure many will love it, but I found that the game tried to straddle the divide between single player RPG and MMO and didn't do a very good job.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#1329 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

'The Elder Scrolls Online' Hit With First Major Bug, The Infinite Dupe

#1330 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

"First major bug"? Oh, right, the game itself technically doesn't count, I guess. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1331 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostJakovasaurus, on 19 April 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

Except they banned a shit-ton of people over it, even people who were buying duped items without knowing it.

Also, there is nothing in the game that was 'relatively worthless' since the vast majority of people who were doing the dupe were doing it with motifs and selling them for 30k+. Price hasn't changed since the first people were hitting Veteran.

PPS -> There is no evidence that anyone reported this during the beta; there was nothing on the Reddit about anyone finding a dupe bug, even during the last 3 'open-ish' beta weekends or pre access or anything else.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1332 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

ESO is a shit brick. Don't play it.

Let's wait for TES6!

#1333 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:06 AM

Lore wise it's an abomination before Talos. Now that it's not charging a subscription though, it might be ok to try for a while but I don't recommend it.

Shinrei said:

#1334 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:57 AM

ESO is awful. It's an MMO that doesn't do MMO stuff anywhere near as well as other games in the genre, and it has none of the stuff that makes single player Elder Scrolls games great.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#1335 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

I really gotta tidy up my house in Skyrim, it's a bloody bomb site. Even got corpses lying around lol

What sorta fighter do you guys use? I tend to always dual wield swords or other one handed melee weapons, but gonna try out some other ways just for something to do.

Spell sword or even a shield in one hand, magic in the other.

#1336 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

*bump

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#1337 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

You need to buff up on your media litteracy if you think that quote is anything but pr fluff.

Todd Howard's promises are worth less than a cows farts and smell very similar.

It's also not a surprising statement though. Bethesda wants to repeat the success of Skyrim. Well, no shit. Anything less and their fanbase will flip their shit.

#1338 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:45 AM

View PostAptorian, on 08 June 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

You need to buff up on your media litteracy if you think that quote is anything but pr fluff.

Todd Howard's promises are worth less than a cows farts and smell very similar.

It's also not a surprising statement though. Bethesda wants to repeat the success of Skyrim. Well, no shit. Anything less and their fanbase will flip their shit.

I think it's more concerning than that, though. This is the same statement made by so many "live service" model games of late. What I hear when Todd Howard says something like that, is "expect ES6 to be like F76", more than anything. Hope I'm wrong, but usually when a company claims they want a game to last a decade it's not because of it's size, scale, or scope - but because of it's aggressively compelling pointless gameplay loops and lack of actual content.

Granted, Elder Scrolls games have a history of sustaining themselves for a long time off the back of modding efforts and, at least for Skyrim, re-releasing on every console ever, so it's less immediately concerning coming from Bethesda than other studios - but still reflexively sets off alarm bells in my head. Especially after F76 and their apparent lack of understanding about how badly they fucked that up.

Shinrei said:

#1339 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:05 PM

To be honest, I'm not holding my breath for this one, not after Fallout 4 and Fail76. At the very least, maybe by the time it releases, the Province Collaboration society will be more or less finish with their thing :D

#1340 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:56 AM

Had attempt number 5 or 6 now at Skyrim on the PC because the boy has gotten into it on the Xbox 360 (yeah, we are waiting in vain for Series X to become generally available in Australia ... :p ) and ... the controls still suck. Using your mouse to turn left and right is far too slow, requires way too many swipes - even when I've upped the sensitivity - and means I can't run and turn fast enough in or out of combat. Turning 180 degrees should be one half-swipe or so in either direction, not 5 swipes.

Will go back if they release a version that means I can change all controls to whatever the hell I want. Mouse is for menu, special powers and targetting. :p

I like the look, I like the ideas, not so fussed on menu after menu for using powers (should be able to put on screen icons like SWTOR or hotkeys but as an old bastard I can't find how to do that bit if it exists), love the fluff text/lore/characters/etc. Just can't get over the stupid movement and the inability to fix it. I read somewhere this was a legacy of being a half-arsed port to PC from console.

Maybe ES VI will solve this? If it does maybe I'll have another crack.

Such a shame though, I really did want to play and did try a few times. But something as fundamental as that isn't easily gotten over.

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone here knows of any fantasy single player or MMORPGs that use a similar interface/controls to SWTOR?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 06 September 2021 - 12:07 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users