• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1181 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I have jumped down the rabbit hole and finally after some 18 months begun playing Skyrim.

Oh it's going to get bad I can feel it. That same obsessive mentality that I cultivated while playing Oblivion is rearing its ugly head again. I can't stop stealing things. And by stealing things I don't mean some money and the silver ware. I am stealing EVERYTHING! I can't help it.

It sort of reared its ugle head when I played Fallout New Vegas a couple months ago and was hauling tons of material out of the ruins of dead cities and selling it on the border, but I cut it short when I derailed the entire game by travelling to the island Cesar was on and just butchered the entire Legion in one 10 minute bloodbath.

Most of the houses in Whiterun no longer have any cups, plates, vegetables or books. Farmhands have begun hiring thugs to come beat me up because they just know it was me that stole everything they owned that wasn't bolted to the floor. The shop owners must surely be getting suspicious when I am selling them stuff that was sitting on the counter right in front of them just ten seconds ago. But it's not enough. It'll probably never be enough. I wonder how far I am going to take it this time. I never finished Oblivion because I refused to progess the story because I knew it would close the Oblivion gates and I didn't want that because I wanted to raid and pillage every Oblivion stronghold first. Keep in mind this meant that, even with a modified weight capacity of some 10 tonnes, I still had to do multiple runs to each gate. By the time I gave up I had stolen every single object in the capital city. EVERYTHING. And I had begun to strike the nearest villages and cities. At the end I had some 2 or 3 million gold.

It probably helps that I haven't fiddled with my weight capicity this time. I am actually leaving behind weapons and armor in dungeons now.

#1182 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

1. Pickpocket has a perk that gives you 100 more capacity at a pretty low level
2. Do enough of the main quest to get to the tower to the west of Whiterun for more dragon-related loot
3. Pickpocket lets you steal equipped items (like armour and weapons) at 100 and is piss easy to level
4. While the actual story part of the Thieves Guild is purified ass, they have repeatable quests which are literally 'steal X gold's worth of stuff from this city'
5. Seriously Pickpocket actually owns bones

Also I just got Dragonborn so I decided to finish off Dawnguard. Ehhhhhhhhhhh. Cool locations and the odd lore bits in it though. Dragonborn, on the other hand? Aside from the Dunmer voices it is amazing and I haven't even left Raven Rock yet.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1183 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 22 May 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

2. Do enough of the main quest to get to the tower to the west of Whiterun for more dragon-related loot
3. Pickpocket lets you steal equipped items (like armour and weapons) at 100 and is piss easy to level
4. While the actual story part of the Thieves Guild is purified ass, they have repeatable quests which are literally 'steal X gold's worth of stuff from this city'

Also I just got Dragonborn so I decided to finish off Dawnguard. Ehhhhhhhhhhh. Cool locations and the odd lore bits in it though. Dragonborn, on the other hand? Aside from the Dunmer voices it is amazing and I haven't even left Raven Rock yet.

Youre an enabler of Apts klepto side.

Also pickpocketing is really that good? Iver never sunk perks or any time into it.

Alchemy, while not quite the absolute tank it was on Oblivion where one ingredient was one potion when mastered is still the best money maker I think. Making potions worth well over a grand by the hundred and everywhere has an alchemy shop.

#1184 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Here's the bizarre thing. I think that pick pocketing people is wrong. Taking things that they leave around their house is okay because if they didn't want me to take it they should have put a better lock on the door or put a guard in every room. But taking things off people is just not right. Mmmmkay?

But that pickpocket perk does sound interesting. Morals vs greed. Hmmm. I just feel that if I start pickpocketing people I might as well just start killing them and just loot their corpse and I mean shit, that's a pretty dark path to begin on. A month later and I will have killed every NPC in Skyrim.

EDIT: In other news I just got the "summoning" from the Grey Beards where they shout DOVAKIIN over the mountains. Holy shit that was a magical gaming moment. The whole world seemed to shake. Thunder rolled across the heavens. I was in the middle of a field when I heard the shout and I was looking in every direction wondering where the hell that came from. I think my character probably shat himself.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 22 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

#1185 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Oh, and while fast travel exists, if you want to get to the holds faster the carts outside each city will take you there without you having to visit it first for a small fee.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1186 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

I actually banned myself from using those on one playthrough and while it took a bloody long while, it was kind of really fun to go what TES is all about - exploration.

But hey, that's like silt striders, right...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1187 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

If I remember correctly, The Thieves Guild quests require that you place some points on the pickpocket skill tree. If you don't, then completing some of the quests is almost impossible.

#1188 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Posted Image
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1189 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 22 May 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

I FUCKING LOVE PICKPOCKETING!!!

Seriously, standing in front of someone and just taking their shit while they talk to you is hilarious.

As for Apt's tendency to just take shit out of people's houses, yeah. Yeah. I have that too.
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#1190 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostHigh House Dark, on 23 May 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

As for Apt's tendency to just take shit out of people's houses, yeah. Yeah. I have that too.

Me three.
I was quite annoyed when they made standard small items like cutlery in Oblivion unable to be sold for anything. And I still remember being amused at just how long it took to scroll through the inventory of the shopkeeper in..Seyda Neen (? The town with your Blades contact in Morrowind) after I had stripped the whole town bare :p
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#1191 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

I never got into stealing random items in Oblivion or Skyrim. While I loved stealing neat little odds and ends to decorate a house in Morrowind, the physics in the more recent games are disastrous. The one time I really tried to set everything up perfectly within my Skyrim house, it looked like an atomic bomb had went off when I'd returned. God forbid you accidentally nudge the cheese into the fruit bowl. Utensils will fly across the room and all of your nice table work will be undone. Then you try to set things up again, and the for accidentally bumps a mug and everything on the entire table decides to jump up into the air.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#1192 User is offline   High House Dark 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostDefiance, on 24 May 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

I never got into stealing random items in Oblivion or Skyrim. While I loved stealing neat little odds and ends to decorate a house in Morrowind, the physics in the more recent games are disastrous. The one time I really tried to set everything up perfectly within my Skyrim house, it looked like an atomic bomb had went off when I'd returned. God forbid you accidentally nudge the cheese into the fruit bowl. Utensils will fly across the room and all of your nice table work will be undone. Then you try to set things up again, and the for accidentally bumps a mug and everything on the entire table decides to jump up into the air.

Heeeheee THIS.

EDIT: Seriously, it's teh best webcomic in the world.

This post has been edited by High House Dark: 24 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#1193 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

Defiance said:

1369358113[/url]' post='1057285']

I especially like taking the damn time to put all your swords, knives and bows in cases, leave and come back and hey, they're all on THE FUCKING FLOOR,
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1194 User is offline   High House Dark 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

On a totally different note.....My first character was an archer, and so I usually ran around using first-person view, and once I had the hardest time killing this dragon, and I was thinking, "wtf, I've never had this much difficulty!!??" Then I zoomed out later and saw I hadn't put my armor back on after switching some gear around and selling stuff and I realized I had been battling the dragon naked.

:|

Lesson of the day: Don't be easily distracted and remember to put your clothes on.

#1195 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 May 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Y'all need y'all's hands chopped off in game...

Justice TES style.

Pff, you say that like anyone who caught me in the act was actually capable of arresting me. Oh hey, a guard is running towards me, cool *leaps onto roof in one jump and waves at guard before disappearing into the night*
Goddamn, I miss acrobatics and athletics :p
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#1196 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Oh man, I miss Slowfall. What's that, one point of it on anything instantly reduces all falling damage to zero? And I have how many Scrolls of Icarian Flight? Tasty!

Slowfall, for when Become Ethereal is too much effort to select.

#1197 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hey I haven't played any Elder Scrolls game but kind of want to get Skyrim cos it looks great. Do I need to have played any of the others first?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1198 User is offline   High House Dark 

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 May 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Hey I haven't played any Elder Scrolls game but kind of want to get Skyrim cos it looks great. Do I need to have played any of the others first?

I didn't and I really enjoy it. BUT, I do think there is something to be said for context and appreciating things when having past games under your belt? Meh, either way, as someone who had never played the other parts, I really love Skyrim.

#1199 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Not really. If you had played the earlier games I am sure that you would get a lot more appreciation out of seeing a new part of the world, hearing old names and seeing how Tamriel is faring 200 years after the Oblivion crisis in the last game, but what ever information you might be missing is supplied via books scattered around the world and through NPC dialogue.

What is really important about the Elder Scrolls games is the world building and sandbox adventures in my opinion and Skyrim is the pennicale of this series. I am sure Silencer or Illy is going to come in and tell you that Daggerfall or Morowind was were it was at but those games are for old fans who's playing the games via rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

Play Skyrim like it's a stand alone game and you will be blown away by what this game has to offer.

I am about 40-50 hours into the game now and I continue to marvel at the depth of the world they've built.

#1200 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostAptorius, on 27 May 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Not really. If you had played the earlier games I am sure that you would get a lot more appreciation out of seeing a new part of the world, hearing old names and seeing how Tamriel is faring 200 years after the Oblivion crisis in the last game, but what ever information you might be missing is supplied via books scattered around the world and through NPC dialogue.

What is really important about the Elder Scrolls games is the world building and sandbox adventures in my opinion and Skyrim is the pennicale of this series. I am sure Silencer or Illy is going to come in and tell you that Daggerfall or Morowind was were it was at but those games are for old fans who's playing the games via rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

Play Skyrim like it's a stand alone game and you will be blown away by what this game has to offer.

I am about 40-50 hours into the game now and I continue to marvel at the depth of the world they've built.

But Morrowind is better, you filthy heathen.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users