• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#201 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:57 AM

Fair enough, and I agree with you. I threw in Oblivion earlier just to try and remember what we are talking about and I see what you mean. The attack and defend was awful, as were the faces. They were bad even when the game released imo, but it is something you have to get used to. Hopefully, they manage to get some actual faces and better animations on this redo.

I definitely don't think they should be cutting down aspects of the game in order to make it graphically appealing though. I love a good looking game as much as everyone else, but it goes back to the argument of gameplay v. graphics, and I will always choose gameplay. I know the world of TES:V will look stunning, but beyond that I can live with the old style of face and animations as long as they keep the RPG elements they had in Oblivion or add more like in Morrowind (so I hear anyway- I figured I couldn't play Morrowind on the original xbox due to some odd hardware problem, which is a shame. With the 360, Oblivion/Fallout were easy to run).

#202 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:19 AM

Yup, as I say, I wouldn't care except they seem to continually cut back on features to have the eye-candy.

But who knows, maybe they finally listened to the ravening horde on their forums, lol.

And you're really missing out in regards to Morrowind - it may not look like much now, but dayum was it a superior game to Oblivion. I remember, I first got it as the GotY edition, and my laptop kept crashing. Either on the Silt Strider from Seyda Neen (opening town) to Balmora (first port of call...if you wanted to follow instructions) or at random points when it tried to load a new cell. I had to walk the whole way between them as a level one character, with no real map to go by (this is before stupid quest-compasses became the norm...) and keep saving the whole way along to get there without losing all my progress.

It could have put me off the game, but the world was so damn intriguing I kept playing. Eventually I got it working (on a different computer) and spent well in excess of a year playing that game to the max. It took over my computer for a year. Literally didn't play anything else.

Since then, I've purchased two more copies on PC (replaced broken disc, replaced the replacement because I thought I'd lost it) and one copy on Xbox which I inherited from an uncle. (Same uncle who introduced me to MBotF, incidentally...take that as you will, lol) and still play it every so often.

I remember seeing it in one of those retrospective articles a year or so before Oblivion released, and thinking how it STILL looked good. How the sight of an Ordinator was STILL impressive, and it was like being sucked back into that world was a mere moment away...but that could just be the nostalgia talking. I am a shameless Morrowind fanboy, after all. :)

(Side note, I also have...1 limited ed copy of Oblivion on Xbox, one...obtained copy of it on PC and one GotY copy of it on PC...so it's not just a Morrowind thing, lol...)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#203 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

And here goes silencer on another morrowind rant.

*scrolls down. * :)

I am excited for Oblivion V.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#204 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 25 November 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

/slap

:D

People keep posting things that demand my response! I can't help it! XD

But yes, looking forward to TES:V, and if Bethesda doesn't announce it this time, but announces some other project they've been working on that is not similar/a replacement, I will be so, so rage....

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#205 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:25 AM

View PostSilencer, on 25 November 2010 - 10:12 PM, said:

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 25 November 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

/slap

:D

People keep posting things that demand my response! I can't help it! XD

But yes, looking forward to TES:V, and if Bethesda doesn't announce it this time, but announces some other project they've been working on that is not similar/a replacement, I will be so, so rage....

So will so many other people. I think they know better.

#206 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

I would totally rage, yes. Gieb another TES already!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#207 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

Yes, hopefully they will have improved things. One of my biggest problems was the fact that your character could do everything. You could spend ages creating a character suitable for a specific skill mix, and then go and follow whichever guild you wanted to, to the point that you could be head of several of them simultaneously.

Also, being able to work through the Mages guild while running Thief missions that involve stealing from the Mages guild..well, I think once you choose a path, certain other options should just disappear. And dare i say it, have the NPC's react to you depending on you're actions and character type, like FO3 or Fable. I also don't see why guild missions should follow a linear path that leads to being head of that guild. I quite like anonymity in games, playing characters that don't necessarily end up as the 'chosen one' that has to save the world (which is one of the only things that bugged me about Morrowwind, apart from the 'go find this object/person 100 miles away on foot and bring it back here' missions).

I find being able to create a character, work for a guild, go exploring and carry out quests for personal gain more satisfying than following set 'main' stories. Imagine starting in ES's as a pauper and managing to get your own property, which you could then adapt according to your character - mages tower, assassins lair etc. Quests and wealth could go towards upgrades, and experience towards bigger and tougher quests. The free roam in Red Dead Redemption was just awesome; the hunting was one of the best elements of the game, and there was little reward in most cases, it was just damn fun. And it wasn't an RPG.

I guess I just found Oblivion a bit restricting - I'd like even more freedom to develop a character that changes through the game in ways that aren't just measured in terms of lists of numbers that ultimately don't change the gameplay. (Imagine that after hours of quests, you've got a large house on the outskirts of a town, with fortifications to keep out your enemies (depending on your alignment) but certain people come to you with missions appropriate to your character. I liked the Assassins Creed 2 town that improved as you progressed - if you could choose a property and upgrade it you would get a whole load of new missions to do, that aren't the same old quests. Again, in Red Dead, coralling stampeding cattle in a thunderstorm was way better than ' go find me an object that has been broken into 3 bits and scattered about' type thing.

That's probably enough for now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#208 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

Agree traveler.

Basically oblivion with a heavy dose of the quest and reputation system from Fallout would make an incredible game.

But the reputation not only dictating which quests and allies you can work with, but affecting which characters approach you. Like if you build up a rep for being an asshole, then you get approached with "kill this guy" quests more often than "save my daughter from the monsters" quests.

Have not played Red Dead yet, but I think I will pick it up for the winter.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#209 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:20 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 26 November 2010 - 12:35 PM, said:

Agree traveler.

Basically oblivion with a heavy dose of the quest and reputation system from Fallout would make an incredible game.

But the reputation not only dictating which quests and allies you can work with, but affecting which characters approach you. Like if you build up a rep for being an asshole, then you get approached with "kill this guy" quests more often than "save my daughter from the monsters" quests.

Have not played Red Dead yet, but I think I will pick it up for the winter.

No no, that's still oversimplifying it. I don't want to approached with "save my daughter" quests because I'm a nice guy - if I've been going around doing similar quests, then yes, but just because I'm polite and take the non-confrontational approach in speech shouldn't mean that I'm treated like a saint. :)

But yes, I agree...which is basically like saying "Make it more like Morrowind, only updated!". XD

Shinrei said:

#210 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

Opinion, validated:

Todd Howard: There's always stuff to improve. If I had to take a step back, I think our worlds are very good, I think we're on the cutting edge as far as that goes. When it comes to the characters and the animation, I think there are other people who do it much, much better. That's something we've put a lot of time into - not just technology but people and talent, and how long we spend doing individual elements.

How other characters behave and look on the screen is the next thing people need to do better. There are people doing it really well, but by and large the environments look good and it's just getting people to behave in those environments better.

Source: Link

It's an older interview, but I stumbled across it and was glad that he recognizes the weaknesses of past games. :)

Shinrei said:

#211 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

my fav oblivion memory is fight ogres on a mountain pass somewhere, I had completed the assasin quests and gained that special vamp horse, as im fighting the horse runs in and starts attacking the ogres. one ogre gives it a huge thump and all u can see is my horse flying off the cliff and cartwheeling down a few thousand feet...so beautiful i laughed for days...

.never did find my horse afterwards tho....
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#212 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:06 AM

It has been announced, TES V: Skyrim. November 11, 2011!

Can't wait.

This post has been edited by Stalker: 12 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

#213 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Wow. A year? A whole year? (Well, nearly)

That's...actually far longer than I was hoping for. "Shortest turnaround from announcement to release so far" kinda got my hopes up, I have to say. I mean, it's great because November is when my exams finish, and will therefore be able to play, as opposed to middle of the semester or something, but...gah.

Hoping for more info soon. :)

Shinrei said:

#214 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

Well, in 3 months we'll have a new thread up about it, and then hopefully they'll expedite the process....
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#215 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

View PostSilencer, on 12 December 2010 - 08:35 AM, said:

Wow. A year? A whole year? (Well, nearly)

That's...actually far longer than I was hoping for. "Shortest turnaround from announcement to release so far" kinda got my hopes up, I have to say. I mean, it's great because November is when my exams finish, and will therefore be able to play, as opposed to middle of the semester or something, but...gah.

Hoping for more info soon. :)

Mass Effect 3 is set for November 1st, so you'll have 10 days to finish ME3 and then on to Skyrim.

#216 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Skyrim is the continent I wanted to see most. If it's anything like Solstheim the atmopshere should be incredible.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#217 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

@Silencer- yeah, shortest turnaround had me hoping June. This annoucement is much further away than I thought, but I won't complain.

and I can totally finish ME3 in under 10 days. I did, easily, on ME2 because I was racing someone to see who would complete it first, and I won. It doesn't even matter than november is right before the end of the semester and finals, since all my classes will be pass/no pass that semester haha. That is the benefit of completing major/minor fast.

#218 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:03 AM

Wait, this has already been announced? And we're going to Skyrim!? :)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#219 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

AND they were finally making (or buying) a new engine to replace the dead horse they've been beating the past 5 years.

#220 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

YES! SKYRIM! NOT SISSY ELF ISLAND! YAHOOOOO!

But, of course, Mass Effect 3 will take priority.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users