• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#8281 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

Magnificent 7. There are some serious weaknesses to this movie, and the pg13 effect is strong. However, the actors were great, and I had lots of fun from start to finish. Afterwards we had beer and talked about all the fun stuff we saw. Chris Pratt is seriously brilliant at balancing on the edge of funny and deadly serious.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 03 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8282 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Just watched Hunt for the Wilder People.

I knew from the trailer I was probably going to love the film based on the humor and the story didn't disappoint. Really fun and straightforward film about the relationship between a fat little trouble maker and a grumpy old man.

Both the kid actor and Sam Neil did a terrific job in this film.

This post has been edited by Apt: 03 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

#8283 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

Just watched dirty rotten scoundrels.
I had sort of seen a few bits of it here and there so I knew the punchline for the whole film.
But still an entertaining show, the kind of film that wouldn't get made now as it has no nudity or cursing it, so people wouldn't understand it's a comedy.
Back when Steve was still funny and Michael Caine was between his shouty youth and softly spoken old man.

#8284 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn.

I knew nothing what so ever about this going in, basically saw it one Netflix and realised it must have been one of Williams last lead roles so I figured I'd watch it.

Glad I did, not a screaming in your seat laughing comedy, it was better due to the emotional side of it.
There were some fucking hilarious moments in it. James Earl Jones 2 minutes had me in actual tears laughing.
Mila Kunis turns in a great performance as the doctor, but Williams is excellent, on both the angry front and the emotional side as well. Not remotely embarrassed to say I was totally choked up near the end.

#8285 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

13th, the documentary on mass incarceration & the 13th Amendment's slavery exception from Ava DuVernay. The only real criticism I've heard about it is that it tries to do too much in just 100 minutes. And I suppose that's true, since it covers a lot of ground, and it's more like an essay than a Ken Burns-sized textbook. But ultimately it's consistently affecting, consistently effective, consistently on target in its arguments, and undeniably draws the through-line from start to finish. Blistering indictment of everyone involved in the industry of exploiting black lives and black labor.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8286 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2 teaser!

WOOT!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8287 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:18 AM

QuickTidal, you were right all along! http://variety.com/2...ult-1201885262/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8288 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

huh! That's crazy news. Can't say I'm at all surprised. Shitbag blogger turns out to be abusive shitbag human irl? Yup, that fits.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8289 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

The Great Wall looks spectacularly awful

#8290 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 October 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2 teaser!

WOOT!

Hmmm ... the first one was so ... perfect in it's, ah, singularity (?) that I confess to trepidation at the appearance of another one. I believe when a sequel was first mooted I wasn't sold on the concept.

I truly hope they went through a lot of drafts and ideas before finding one that was worthy of making. And not just another quick cash-in-while-it's-still-hot piece of shit sequel.

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 12 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8291 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hollywood rush a project through to cash in on something?
no way!

#8292 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 October 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

The Great Wall looks spectacularly awful

I dunno, it looks like the other Zhang Yimou films I've seen, which are HOUSE OF THE FLYING DAGGERS and HERO....very similar in style and tone. I liked those both a lot.

Also, I like the precedent it sets, a huge epic Chinese fantasy movie (apparently largest budget ever given a Co US/Chinese production), steeped in that culture with a mostly Chinese (but also international) cast, directed by one of the better directors of this type of fare, filled with big names from all sides of the pond (Matt Damon, Andy Lau, Pedro Pascal, Jing Tian, Willem Dafoe), written by Max Brooks and Ed Zwick (a monster movie guy and a period piece guy!)...and it's a movie about big, fast monsters attacking the Great Wall. I mean, that's KIND of awesome if one embraces the total goofiness of that plot.

I'll be there to see it if I can. But then, I've always like Chinese fantasy epics over the years, so this is up my alley already.

#8293 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 October 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

huh! That's crazy news. Can't say I'm at all surprised. Shitbag blogger turns out to be abusive shitbag human irl? Yup, that fits.

I remember you saying that you would never ever support him, then a bit later wandered over to his Twitter feed to see what he was like. After an hour, I thought he was one of the worst people I'd ever seen online. It made me look at people who called him a friend or worked with him differently.

I'm furious that we live in a world where this woman had to wait years and try several times to get him to fess up in a place where others held him accountable. He doesn't get to come back from this for me any time in the next decade plus. I'm going to purposely not read or deal with him and his projects.

That being said, I think people/we need to take better looks at how terribly people behave online even outside work. Hypocrisy continuously and harassing/assaulting people are a serious matter and should affect jobs.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8294 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostCaptain Needa, on 12 October 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

I truly hope they went through a lot of drafts and ideas before finding one that was worthy of making. And not just another quick cash-in-while-it's-still-hot piece of shit sequel.

Yeah, this is going to be a wait for netflix one. I enjoyed the original, but it didn't feel like a franchise launch, it felt like a fun one off.

In fact, being a non franchise in a sea of over-generic blah is part of what made it fun. I will assume any follow up is crap until proven otherwise.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#8295 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

View Postamphibian, on 12 October 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 October 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

I remember you saying that you would never ever support him, then a bit later wandered over to his Twitter feed to see what he was like. After an hour, I thought he was one of the worst people I'd ever seen online. It made me look at people who called him a friend or worked with him differently.

I'm furious that we live in a world where this woman had to wait years and try several times to get him to fess up in a place where others held him accountable. He doesn't get to come back from this for me any time in the next decade plus. I'm going to purposely not read or deal with him and his projects.

That being said, I think people/we need to take better looks at how terribly people behave online even outside work. Hypocrisy continuously and harassing/assaulting people are a serious matter and should affect jobs.

Yep, wholeheartedly agree.

#8296 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 17 October 2016 - 05:42 AM, said:

Watched Straight out of Compton minus about 11 mins of the start. That's one hell of a movie filled to the brim of nostalgia. I shook so many houses with my 15's to that shit.

Still haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I want to as I lived through that era so it will be interesting to see the focused story about it.

#8297 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

just watched Beauty and the Beast for the first time with my 8 month old girl. The song she loved the most was Gaston! This film is so good. I love my Disney films.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#8298 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 October 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

Watched Straight out of Compton minus about 11 mins of the start. That's one hell of a movie filled to the brim of nostalgia. I shook so many houses with my 15's to that shit.

Still haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I want to as I lived through that era so it will be interesting to see the focused story about it.

It's a well-made film, with good performances by the young leads, but definitely sugar-coated in its history retelling. The one who comes out worst (in terms of being a success or failure, as well as just as a person) is Eazy-E, who is dead and therefore couldn't influence the making of the film in any way. Well, him and Suge Knight.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 17 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#8299 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 17 October 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 October 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

It's a well-made film, with good performances by the young leads, but definitely sugar-coated in its history retelling. The one who comes out worst (in terms of being a success or failure, as well as just as a person) is Eazy-E, who is dead and therefore couldn't influence the making of the film in any way. Well, him and Suge Knight.

I know they apparently tended to veer away from some of Dr. Dre's more nefarious (yet still very well known) offences with regards to the women in his circle...which feels disingenuous for a docudrama/biopic...I mean if it was years ago and you learned your lesson, let it be on screen.

#8300 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

Saw NEIGHBOURS 2: SORORITY RISING...and it was okay. Not really even close to how funny the first film was...but they hit a few beats that are funny. I think part of the problem stems from the fact that the main girls trying to start the sorority are earnest in their desires (to be able to party like males without being deemed slutty [in the film it's even pointed out that school charter disallows them from partying at all, while fraternities are more than allowed], to be able to function as a sorority without the co-need to be accepted by mostly misogynistic fraternities that exist only to disparage young women at their parties)...so you've already basically set up the opposing force in your film as sympathetic from the outset....so whereas it was easy to pick sides in there first film as most of the male fraternity in the first film ARE pretty much assholes who party and prank and screw anyone over who gets in their way (until the end anyways)...the girls in film 2 are set up as partying girls with a solid and altruistic goal of being treated on the same level as the men at their school and not just as sexual objects who shouldn't party lest they be seen as slutty. A lot of the same jokes are re-created including the airbag ones (though I'll admit to laughing at it still....pratfall humour still makes me laugh), and the idea of having Zac Efron (and the rest of his old Frat) come in to help combat the new threat seemed decent in the trailers (especially since the last film ended with him finishing Uni but working as a model at Abercrombie for lack of prospects while his buddies go off into careers)...but it actually starts off with him HELPING the girls and only turning on them when they feel his "old man" ways are cramping their style. And it STILL ends with Efron's character being aimless. I felt like Rogen's character worked a typical enough office job that they might work in getting Efron's character into an entry level admin job at his office to give his arc some closure...but they don't...and it's left weirdly hanging.

Also checked out the DC animated film JUSTICE LEAGUE: THRONE OF ATLANTIS and found it to be solid throughout...though with Rebirth now happening in the comics and DC setting their New52 universe afire after 5+ years...it feels like watching an else world story. Oh, and everyone's voices are great (especially Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern)...except they didn't get Kevin Conroy to voice Batman as they have in so many other DC animated films...instead they went with Jason O'Meara...who basically does this odd version of Christian Bale's "I'm sounding Gruff!" Batman voice....it's not commanding and feels so tacked on....especially when the rest of the voice actors are SO spot on.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users