• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#8181 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 30 July 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 28 July 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

So how many times has Magnificent 7 (the story) been done now? Counting Seven Samurai of course.

Off the top of my head:

Seven Samurai
Magnificent Seven (1960s version) plus sequels (3 i think?)
The crap sci-fi remake with John Boy from the Waltons and Robert Vaughn basically reprising his role (Battle beyond the stars?)
Magnificent Seven tv series from late 90s/early 2000s (this was actually pretty good)
The anime mentioned above.
A Bug's Life

plus god alone knows how many one off episodes in tv shows round the world.

And pretty much any movie from the 80's or 90's where a ragtag group had to band together to stop the evil corporation from taking over the rec centre.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8182 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

I had arrived at a figure somewhere in the thousands in my head, your comments seems about right Coco and Quick :cry:
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#8183 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Finally got around to watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I enjoyed it immensely.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8184 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 31 July 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

Finally got around to watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I enjoyed it immensely.

Agreed. That was one of those movies that I KINDA wanted to see and never did till it was on Netflix,and then I was VERY pleasantly surpried by it. LOVE the ending. Proably my favourite Stiller-directed film. It never quite becomes Hollywood cliche, and as a result I think it succeeds where other directors might have ended up wtih schlock...Stiller gets whimsy and quirky.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8185 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:52 AM

I've never liked Ben Stiller, which is not to say I haven't enjoyed movies he has been in, even some where he has been the star, but there is just something about him that annoys me every time I see his face. Which is the main reason I completely avoided Walter Mitty, from the trailers and such it just looked like way too much Stiller for my liking.

I have similar issues with Adam Sandler as well to an even greater degree, enjoyed a couple of his movies, but he makes it very hard. Really can't put my finger on exactly what it is about their acting that annoys me so.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 01 August 2016 - 01:27 AM

#8186 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:01 AM

Yah, what do these two gentlemen have in common that some people just don't like? Let me just remove this yarmulke so I can scratch the top of my head in contemplation. I'm sure given enough time we'll figure it out!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8187 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:03 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 01 August 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

I've never liked Ben Stiller, which is not to say I haven't enjoyed movies he has been in, even some where he has been the star, but there is just something about him that annoys me every time I see his face. Which is the main reason I completely avoided Walter Mitty, from the trailers and such it just looked like way too much Stiller for my liking.

I have similar issues with Adam Sandler as well to an even greater degree, enjoyed a couple of his movies, but he makes it very hard. Really can't put my finger on exactly what it is about either of them that annoys me so.

Stiller turns down most of his comedic mannerisms in Walter Mitty. It's nearly him at his most "normal" appearance. I think most people will enjoy that movie.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8188 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:17 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 01 August 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

Yah, what do these two gentlemen have in common that some people just don't like? Let me just remove this yarmulke so I can scratch the top of my head in contemplation. I'm sure given enough time we'll figure it out!

I can assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with them being Jewish, why would you jump to that conclusion? It's not as though I've gone around posting anti-semitic remarks on this website. Frankly, the religious inclination of actors (in fact anyone at all) doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just something about their comedic acting, it bugs me, always has done, which isn't to say - as I mentioned above - that I haven't enjoyed some of their films, because I have. I mean I realise that people on this site don't actually know me, I haven't been on here for years and years as many of you have, but have I really given any indication that, that is the kind of person I am? If so then point it out to me and I'll apologise and explain why it wasn't meant in the manner it has been taken.

Amph, if he does indeed turn down most of those comedic mannerisms, perhaps I might well enjoy the movie, I'm sure I will get round to seeing it at some point. I wonder whether it is on British Netflix as well.

EDIT: I think I made it confusing when I said, 'i'm not sure what it is about them' I really should have wrote 'about their acting' instead of 'them'. It reads like I meant it personally, when I didn't, I failed to explain myself clearly. If that is the source of the confusion then it was all in all a simple error in communication - which I have now fixed.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 01 August 2016 - 01:27 AM

#8189 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

WTH I said I was gonna try to help figure it out. Jeez louise, you try to help a guy out and this is the thanks you get.

#8190 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:49 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 01 August 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

WTH I said I was gonna try to help figure it out. Jeez louise, you try to help a guy out and this is the thanks you get.

Oh damn, it never even occurred to me that you were probably just joking, I am sorry. I haven't slept in about 2 days and I just jumped straight into defensive mode, to my sleep deprived brain it read seriously and I suddenly went overboard instead of just asking.

EDIT: I've often said some people need a sarcasm font, apparently so do I. Least when I'm so thoroughly exhausted at any rate.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 01 August 2016 - 01:51 AM

#8191 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:55 AM

I should have realised, ya. Brain ain't working right at the moment clearly

#8192 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:56 AM

Okay, well you've dodged this particular ball, and I think we can be grown ups about this.

#8193 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 01 August 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

Okay, well you've dodged this particular ball, and I think we can be grown ups about this.

Indeed, in the future I'll just assume the opposite of whatever I'm thinking is true, should hopefully serve me well!

#8194 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

Re-watched STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME last night...and it STILL holds up as an excellent Star Trek flick!

Also, the brief glimpse you get of Sulu admiring the Excelsior at the end...awesome. Still my fave ship of any class in any of the shows or movies.

#8195 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

Pretty slick that one.

#8196 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:53 AM

Finally watched Zootopia. Pretty neat world, lots of beautiful rendering and great little touches (particularly loved the train w/ all the different size doors, and the mouse city, and the rhinos looking like the Robin Hood ones). I never read amphibian's critiques cuz I wanted to go in as clean as possible, and I was curious to see if we'd converge or diverge in opinions.

Spoiler

Anyway, so other than that, I thought it was pretty good :cry:. Oh except I guessed who the "bad guy" was way too early too.

I really was going into it fully prepared not to come out of it with a hot take. I loved the DMV trailer, and still think a lot of the detail stuff was great. And I suppose it's cool that Disney would tackle the subject matter so overtly. Now I'm gonna try to find amph's old posts and see if we drew the same conclusion.

#8197 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:31 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 04 August 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

Finally watched Zootopia. Pretty neat world, lots of beautiful rendering and great little touches (particularly loved the train w/ all the different size doors, and the mouse city, and the rhinos looking like the Robin Hood ones). I never read amphibian's critiques cuz I wanted to go in as clean as possible, and I was curious to see if we'd converge or diverge in opinions.

Spoiler

Anyway, so other than that, I thought it was pretty good :cry:. Oh except I guessed who the "bad guy" was way too early too.

I really was going into it fully prepared not to come out of it with a hot take. I loved the DMV trailer, and still think a lot of the detail stuff was great. And I suppose it's cool that Disney would tackle the subject matter so overtly. Now I'm gonna try to find amph's old posts and see if we drew the same conclusion.

That's so much better said than what I said previously.

Well done.

Btw, The Legend of Tarzan is somehow a movie you'd enjoy even after seeing Zootopia. It flat out confronts the Belgian evils in the Congo and treats everyone with respect. And Skarsgaard looks great as Tarzan, while Robbie does well as Jane.

#8198 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 August 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

Hey worry I been watching Naked Guns. On 33 1/3 now

Damn there's a lot of dead cast in these movie now. Anna Nicole just came on and it hit me.

Lol I watched the first one but didn't follow up on that because Amazon Prime has NG and NG 33 1/3 but NOT NG 2 1/2! I felt like the butt of a terrible prank when I realized that. I need to find an alternative way to watch part 2.

@amph: That's pretty interesting. Tarzan is actually a pop culture blind spot of mine though -- I've seen the Disney movie once, and nothing else outside of references to the stories/movies/etc. I'm not sure if any of that matters though, if the movie (as I understand it) is more like a continuation than a reboot?

#8199 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

The movie is... a reboot. But the "Tarzan meet Jane" part is already over and done with (shown briefly in very flashbacks).

The story starts in media res and we get shown through some flashbacks how Lord Greystroke became Tarzan and why that matters. Really unusual structure for a Tarzan story and it's amazingly able to do things like confront the Belgian evils as a primary story mechanism. Completely unexpected for me, as I went in thinking it'd be a doofy movie like the Disney one.

#8200 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

Ah, I gave up cable for the Roku lifestyle :cry: a while back so no IFC for me.

Share this topic:

• 644 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users