• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7641 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:28 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 15 October 2015 - 06:19 AM, said:

I really enjoyed the Martian. Seems like we're in some sort of Sci Fi revolution these days. I hope it lasts.

I really hope so too!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7642 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:12 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 October 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

Jupiter Ascending premiered on Cinemax last night. I dvrd it but I'm loln cause it the rate is only 1 star. This movie was supposed to be all kinds of cool and it just fell apart as it was being made.

Don't bother watching it. I think the script was literally written by kindergartners.
No Touchy.

#7643 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:15 AM

Also, anyone planning to see Back to the Future in theaters this Wed?

I can just imagine someone not knowing about this movie, seeing it and being blown away, then realizing that it was made 1985.
No Touchy.

#7644 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:56 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 18 October 2015 - 12:12 AM, said:

Jupiter Ascending premiered on Cinemax last night. I dvrd it but I'm loln cause it the rate is only 1 star. This movie was supposed to be all kinds of cool and it just fell apart as it was being made.

Don't bother watching it. I think the script was literally written by kindergartners.

Yeah, I went into it really wanting to like it, but fuck. The only redeemable quality was the vfx.

#7645 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:07 AM

The Martian was grwat
Error: Signature not valid

#7646 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 18 October 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

Yeah, I went into it really wanting to like it, but fuck. The only redeemable quality was the vfx.

I think I must be the only person who enjoyed that film. Sure it was naff but it was pretty entertaining. Plus Eddie Redmayne killed it as the bad guy.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7647 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 October 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

I think I must be the only person who enjoyed that film. Sure it was naff but it was pretty entertaining. Plus Eddie Redmayne killed it as the bad guy.

I liked it. The script wasn't the best, but the ideas and the story in general was pretty good.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7648 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 October 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

Same here. The Wachowski-siblings are terrible at writing human interaction and romance (neo and trinity, jupiter and caine being prime examples). However, they have a gift for cool settings I think, and when it comes to sci fi I am very forgiving to directors trying to make something new.

Also, as mentioned, Redmayne was great.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7649 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 18 October 2015 - 12:15 AM, said:

Also, anyone planning to see Back to the Future in theaters this Wed?

I can just imagine someone not knowing about this movie, seeing it and being blown away, then realizing that it was made 1985.

WHAT?!

"Runs to check movie times....."
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7650 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Likely bombed because its dog shit?

#7651 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:39 PM

Time to watch some Micheal J Fox films.

No Touchy.

#7652 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:05 PM

Teen Wolf!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7653 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:14 PM

I finally got around to watching American psycho and was let down. I feel like I missed something, i was always under the impression that this was a really good movie. I felt it was just barely good enough to finish.

The dialogue was overwritten, the characters were caricatures, the plot underwhelming and the ambiguous ending was annoying rather than thought provoking. Is this movie overrated or did I just not get it?

#7654 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 22 October 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

I finally got around to watching American psycho and was let down. I feel like I missed something, i was always under the impression that this was a really good movie. I felt it was just barely good enough to finish.

The dialogue was overwritten, the characters were caricatures, the plot underwhelming and the ambiguous ending was annoying rather than thought provoking. Is this movie overrated or did I just not get it?

If you look at it through the lens of "It's ALL in his head"...it makes for a much better film IMHO. If you actually go through it assuming that this corporate yuppie is a psychopath serial killer as it's painted, it's pretty boring and normal.

For my money, it's MUCH better if it's a Corporate yuppie who has had a psychotic break with reality due to the nature of his job and its people and literally IMAGINES all the shit that goes down in the film:

Cribbed from an article about it at The Dissolve from years ago.

American Psycho has a tone of heightened, satirical, not-particularly-real reality that makes it difficult to take anything onscreen seriously. Businessmen who socialize with each other all the time can’t tell each other apart. Bateman frequently tells people he’s a murderer, and they never seem to hear him. Statements like, “I like to dissect girls. Did you know I’m utterly insane?” elicit a chuckle or a blasé response. When he hacks up his associate Paul Allen, stuffs the man’s corpse into an overnight bag, and drags it out of his apartment building, leaving a thick trail of blood all the way through the lobby, the security guard doesn’t notice. An acquaintance who sees him bundling it into a taxi only expresses interest in the particular brand of the overnight bag.

As the film progresses, its grasp on reality becomes even more tenuous. A chainsaw dropped several stories down a stairwell happens to land perfectly on a fleeing victim, killing her. An ATM orders Bateman to feed it a stray cat. Bateman shoots at a police car, and it promptly explodes; in that moment, even he looks disbelievingly at his gun. These all seem like the daydreams of an increasingly disturbed man, one who isn’t even bothering to fit his fantasies into the real world anymore. And by the end, circumstances around Bateman are implying even more heavily that none of what he remembers doing to his enemies ever actually happened: His lawyer claims he just had lunch with Paul Allen, the man Bateman axe-murdered and stuffed into that swanky Jean Paul Gaultier overnight bag weeks ago. The additional bodies and destruction Bateman left at Paul’s apartment disappear, as if by magic. Although he remembers blowing up that police car, there’s no manhunt on for him. Even Donald Kimball (Willem Dafoe), the dogged detective with a seemingly supernatural ability to home in on Bateman’s favorite murder-music, loses the thread of pursuit. There’s nothing to tie any of this to reality: No lasting effects, no consequences, and no witnesses, apart from Bateman’s secretary Jean (Chloë Sevigny) finding his notebook full of scrawled obscenities and grotesquely graphic doodles. The film ends with Bateman zoned out and detached among his tedious friends, with the camera slowly, meaningfully zooming in on his eyes, as if trying to get behind them, back into the space where all the insanity is occurring. And yet…

...and the door behind him on that last shot reads "This is not an exit"...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7655 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

So you're the one guy who read The Dissolve! Glad to meet ya!

#7656 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

View Postworry, on 23 October 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

So you're the one guy who read The Dissolve! Glad to meet ya!

Merely the first site that popped up when I googled the American Psycho argument...never read the site before.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7657 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:35 AM

Ah. In that case, it's your fault they shut down this year!

#7658 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:15 AM

I think my problem was not being able to tell if I was supposed to take it all at face value or not, at least until the end.

#7659 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:40 AM

Its one of those movies that gets better with repeat watchings. Anyway, I have to return some video tapes.
No Touchy.

#7660 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 23 October 2015 - 01:40 AM, said:

Its one of those movies that gets better with repeat watchings. Anyway, I have to return some video tapes.

The ultimate example of this phenomenon being Blazing Saddles of coerce.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

• 645 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 1 anonymous users