• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7521 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

It's pretty human to be wanting a different ending to a story and end up trashing the one we got for weird reasons.

I do a slightly different thing where I hate on every bit of the lead-up to the Star Wars prequels ending (the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel and aftermath) - but that's different because 1) I think the ending was ok and nearly everything leading up to it was shit and 2) hating on the Star Wars prequel is a really sane thing to do.

I have now moved on to hating on the Star Wars universe entirely. One of my bugbears is artificial intelligence. If it's a solve problem enough that tiny basketball sized droids can be truly intelligent, why aren't Death Stars and big ships sentient? Why wasn't Luke Skywalker known as the architect of the murdering of the two largest intelligences known at that time? (I'm aware there's now sentient planets and stuff like that, but they weren't known at the time)

Star Wars, upon the serious contemplation, pales in comparison to Star Trek, despite the latter being a goofy Lost in Space run by a near monomaniacal man in Roddenberry.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7522 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

To be fair, Star Wars was not in any way designed to stand up to serious contemplation. It's just a load of cool shit, put together in a compelling way (originally, anyway).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7523 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 17 June 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 June 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7524 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7525 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

Pretty sure that
Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7526 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7527 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

Bullets Vs Compound Bow Argument

#70 Pound
329 Feet per Second

.223 Bullet

3200 Feet Per Second
2568 Miles per hour

SuperSonic Speeds
https://en.wikipedia...upersonic_speed

The average bullet travels at 2,500 feet per second (around 1,700 mph). If you reacted to the sound of the gun going off and required 0.20 seconds (twice that of the fastest Olympic sprinters) to react, then you would need to be at least 500 feet away to successfully dodge a bullet. The problem is that sound travels at 768 miles per hour (1,126 feet per second)—about half the speed of the bullet. In this case, the bullet would hit you before you even heard the gun fire off.

Reaction Time. Flatness of the Trajectory.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 18 June 2015 - 12:12 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#7528 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

Meh, in my head the other super fast superheroes can do this, so I see no reason to buy that this one shouldn't be able to (especially when his comic and other movie counterparts can do it). But I'm willing to be in the minority on that. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7529 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Posted Image

#7530 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

Pretty much. It's not crossguarded lightsber dynamics nerdy levels...but it's close.

#7531 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

Jurassic world.
Entertaining, popcorn action fun.
Chris's Pratt is fast turning into one of my favourite leading men.

Overall, as good as Jurassic Park?
Ultimately no, but it hits a lot of the right notes. Pratt is a better lead than Niel, but Park had a better cast overall.
And of course this suffers from sequel syndrome, everything has to be bigger, faster and more dangerous. It still works, and is a close second best.

#7532 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

I saw Jurassic World this evening. It was very cool - full on sequel syndrome as mentioned above but for me it took the syndrome and smashed through it like a gene spliced mutant angry intelligent dinosaur. Layers upon layers of balls out ridiculousness with high heels on. I spotted each plot development way ahead but managed to miss the very final ending bit despite it being completely obvious. Not as good as Park - no Jeff basically - but still an almost perfect summer blockbuster. I thought it looked more scary for kids than Park too. If you go to see it then embrace the silliness and enjoy it. Rarrrrrrrr.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7533 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

I just watched a very nice movie called 'Robot and Frank', with Frank Langella. 5 stolen diamonds out of 6. :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7534 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

Finally watched Kingsman. It was rip-roaring fun. Really enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7535 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

Ex-Machina is a really good movie.
No Touchy.

#7536 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:54 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 22 June 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

Ex-Machina is a really good movie.

I saw it today. I have many thoughts (most of which I put up on Twitter). It is a phenomenal movie and challenges many basic assumptions of our daily lives and assumptions. I really think most of the board will enjoy this movie and take a lot from it.

I'll go into spoilers to get into the deep details and my thoughts:

Spoiler

So yes, go see this movie.

2015 might be a bumper crop of movies that give women/people of color real agency and continue well the work of breaking down institutions that exclude and hurt people. The studios and people starting these movies in 2012 or 2013 did good things and I'm glad to have watched them.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7537 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

Huh, I had no idea this was even being made.

Here's the trailer for CREED, which is a spinoff/longsequel to the ROCKY films, in which Michael B. Jordan plays the son of Apollo Creed who rises as a boxer and is coached by Balboa himself (Sly).

If this can capture the spirit of the original (looks like it does a solid job of it) then we could have a winner on our hands.

#7538 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

Considering how much I LOVED OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN....the fact that they've made a sequel LONDON HAS FALLEN has me all kinds of joyful.

#7539 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 July 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

If this can capture the spirit of the original (looks like it does a solid job of it) then we could have a winner on our hands.

It looks decent, but there's a boatload of boxing movies coming up in the next few months and this still looks like the least interesting one. Southpaw looks more exciting and the Vinny Pazienza and Roberto Duran films have much more interesting (real) subjects and both have great word of mouth from the festival circuit.

Nice Wire nostalgia vibes seeing Avon coaching Wallace. Also, wtf Tony Bellew.

White House Down >>> Olympus Has Fallen. Not that I've seen OHF.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7540 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 July 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 July 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

It looks decent, but there's a boatload of boxing movies coming up in the next few months and this still looks like the least interesting one. Southpaw looks more exciting and the Vinny Pazienza and Roberto Duran films have much more interesting (real) subjects and both have great word of mouth from the festival circuit.

Rocky movie is always going to get butts in the seats. ESPECIALLY with Jordan reciting Rocky's speech to his son from the 6th film in the trailer (which everyone knows from that X-Box commercial).

View Postpolishgenius, on 01 July 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

White House Down >>> Olympus Has Fallen. Not that I've seen OHF.

This is so many kinds of wrong I can't even begin to explain it.

Points in OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN favour that WHITE HOUSE DOWN doesn't have/can't have.

1. Antoine Fuqua (over goddamned Roland Emmerich...of all people, ugh!)
2. Gerard Butler (over Charming Potato AKA Mr. Deadface McCantAct)
3. Millennium Films (over Sony-we-have-no-ideas-Pictures)
4. Not afraid to be brutal 90s-style headshot-happy blood soaked action movie.
5. Not afraid to have an external country villain (over Jason Clarke..?)
6. Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Angela Bassett (over Jaime Foxx, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and James Woods)

And if you've not see OHF...you really should. It's twelve kinds of awesome. :p

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 July 2015 - 05:48 PM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users