• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7141 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

I like the whole classic Farmboy fantasy tropes enough to be at least looking fwd to seeing it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7142 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Looks 100% bog-standard to me. I may see this if a friend wants to go or it gets a good review, otherwise I'll wait for netflix.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#7143 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

But...but...there's a guy with four arms! Come on people, four arms! The term groundbreaking does not do that trailer justice.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7144 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

The amount of classic fantasy films we get with big name stars (other than the LOTR or Hobbit ones) in them are few and far enough between that I'm even cool with how bog standard it looks. :(

That said, I've learned to really dig this type of Genre B movie. I love Wrath of The Titans, for example.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7145 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Will probably watch it.
Can't be any worse than In the Name of the King at least

#7146 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

I'll wait till it's on Syfy and watch it in double feature with the Moby-Dick-with-dragons movie or whatever.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7147 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 January 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

I love Wrath of The Titans, for example.

You don't get to criticize my love of Transformers ever again.

#7148 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

Wooden acting and hilarious melodrama >>>> Directly beneath the enemy's scrotum and a really weird and disgusting scene justifying some dude banging an underage girl to her dad

This in no way suggest Wrath was anything but terrible incidentally
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7149 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostApt, on 15 January 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 January 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

I love Wrath of The Titans, for example.

You don't get to criticize my love of Transformers ever again.

I don't think I ever criticized your love of TF movies. Mostly because I was okay with 1, 3, and portions of 4.

#7150 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Oh... well, in that case I take back all the bad things I've been saying about you.

#7151 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:55 AM

Watched BOYHOOD tonight. That was affecting to me on a level I can't explain...that was my childhood. The only difference would be that my mome didn't marry the abusive drunk, she just dated him obliviously for years. Literally everything else in that movie is my life to a T. It makes me feel better about my divorced parents and then life I lived wasn't abnormal, but normal enough that Richard Linklater was able to be specific about such things.

Also, two DAZED & CONFUSED connections.

1. The liquor store guy who sells to underagers is the same guy in both movies.
2. The school Mason attends midway through the film is the school they shot DAZED AND CONFUSED in (which makes sense as Linklater would have shot in Austin)

Great slice of life film, and more affecting to me becuase of how close it hit to home.

#7152 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:03 AM

Haven't seen it yet, but Hawke did a great interview with Letterman about it pre-Globes. Starts 14 minutes in:

#7153 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 January 2015 - 02:54 AM, said:

Hmm this is gonna be cool as shit or a cheese fest.

My impression is more the latter than the former. It looks worse than Eragon. I await the reviews with interest.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7154 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

View Postworry, on 17 January 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Haven't seen it yet, but Hawke did a great interview with Letterman about it pre-Globes. Starts 14 minutes in:

That specific youtube clip nearly made me freak out...it's been slowed down ever so slightly and both Letterman and Hawke sound like they was talking through a thin wall of molasses...and I thought I was having a stroke.

Luckily I found the official verison of the clip and they are talking normally.

So...thanks for waking me the hell up on a Saturday worry! LOL

#7155 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

I want to see it, and I've heard it's doing some pretty great numbers at the box office. I think the Oscar Nom has made more people want to go and see than otherwise might have on opening weekend.

#7156 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

Good film, Cooper is excellent in it.

#7157 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

View PostApt, on 15 January 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

When I watched the trailer for Seventh Son I thought it was going to be a surprise film adaption of the Witcher series. It almost sounds like it's about the Witcher, last of his kind, made/born to fight monsters, help man, etc. etc.

Actually, this is based on The Last Apprentice, the first book in a YA fantasy series. It's about a 12 year old boy who, due to his "seventh son of a seventh son" heritage, must apprentice to an aging witch hunter who needs to find a replacement before he dies. In the movie, 34 year old actor, Ben Barnes, will be playing our 12 year old hero (pet peeve #1). I dislike the modern trend of loosely adapting every popular fantasy book into a big dumb action movie (pet peeve #2). Of course, I'll watch this anyway. I just don't understand why Hollywood doesn't make up their own stuff, rather than adapting someone else's creation, but then making it barely recognizable.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#7158 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

The One I Love -- Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss in what is almost a bottle episode light sci-fi relationship movie. Very good. If you liked Eternal Sunshine and/or Timer it might be for you. But don't spoil yourself ahead of time.

12 Years A Slave -- What else is there to say on this? Not much to nitpick and zero righteous reason to attempt it. Harrowing. I will say I was shocked to see Hans Zimmer did the (elegant, understated) score, hearing it as I did after Interstellar's colossus of suck.

Maleficent -- Pretty good, but pulls its emotional punches at weird moments. Patchy and underwritten in spots. Very much on the same wavelength as the Narnia movies.

#7159 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

Saw THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING yesterday. Very goood, and solid performances all around. Eddie Redmayne deserves his Oscar nom for the portrayal of Hakwing which is perfect and would have been difficult. I also had no idea that both David Thewlis and Charlie Cox were in it, so that was a surprise. It's hard to watch the ALS ravage him, but the bonus is seeing him defy the odds (he was given 2 years to live and he's lived 50+) and succeed. Amazing. The score is also lovely.

#7160 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

I have not seen American Sniper, but I'm seeing huge criticisms of it from people I respect (Saladin Ahmed being one and a few of my friends being the others) as a movie that presents a petroleum jellyfied soft focus view of a sociopath's life that incites violence against Muslims and Arabs in the dumber segments of its audience.

The movie itself may not have those intentions, but we are indeed seeing reactions from the dregs of humanity like that they want to go kill more ragheads and other horrible statements of the ilk.

So... I probably won't see American Sniper in a way that gives money to the creators. I saw The Hurt Locker on DVD and realized that it was emotion-manipulating trash that was so skillfully done that it would win an Oscar. I also avoided Zero Dark Thirty because it reeked so strongly of the same emotion-manipulating trash that I thought there'd be no chance a close to reality movie would be made.

I don't have a problem with purposely dumb action movies. I do have a problem when actual war events and the people involved within it get twisted beyond recognition to get a rise out of the worst elements of the potential audience.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users