Ye Big Movie thread

#11901 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:02 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 29 December 2021 - 10:18 PM, said:

Halfway through Don't Look Up.

Paused to make more cocktails.

I'm not sure if laughing or crying is the right reaction.

Pause to make more cocktails and post on social media may be the ultimate response.

See you in the afterlife, fellow humans.

We watched it a few nights ago.

Great film, equally entertaining and depressing because it's feels like how people would react.

And that turn from Meryl as president is just superb, I mean sure Trump said she was overaged, and if that performance from her and Hill isn't a nose wag at his administration....

#11902 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:48 AM

Meryl Streep and Jonah Hill's characters were good but Mark Rylance was the cream of the crop for me. A creepy blend of Elon Musk, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg. I had seen the top line of reviews saying the film wasn't very good and was unsophisticated in getting the message across but I definitely enjoyed it. Kind of does a Team America style job on climate change.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11903 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:15 PM

definitely channelling all three into the performance agreed on that.

I think it hits at climate change, the dangers of the super techs (your google, facebook, apple etc) with their data mining and algorithms, political corruption (with a sprinkling of populism in there#0 and straight up capitalisitic greed. If anything it suffers from too broad a spread but I think it hits them all reasonably well.

its like a darker version of Rejoice, a Knife to the Heart with its themes.

#11904 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:50 PM

I'm super late on this, but I watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

It's a damn masterpiece and I'm kinda wondering why there aren't more people/studios trying to emulate it. Every performance is super solid and it's fascinating to see a younger Tom Hardy be slightly weird with Oldman and the others.

I also rewatched Small Soldiers. It's way, way better than I expected it to be and manages to make the satire parts hum right along without denting the entertainment portions too much. I also really miss Phil Hartman. He was so good at the smarmy guy role. It might be the grin not matching the eyes or something, but he's able to carry that so well.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11905 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 January 2022 - 05:20 AM

Jungle Cruise needed a Kurt in Captain Ron type casting for Frank to be a near perfect movie.

It really works on a few levels and if there had been a Russell or Fraser type being an actual scumbag that manages to be lovable, it would be an all timer like The Mummy. Emily Blunt is perfect and really needs more movies built around her.

I'm trying to think of who could do that role better now. Michael B Jordan is a little too young fireball who couldn't possibly be held down by anything to get it done. Needs to be a person who can dip into "they are clearly fucking around because they're bored" territory and then get back out into "do the action hero thing with enough soulfulness" to be believable.

#11906 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 January 2022 - 07:47 AM

That's a toughie. Kurt Russell is probably the best actor in the 80s/90s action star pantheon, and he has like infinite charm even (or especially) when playing slackers or scoundrels who rise to the occasion. I'm not sure we have a replacement for him in that sweet spot of like 35-45. Everyone's too serious or too smarmy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11907 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 January 2022 - 08:43 AM

Spooky, my son is watching Jungle Cruise right now.

Agreed KR or BF would have been awesome in the role and I also can't come up with a suitable modern equivalent.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 January 2022 - 08:44 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11908 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 January 2022 - 09:16 AM

I do think there should be a movie where it's Emily Blunt vs. Emily Mortimer as the main rivalry.

#11909 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 January 2022 - 03:51 PM

James Marsden might be able to go from the comedy to the action pretty well. I did see The Wedding Guest with Dev Patel, which shows me he can absolutely handle the action parts well and remain likable, but not sure about the comedy parts.

Jason Mantzoukas definitely has the scoundrel part down. I'd see a movie in which he goes from scoundrel to action, maybe including a haircut too.

#11910 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 January 2022 - 06:17 PM

Sam Rockwell.

#11911 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 January 2022 - 09:02 PM

I've only seen him in Blackkklansman, but maybe John David Washington?

Dev Patel is a great idea -- I personally loved that new David Copperfield movie and he had tons of charm in it. I'd be interested to see him do a 'good' guy that's not necessarily such a 'nice' guy.

Sam Rockwell's great and a chameleon, but he's another dude who'd have to play 10-15 years younger than he really is, which I find to be the big problem when trying to thread this needle.

#11912 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:14 AM

Tom Hardy?

Maybe not so much "Good guy/scoundrel" as "anti-hero/dark comedy" without being as mentally fried as, and a bit cleaner than Eddie Brock?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 January 2022 - 12:17 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11913 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 January 2022 - 07:04 AM

Tom Hardy has some very good comedic timing when given room for it.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11914 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 January 2022 - 12:51 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 January 2022 - 07:04 AM, said:

Tom Hardy has some very good comedic timing when given room for it.

His character in Peaky Blinders (Alfie Solomon) is frequently the funniest thing happening in the seasons he's in. I think that energy would work well for an adventure movie where he gets to move from that to hero - but whatever they're doing with Venom is way different from that.

#11915 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:11 PM

Think I'm going to watch Attack the Block. Anyone familiar? It has the latest Doctor from Doctor Who and the dude from the last trillo Star Wars movies. Don't know anything about the flick, but it looks like it might be a joint by the guys who did Shaun of the Dead. Movie came out in 2011... totally veered around my orbit of awareness at that time, cause I've never heard of it.

#11916 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:14 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 January 2022 - 10:11 PM, said:

Think I'm going to watch Attack the Block. Anyone familiar? It has the latest Doctor from Doctor Who and the dude from the last trillo Star Wars movies. Don't know anything about the flick, but it looks like it might be a joint by the guys who did Shaun of the Dead. Movie came out in 2011... totally veered around my orbit of awareness at that time, cause I've never heard of it.

It's bonkers, violent and quite ridiculous. And also brilliant. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11917 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:07 PM

Attack the Block is a fun ride.

Definitely British which was a nice change when I watched. Surely alien stuff happens over there just as often!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11918 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:42 AM

All of that. Its a fun movie.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11919 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 January 2022 - 09:25 PM

Watched Don't Look Up. Honestly one of the most entertaining and terrifyingly plausible films I've seen in ages. Loved it so much!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11920 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:09 PM

Attack the Block has nothing to do with Shaun of the Dead except for the production company and Nick Frost having a role (though the director, Joe Cornish, does appear to be mates with Edgar Wright) but yeah it's excellent nonetheless. I saw that The Kid Who Would Be King - an Arthurian modern kid-adventure update by Cornish- is on Disney+ now, will have to give it a looksee.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users