• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10401 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

Interesting, RT finally stopped allowing audience votes before a movie was released:

https://www.theatlan...-trolls/584032/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10402 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Tsundoku, on 05 March 2019 - 08:01 AM, said:

Interesting, RT finally stopped allowing audience votes before a movie was released:

https://www.theatlan...-trolls/584032/

This seems like a no brainer that other sites should enact, like goodreads and amazon...like how you are able to review something before it's been seen/read ect. is so weird. I'm not sure why this feature was ever allowed to begin with.

Finished OUTLAW KING, and it continued to be absolutely excellent throughout. Probably the best version of the Scottish Wars of Independence done on film thus far. And it's nice to know that it was made by an newly started Glasgow-based production house, and a Scottish director and writer. Homegrown stuff always feels best when dealing with historical epics.

Watched INCREDIBLES 2...it was....fine. I was never one of the people who fell head over heels for the first one. I liked it, but didn't love it (I also don't care much for the TOY STORY movies...sue me)...this one was more of the same. Entertaining, but not doing much special.

Started THE BOY WHO HARNESSED THE WIND this morning, Chiwetel Eijiofor's directorial debut (he also wrote its and stars in it), and though I'm only about 50 minutes in, it's REALLY well done. Excited to finish it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10403 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

Morgoth, on 05 March 2019 - 07:15 AM, said:

To me it all felt very much like a cult.

My main takeway from the documentary though, was the people being unable to distinguish between a great entrepreneur and a great salesman. It says a lot about the culture they live in that they fail to see the distinction.

How do you think cults begin?

The stuff about entrepreneurs was indicative of a society that massively values taking other people's money and creating "value" - the amorphous concept that is usually narrow enough to ignore the eventual fallout and human cost.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10404 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

QuickTidal, on 05 March 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

Finished OUTLAW KING, and it continued to be absolutely excellent throughout. Probably the best version of the Scottish Wars of Independence done on film thus far. And it's nice to know that it was made by an newly started Glasgow-based production house, and a Scottish director and writer. Homegrown stuff always feels best when dealing with historical epics.

That's good to hear! It's been on my to watch list for a while, but mainly because (fun fact time!) I know the people who provided the birds of prey and falconry services on set :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#10405 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:10 PM

TheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 March 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

That's good to hear! It's been on my to watch list for a while, but mainly because (fun fact time!) I know the people who provided the birds of prey and falconry services on set :)

AH! Really? That's an awesome connection.

Yes, it's very good. I hope you enjoy it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10406 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:16 AM

This seems like a no brainer that other sites should enact, like goodreads and amazon...like how you are able to review something before it's been seen/read ect. is so weird. I'm not sure why this feature was ever allowed to begin with.

I mean, with books it's a bit different, because it's not terribly difficult to get a review copy, or for lots of people to do so, and publishers generally want those reviews out as early as possibly on as many platforms as possible in order to build good word-of-mouth.

With movies, though, and their private screenings for critics, I agree there's no reason to allow reviews from the general public. (And for what it's worth, I've never even given RT audience scores a second glance.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#10407 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

Finished THE BOY WHO HARNESSED THE WIND. Excellent flick, and well worth your time. I never heard this story before, so it was nice to see in the credits the actual people involved. The actors in this film did an amazing job, especially Maxwell Simba who plays the lead William...man he's amazing. He communicated emotions so well with a twitch of his eye, or a furrowed brow. Hope to see him in more things. Also, the Chief of the Wimba village...is Joseph Marcell...that's right, muthufuzukin' Jeffrey from Fresh Prince!

Watched about 20 minutes of LA LA LAND...what an insufferable piece of garbage. Turned it off. I like musicals, but jeezus that was bad.

Started CONAN THE BARBARIAN (the 1982 Arnie one) since...and brace yourselves...I've never seen either of the Conan flicks. I'm about 45 minutes into it, and I'km really liking the set design, direction and music. Also...did....did Conan just punch a CAMEL in the face?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

#10408 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

Tolkien

https://youtu.be/QjBKkkjcL0Y

Wasn't sure about this when I first heard of it, but this actually looks quite promising.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 08 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#10409 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

Watched Netflix's IO....what a disappointing, ultimately boring Piece of trash film. Anthony Mackie is WASTED in the role, and deserved better.

#10410 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

QuickTidal, on 06 March 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

Started CONAN THE BARBARIAN (the 1982 Arnie one) since...and brace yourselves...I've never seen either of the Conan flicks. I'm about 45 minutes into it, and I'km really liking the set design, direction and music. Also...did....did Conan just punch a CAMEL in the face?

When watching the first one, people should really take special notice of the score. It's so brilliantly composed that you could basically watch the entire movie without any of the characters actually speaking.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10411 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

Primateus, on 08 March 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 06 March 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

When watching the first one, people should really take special notice of the score. It's so brilliantly composed that you could basically watch the entire movie without any of the characters actually speaking.

I knew going in that the score was well liked, but yes after watching it, I can agree. It's an EXCEPTIONAL film score.

I also like that aside from the narration and the speech Conan's dad gives about "steel", literally no one else speaks for the first like 23 minutes or something, and Conan's first words in the film are the ones about seeing your enemies driven before you ect.

#10412 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

You mean to crush your enemies, drive them before you and to hear the lamentations of their women?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10413 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:26 PM

Oh man I wish I could have told people not to inflict IO on themselves
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10414 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

Illuyankas, on 08 March 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

Oh man I wish I could have told people not to inflict IO on themselves

I wish you could have told me! What a waste of time that was.

#10415 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:47 AM

Apparently Jan Michael Vincent also known as Stringfellow Hawk on Airwolf died a month ago but the media didn't pick up on it until now.

https://www.bbc.com/...t-arts-47502183

Keeping tabs on him the past decade was a sad affair but I loved Airwolf as a kid. Stringfellow Hawk is perhaps the coolest character name ever invented.

#10416 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:03 AM

Alternative Goose, on 09 March 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

Apparently Jan Michael Vincent also known as Stringfellow Hawk on Airwolf died a month ago but the media didn't pick up on it until now.

Keeping tabs on him the past decade was a sad affair but I loved Airwolf as a kid. Stringfellow Hawk is perhaps the coolest character name ever invented.

I recall the character's brother was named St John - pronounced "Sin-jinn". Parents, huh?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10417 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

Wasn't St. John the organisation leader? The guy with the eye patch? He seemed much older than Stringfellow

#10418 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

Alternative Goose, on 09 March 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

Wasn't St. John the organisation leader? The guy with the eye patch? He seemed much older than Stringfellow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf

#10419 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:29 PM

Alternative Goose, on 09 March 2019 - 05:47 AM, said:

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't know about that. Airwolf was probably my very favorite show of that era. I still love the musical theme. As a bird of prey lover, I also thought Stringfellow Hawk(e?) was an awesome name. And his character played the cello - String, lol. I actually bought a model of the Airwolf chopper but never finished it. Jan Michael Vincent lived REAL hard by all accounts. He could've/should've died more than once, if I recall correctly..

#10420 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:33 PM

Alternative Goose, on 09 March 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

The guy with the eye patch I think you mean was Archangel. Also wore an all white suit, always. And had a limp and a cane.

Share this topic:

• 645 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users