Malazan Empire: To you, how much is a LOT of money? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To you, how much is a LOT of money? For all your little luxuries - not necessities like MBotF.

Poll: What's your threshold of 'big money'? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Picky Choosey!

1. I'm a poor student, ANY money makes me feel rich. (10 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. $30,000 to $40,000 a year. (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

3. $41,000 to $55,000 a year. (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

4. $56,000 to $70,000 a year. (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. $71,000 to $90,000 a year. (7 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

6. $91,000 to $120,000 a year. (8 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

7. I settle for nothing less than $150,000 or greater. (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

8. If I dont have a private jet, what's the point? (4 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

9. Only the WIN lifestyle of Abyss will do. (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

What is "rich" enough to support your luxury lifestyle? THRESHOLD is the key. At what point, do you think "I'd be doing more than all right with this..."

Sorry for the US denominations:

Use the currency calculator here:

http://www.reuters.c...ance/currencies

if you need an explique.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

I'm poor, but I live off my parents. So I don't pay for any necessities...and excepting internet+electricity+books, and the occasional game I don't need all that much for everyday luxuries. Then cash for going out, but I just ask and get that shit. D:

#3 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

I was tempted to pick "poor student" cuz I am....but I am in no way comfortable with my arrangement. Hell, between credit cards and loans, I owe too much as it is.

Ideally, anything around $100k would allow me to pay off my debt and live an awesome lifestyle.

Don't really see that happening anytime soon, though. :p

#4 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm currently in the 71000-90000 bracket, I'm recently divorced and single with no kids so it allows me to live a very comfortable life. I have my own house, car, and don't really have any major financial worries. That being said I spend more money than I should, I'm not really a saver. So I chose the the 91000-120000 bracket as I believe it would allow me to spend the way I do now, plus have some money to put away into savings and what not. This is all assuming that I can curb my spending habits of course!
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#5 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

One problem is that there is a comfort level above 150,000 and below the private jet. That is were I would like to be. So I am not really sure what to put down. Personally I would feel pretty good around 200,000 to 250,000. That would be my optimal comfort level.

Go abyss life style...
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

I am a poor student, so I put that down...but I'll be starting work in the summer, so it will probably change then - no idea how I'd spend £30k, so I guess I could have put down the next lowest one.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#7 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

View PostSir Thursday, on Apr 9 2009, 03:42 PM, said:

no idea how I'd spend £30k,

After tax, rent/mortgage, bills, food and a modest alcohol habit and social life, you would spend it VERY easily!!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

Combined me and the wife make around 45000, nice would be 100k but I put without a private jet whats the point, because you asked how much is ALOT of money, 150k isn't really that much, a million a year would be great thoug, since we are fantasizing, might as well throw in a lakefront property of 40 plus acre in the mountains. And a llama.
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#9 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

poor student who doesnt have rich parents. Have a weekend job and after my degree realistically will be getting around 25k a year but will move up. 60 a year wud be nice. Im very poor and very working class

#10 User is offline   Stradivarius 

• Marine

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

to be honest it would have to be enough money not to need to work and just carry on with my job as a hobby while enjoying myself as a rich loonatic! at the mo i have more money than i can spend because i dont have that much time to spend it but then its a bit too big a jump to hire someone in to do my job for me. so i end up spending about £400 a week on food shopping and a half that agin on other stuff and within reason whatever car i want, the down side being i still work appalingly long hours!

This post has been edited by Stradivarius: 09 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Whole bag of orios! crappin all over the carpet! twelve ribs my ass!!!

#11 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

I would like to be getting 80K or more. Could live comfortably off that here in Aus, well at the moment anyways :p Saying that. I can live well enough off the 45+k I make currently (these are in AUD by the way), so I can't really complain too much, though I would like to :p
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#12 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

I AM a poor student, with a decent-sized loan to pay off after graduation, and very modest spending habits.

60k a year after taxes would allow me to live comfortably (rent, loan payments, food, etc)

If I could net 100k+, that would be A LOT, and most of it would probably go into some long-term savings account. so i put that down.

but I feel I could sum up all usual expenses in 3k/month, so anything over 40 k after taxes and i'd be able to keep the same lifestyle I have as a student.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Apr 9 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

View PostSir Thursday, on Apr 9 2009, 03:42 PM, said:

no idea how I'd spend £30k,

After tax, rent/mortgage, bills, food and a modest alcohol habit and social life, you would spend it VERY easily!!!

I don't have the modest alcohol habit...rent is going to be cheap for the first year, because I'll be staying in company-provided accomodation...social life? Who needs one of those? :p

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#14 User is offline   Impirion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Most sports, particularly football (that's soccer to you americans), and tennis. Reading (obviously!). Computer games, mostly RTS stuff, although also enjoy football manager and sports sims.

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

Poor student, who at the mo doesn't have a clue what he's doing next year *shakes fist at STD for having a job already*... If I did get a job then I reckon £50k would be quite decent... although if working in London, bump that up like 10-20k due to higher rents and general cost of living...

Imp

#15 User is offline   waydoug 

• Sergeant
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

I put up to the $90,000 one. To me, with a wife and 2 kids, that would leave us comfortably off.

#16 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

@Bent

Its not really fantasy in terms of how much money you'd LIKE to have. Obviously, everyone would choose the highest amount in that case.

This is asking what is your threshold amount of money where you'd finally feel comfortable, and not have to worry about keeping a tight budget.

I've crunched a lot of numbers for my situation, and for the savings i want to accomplish, I chose the 90,000 option. Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet....
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#17 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

I've no dependents, no debts and not particularly expensive hobbies. 41 to 55 suits me fine.

#18 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

View PostBent, on Apr 9 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

Combined me and the wife make around 45000, nice would be 100k but I put without a private jet whats the point, because you asked how much is ALOT of money, 150k isn't really that much, a million a year would be great thoug, since we are fantasizing, might as well throw in a lakefront property of 40 plus acre in the mountains. And a llama.

My parents raised llama's for quite a few years. They are nice but they will spit and hiss at you if you piss them off.... My folks loved em though. They would only let you pet their heads and necks not their bodies.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#19 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Apr 9 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

@Bent

Its not really fantasy in terms of how much money you'd LIKE to have. Obviously, everyone would choose the highest amount in that case.

This is asking what is your threshold amount of money where you'd finally feel comfortable, and not have to worry about keeping a tight budget.

I've crunched a lot of numbers for my situation, and for the savings i want to accomplish, I chose the 90,000 option. Unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet....

Well, in that case 90K would be nice and allow me to do husbandly chores, fix the house etc. However in a years time me and the wife will have eliminated our dept with the exception of the house and cars. So 40K should allow 1000 dollars extra per month, so we will be fine, in theory by next year. but 90K would let us do the stuff we need to and the stuff we want to.
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#20 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

I'm strictly small-time. Anything over 5 bucks, well, that means lots of cookies from the canteen at college...

"plays Happy Days theme"

With higher amounts (hundreds to thousands) I don't go cartwheeling singing Alleluia. I can't really use it, and I usually store it away.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users