Malazan Empire: The Call of Duty Series - Malazan Empire

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Call of Duty Series Bang bang bang BOOOOM! bang bang RATATATA!!!, etc.

#301 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

View PostObdigore, on 11 January 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

...goes on about how awesome he is with a shield...

You forgot the most obvious, easiest and gigilicious way to kill shielders who think they're so bad. Commando + knife. no circlejerk of death, no bullet obscuration, just plain ol 'oh you thought you were going to smack me with that shield? oh, sorry, I forgot you can't hear CAUSE I PUT A KNIFE IN YOUR EAR'. Probably don't even need commando if you've got good ping.

#302 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostJusentantaka, on 11 January 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

You forgot the most obvious, easiest and gigilicious way to kill shielders who think they're so bad. Commando + knife. no circlejerk of death, no bullet obscuration, just plain ol 'oh you thought you were going to smack me with that shield? oh, sorry, I forgot you can't hear CAUSE I PUT A KNIFE IN YOUR EAR'. Probably don't even need commando if you've got good ping.

It's funny, because my shield somehow seems to stop knives. The best part is I can lunge just as far as you with my giant ass shield.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#303 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Jusen vs Obdi! GOGOGOGOGOGOGO. THIS MUST BE RESOLVED BY A BATTLE TO THE DEATH!.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#304 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

Finally getting the Internet at my house on Wendsday. No more going over to SB's to play.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#305 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Bout fucking time.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#306 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

View PostObdigore, on 11 January 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostJusentantaka, on 11 January 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

It's funny, because my shield somehow seems to stop knives. The best part is I can lunge just as far as you with my giant ass shield.

well, i never said hit the glass part. but it doesnt cover everything perfectly and since knives are equally overpowered all you need is a graze. Maybe its something to do with the extra reach of the commando melee, i dunno, since i don't not-use commando. But I've never (ok, almost never) smacked the shield going for a kill.

As for giant-ass shield lunge... my coke fueled smg & .45+tac kit is about a billion times more nimble, probably faster on the melee too.

And if we were gonna have a duel to the death, it has to be both with riot shields and no useful perks so it would be like jousting. Reminds me of the (really) old days of rainbow six - playing with heavy armor and rubber bullet loaded shotguns. *nostalgia tear*

#307 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hahahha.

I will admit that someone with a pistol/tac knife would probably take out a shieldy just circling and stabbing. However I have yet to run into someone in S&D who is using a pistol/tac knife for anything. It is all AR's and Shottys.

I will also freely admit I had 4 bars all day on Sat when I was playing, and believe I was the host for about 4 games until we quit to pick someone else up, after which I was not host but had 4 bars.

If it was a 3bars v 4 with the riot shield having 3, it would suck. Lots of the kids in TD have 3 bars, or they cause you to have 3 bars because of where the hosts are. It seems that most timesin S&D people play it because they have 4 bars and are more successfull and so keep playing.

I have had numerous people attempting to knife me through the shield. I had 2 throwing knives sticking out of my shield at one point.

Meh.

Question Jusen, what Sensetivity do you play at?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#308 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Well, I think I'm probably host 9 times out of 10 cause i've got a beast of a line going direct to a hub. But my up is near enough equal to my down for gaming purposes (20/16), and there's enough people local that there's only the occasional 3 bar baby who usually wont shut the fuck up about the lag.

Also only use the SMG cause I get bored shit going 5 or 10 to 1 with an AR/shotty. Might have to go play some S&D next time I feel like playing this shit to spice it up, but I've got a functional x64 version of tribes, and an unbelievable desire to harangue people for not wanting to play rabbit with me... Maybe if global agenda ends up sucking.

And I've always meant real knife here, not throwing... never felt it was worth the tradeoff of not having an AoE grenade.

Sensitivity is maxed, whatever that equates to. Too much mouse-love to be able to suffer a slow response. Of course, I/we go through about 3 controllers a year because of it, but whatever.

#309 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

First, do you ever snipe? I can't snipe with sens higher than 7 (10 is max, the game comes preset to 3 or 4).

Yes you are most likely almost always the host, or just supernaturally good at this game. I will freely admit I am not the best, but when I am host I have a chance at dropping a nuke in TD if I have it on.

I know you meant stabby knife, not throwing knife. I was just commenting that its funny to see a throwing knife hanging off of the front of your shield.

With a 3bar connection, you can see the lag if everyone else has 4 bars. If most of the room is at 3 you really don't., except for the host.

Jusen have you ever done any quick-scoping? Put Sleigh of Hand on a snapper raffle, point it towards the enemy, pull the zoom then the trigger a milisecond later, and it is a perfect shot towards the middle of where your screen was. It works well when you have 4 bars, and it pisses people off something royally, as it is a one-shot kill that is abusing game mechanics.

#310 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

View PostObdigore, on 11 January 2010 - 10:08 PM, said:

First, do you ever snipe? I can't snipe with sens higher than 7 (10 is max, the game comes preset to 3 or 4).

Jusen have you ever done any quick-scoping? Put Sleigh of Hand on a snapper raffle, point it towards the enemy, pull the zoom then the trigger a milisecond later, and it is a perfect shot towards the middle of where your screen was. It works well when you have 4 bars, and it pisses people off something royally, as it is a one-shot kill that is abusing game mechanics.

I snipe with an artemis, anything else is just dildos. Especially in this game where sniping is ...... unmentionably unrealistic seems the only way to put it. The bad shooting mechanics can be overlooked with other weapon classes, sometimes, but damned not with a rifle. I get irked just seeing someone run down the street with a .50 at their hip, much less shooting people with it, so everything I can do to distance myself from those people, I do. I think I decided to start using knives and handguns heavily when I was playing a hardcore match where 4 of the other 5 people on my team were running around with .50s with thermal scopes. After I got kicked for killing all of them for being bitches that is.

#311 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

I am unaware of the 'artemis' terminology.

I quick google shows that artemis is a scope manufacturer? Do you mean irl you use an Artemis scope, and so enjoy video game sex play analogies?

But what I read is 'My name is Jusentanka(maybe), I turn my sens all the way up to 10, then run around the map spraying a smg/knifing with a good connection, and ridicule anyone who uses a gun/setup I don't like.'

Is that close to what is going on here?

#312 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

View PostObdigore, on 11 January 2010 - 10:57 PM, said:

I am unaware of the 'artemis' terminology.

I quick google shows that artemis is a scope manufacturer? Do you mean irl you use an Artemis scope, and so enjoy video game sex play analogies?

But what I read is 'My name is Jusentanka(maybe), I turn my sens all the way up to 10, then run around the map spraying a smg/knifing with a good connection, and ridicule anyone who uses a gun/setup I don't like.'

Is that close to what is going on here?

I need to drink less and then I will be more clear what I mean when I am roundaboutishly complaining about hitscan by referencing a laser-beam rifle from a sci fi game.

And basically, yeah, seems so, since there are obviously only three choices of gear. Sniper rifle with thermal scope, shield and 'other'. I like being other. Makes me feel all mysterious and therefore awesome. :)

This post has been edited by Jusentantaka: 11 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

#313 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

I've yet to play someone with the riot shield who wasn't awful at it; you need to prove me wrong, Obdi. D: I've found that 90% of the time I can get get behind them and commando knife them, noob tube them (position the shot to detonate behind them), or stick them from a distance and get around a corner. When I stick riot shielders, I find I survive most of the time--for some reason they just don't manage to get close enough or something.

#314 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Ahh Tribes2. Fair enough.

And I'm just giving you a hard time, I often see people doing it, I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, I just wish I had your net connection so I was always host ;)

@Sixty, stick me a grenade, I won't die. then I come play bump with you :).

I agree, I have seen 1 good riot shielder in the game, and he owned my face for two rounds in S&D. That was when I realized how good you can be and what you can do with one.

#315 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:56 AM

I've started playing SD recently as well, and my best class is always the marathon/lightweight/any (usually with silenced P90). It is fantastic for getting close to the enemy before they even expect to find you so usually the enemy is offguard.

Heartbeat sensor on any assualt rifle can be very good depending on the skill of the enemy. If they suck, they probably don't have ninja on.

@Obdi- Hardcore or core SD?

#316 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:01 AM

Regarding totally unrealistic shooting skills in Modern Warfare: You know why sniper rifles HAVE to be as crazy-accurate as they are? Because otherwise they would be unusable.

Think about it: A .50 cal is an anti-material rifle that requires a two-man team, and is accurate up to 1000 metres away. You could spend days preparing your one shot in RL, be it at a lightly armoured target or a person (what a waste of a .50 cal bullet, though! :S), taking into account wind conditions, so on and so forth.

I doubt there is even a map in MW2 that has 1000 meters of open ground (to scale, ofc), let alone time to set up that sort of shot.

Even if you just made it so you had to be lying down (standing up and firing a Barrett? Get real!) to get rid of scope wobble, it would make sniper rifles basically non-viable, especially with any sort of lag. So they have to make them basically equivalent to any other weapon in terms of kill rate to make the game "balanced".

It's like mages in a RPG; in 'RL' (or compare books, if you want), they would buttfuck anyone and everyone. Most games they try to 'balance' the mechanics so 1) you can survive an encounter with one and 2) playing as one is not insanely easy.

While I'm undoubtedly a fan of realism (see my regular complaints RE: rate of fire), I think that you either have to make concessions in this case, or change the gameplay mechanics entirely. Then it just wouldn't be the Modern Warfare we all know and love, would it? XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#317 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

View PostSilencer, on 12 January 2010 - 05:01 AM, said:

depressing facts of modern gaming life

As I read through all that, I was tallying up stuff to say in counterpoint about how absolutely glorious it would be if the game was made realistic. And then you go and ruin it by saying that that would make it not a call of duty game, and you're absolutely right. For just a moment - a slight moment mind you - I was envisioning a realistic, squad-sized MP shooter.

Sigh. Better to stick with my basement genetics project than hope for that though, cause the Walger is a lot more likely.

#318 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

Eh, I agree it would be amazing. Sadly, most games that go to anything near those lengths (Operation Flashpoint and ArmA II being the ones I think of immediately) are bugged. And I hate bugs. Sure, they can be insanely awesome/incredibly hard, but ArmA's control scheme is more of a nightmare than anything else, let alone useful, and Operation Flashpoint has some flaws in it too, which is a shame (that, btw, is a relatively realistic MP modern-ish game...look for Dragon Rising rather than the original if graphics are important).

Hell, you could have a game which runs a simulation like: Sniper team gets 2 minutes to set up claymore's, cover points and block off routes. Two snipers vs 15 riflemen, riflemen have to get from point A to point B, snipers' aim is to inflict as many casualties as possible. End of round is one team eliminated or riflemen reach their goal, then the snipers get swapped out for two new folk.

And I just came up with that on the fly in half a minute. Imagine what you could do...almost as daunting a task to carry out properly as my Malazan project, though. XD

Shinrei said:

#319 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

View PostSilencer, on 12 January 2010 - 06:29 AM, said:

Eh, I agree it would be amazing. Sadly, most games that go to anything near those lengths (Operation Flashpoint and ArmA II being the ones I think of immediately) are bugged. And I hate bugs. Sure, they can be insanely awesome/incredibly hard, but ArmA's control scheme is more of a nightmare than anything else, let alone useful, and Operation Flashpoint has some flaws in it too, which is a shame (that, btw, is a relatively realistic MP modern-ish game...look for Dragon Rising rather than the original if graphics are important).

Hell, you could have a game which runs a simulation like: Sniper team gets 2 minutes to set up claymore's, cover points and block off routes. Two snipers vs 15 riflemen, riflemen have to get from point A to point B, snipers' aim is to inflict as many casualties as possible. End of round is one team eliminated or riflemen reach their goal, then the snipers get swapped out for two new folk.

And I just came up with that on the fly in half a minute. Imagine what you could do...almost as daunting a task to carry out properly as my Malazan project, though. XD

I actually hated (really, hated) ArmA II because of the controls. That sort of nightmare has no place in post-90's gaming, none at all. Those more-boring-than-death flight sims have better control schemes.

The rest makes me think of these old 'design your own game' topics that would come up a couple times a year on an old forum I lived in. Sadly, they really never lasted more than a page before devolving into some variation of 'my shrewish dingaling is bigger than yours, and I'd take a picture to prove it, but I have a bag of cheetoes resting on my fat-pouch right now'

#320 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

As for rate of fire: I'd love if they had halfway realistic rate of fires and recoils in this game, but then the game would be a massive pain in the ass to play with a console controller. And that's where all of IW's money comes from.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users