Malazan Empire: George Martin addresses his detractors - Malazan Empire

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

George Martin addresses his detractors I think he might mean some of us Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on Apr 2 2009, 12:33 AM, said:

So GRRM put up on his blog today that he's added a partner to help him finish ADWD.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/

Howard Waldrop, anyone read anything by him?

I'm not sure what this means, he must be really stuck to share something like this with someone. I....guess its a good thing.

;)

Slow, I have a sneaky suspicion that considering it was April 1st, he's taking the piss.

If not though and it turns out to be true...., the " mysterious knight with 3 dodos on his shield" would be a nice metaphor for his career, extinct.

If it is true, at least he's finally fessed up to losing the plot.

Either way that post makes me feel unclean....... :)
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#102 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

View Postmasan's saddle, on Apr 1 2009, 06:57 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on Apr 2 2009, 12:33 AM, said:

So GRRM put up on his blog today that he's added a partner to help him finish ADWD.

I'm not sure what this means, he must be really stuck to share something like this with someone. I....guess its a good thing.

;)

Slow, I have a sneaky suspicion that considering it was April 1st, he's taking the piss.

If not though and it turns out to be true...., the " mysterious knight with 3 dodos on his shield" would be a nice metaphor for his career, extinct.

If it is true, at least he's finally fessed up to losing the plot.

Either way that post makes me feel unclean....... :)

I'm with you Masan I hope this is a really bad April Fool's joke! Either way it's not very funny!
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#103 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:08 AM

I thought that, and thought about not posting it. But, eh, if it is a joke then i can just pretend i did the same thing....wait

No one read this post!!!
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#104 User is offline   waydoug 

• Sergeant
  • View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

If it is an April Fools joke, can anyone be any more pissed?

I'm still excited by the fact that it could be done in a month or so and I'll get to read it (maybe by Dec??) So let's hope it's true.

#105 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist
  • Interests:cooking, wine, beer, reading, music, hockey & football

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

looks "fishy" to me...

#106 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

I was checking out the comments, and it seems like those people believe this to be true.

But I don't.

#107 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

added today:

Well, Not Really
  • Apr. 2nd, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Okay, you got me.

Some of you, anyway.

Howard is a swell writer and all, but he's even slower than me. (By the way, all that stuff about the Wanderer and the Chronicles of Chim-Wazle is true).

Guess I'll just have to finish Dancing by myself.

See you again next April, boys and girls. Bya, bya, bya.

This post has been edited by alestar: 02 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

#108 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

View Postalestar, on Apr 2 2009, 11:30 AM, said:

added today:

Well, Not Really
  • Apr. 2nd, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Okay, you got me.

Some of you, anyway.

Howard is a swell writer and all, but he's even slower than me. (By the way, all that stuff about the Wanderer and the Chronicles of Chim-Wazle is true).

Guess I'll just have to finish Dancing by myself.

See you again next April, boys and girls. Bya, bya, bya.

If only he spent half the time writing ADWD as he did on crap like this we would have the book by now! Man GRRM pisses me off! I'm glad it's not true, but it's still not funny!
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

-Zanth13-

#109 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

It's like he's rubbing his fans nose in it...

#110 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

View Postalestar, on Apr 2 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

It's like he's rubbing his fans nose in it...

Yes that's exactly what it seems like, which is why it's not even remotely funny.
-Bubbalicious -

-Stone Monkey-

-Zanth13-

#111 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Aye. If the guy wants to complain that his fans get too irate over his ridiculously-slow writing process, he really can't post things like this. It's like putting your dick in the tiger's mouth, and getting pissed off when it swallows. Or something.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#112 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

Tiger's swallow?

#113 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

The amusement factor comes from the fact that Waldrop has been working on those two novels GRRM mentions for about 30 years, and hasn't finished either one. Of course, it doesn't help that no-one at all would know who Waldrop was if it wasn't for GRRM recruiting him to work on his various anthologies and WILD CARDS. He's actually a pretty good writer, but his output is very, very low.

I much preferred Locus Magazine's ADWD April Fool's last year.

If only he spent half the time writing ADWD as he did on crap like this we would have the book by now!

Absolutely. If it took GRRM 15 minutes to write that blog post, that's 7.5 minutes we lost from the writing of ADWD. If only he'd done that, the book would absolutely be finished by now. Woe! WOE!
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#114 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

I haven't read this guys books, but I like him already. I laughed so hard at the "Garden Party" link. Great stuff.
I still heart Goodkind.

#115 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

He should have gone with his HD crashing, or being stolen, or a house fire and having the manuscript destroyed.

Or even that virus that was supposed to hit yesterday corrupting everything. At his computer and publishers. Bye bye ADWD.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#116 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on Apr 2 2009, 05:03 AM, said:

;)

View Postteholbeddict, on Apr 2 2009, 05:23 AM, said:

Oh FFS! I thought ADWD was supposed to be nearly complete! Now he's telling us he needs a partner to finish it! Fuck why the hell didn't he figure this our last year or the year before! I suppose we're supposed to be impressed with the fact that he's finished all the other books he mentioned at the beginning of his message! What any of those works has to do with ASOIF is beyond me! It was clear he's been struggling, he admits as much, I just don't understand why it took him so long to come to this conclusion! I wanted the book to come out, but I'm not entirely thrilled that he's partnering up with someone. I'm really at the point of thinking this book is just going to be garbage, and I wonder about the rest of the series as well. I'm irritated with this to the point of not even wanting to read the rest of the series! there are so many excellent books and authors out there and I'm tired of GRRM's ever changing excuses! ;)

Relax folks... it was an April Fool's Day prank. Read the latest on that blog
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#117 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

View Postwolf_2099, on Apr 2 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

He should have gone with his HD crashing, or being stolen, or a house fire and having the manuscript destroyed.

Or even that virus that was supposed to hit yesterday corrupting everything. At his computer and publishers. Bye bye ADWD.

Why am I crashing? Do you wish me ill luck? Fire and kidnapping? What have I done that is so wrooooonnnng.

On topic: That is a pretty lame, April Fool's Day joke... but most are. Meh.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#118 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

I think people have forgotten about how a true April Fools Joke works. Too many crappy internet April Fools jokes. It's supposed to be believable, people.

If he wrote that his dog ate his computer or that he fell and knocked his head on the coffee table and no longer remembers the SOIAF, then everyone would know its just an april fools joke.

And yeah, like Wert said, oh noes he actually took time to write an april fools joke! Now ADWD will NEVER BE RELEASED!!! silly fanboys.

#119 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

He should be too busy painting his miniature figurines to post any April Fool's Jokes.......

*cursing ensues*

#120 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

How could you not see his April 1 post was a joke? He switched his avatar to a giant frog, his mood was:amused.

I knew it was a joke the minute I read it. Now, if he would just stop eating and showering, live in his office a bit more, we could get this business over with.

No more living life for you, GRRM. The Internet Bureau of Investigation, IBI to simpletons, demand you finish the novel in as quickly a manner as possible....

The bourgeoisie is getting restless.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users