• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Skinner and Cowl's liitle adventure..

#1 User is offline   Shadovvthrone 

• Master of Doom
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

..in the warren (of thyr?).

What happened exactly? Why where they there and what did they encounter? Can some one refresh my memory?
Sorry if it's already been discussed elsewhere, if so lock, delete etc..

Oh yeah, has anyone made a world map recently?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

Made a world map recently? Do you mean an update of Wertheads map? I think he updates it every book, don't know if there was any good tidbits in TTH or RCG though.

As for Skinner and Cowl. They were taking a short cut. They met the arrogant Liosan from HoC who were chasing Olar Ethil it would seem. Skinner kicks their ass. Skinner see's a tower and is curious. Cowl is scared. A giant light creatures zaps them. It seemed to be looking for Osseric. They move on.

#3 User is offline   Shadovvthrone 

• Master of Doom

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

I thought this was an awesome scene. I forgot they where taking a shortcut, and the Liosan indeed seem to be the same ones from House of Chains. Braught a little smile to my face. But I was mainly curious about the giant entity of light thing, that scared Cowl and forced them to leave. Where did you get the idea it was looking for Osserc, was it mentioned?

(I think i have one version of Wertheads world map in my little map collection (thanks Wert), but i was wondering if opinions had changed or more/ other maps had been made.)

Thanks Apt, that avi cracks me up everytime..

#4 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

View PostShadovvthrone, on Feb 3 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

I thought this was an awesome scene. I forgot they where taking a shortcut, and the Liosan indeed seem to be the same ones from House of Chains. Braught a little smile to my face. But I was mainly curious about the giant entity of light thing, that scared Cowl and forced them to leave. Where did you get the idea it was looking for Osserc, was it mentioned?

(I think i have one version of Wertheads world map in my little map collection (thanks Wert), but i was wondering if opinions had changed or more/ other maps had been made.)

Thanks Apt, that avi cracks me up everytime..

I thought it was a terrible scene. Those Liosans seems to be around just to get smacked around. The Tiste Liosans are supposed to be the Light eqivivalent to to Tiste Andi yet they show nothing, except stutidity that is.

I figured the tower they entered was one of Osserec's places and the Light entity was "merely" a Guardian entity that Osserc "activates" whenever he's away on a business trip. The entity essentially checks Cowl and Skinners Ids and when they fail to show proper clearance (They are not Osserc) they get booted out.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#5 User is offline   Cowl's Disciple 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

View PostUrizen, on Feb 4 2009, 07:23 AM, said:

I thought it was a terrible scene. Those Liosans seems to be around just to get smacked around. The Tiste Liosans are supposed to be the Light eqivivalent to to Tiste Andi yet they show nothing, except stutidity that is.

I figured the tower they entered was one of Osserec's places and the Light entity was "merely" a Guardian entity that Osserc "activates" whenever he's away on a business trip. The entity essentially checks Cowl and Skinners Ids and when they fail to show proper clearance (They are not Osserc) they get booted out.

I'm inclined to agree. I didn't mind the scenes with the Liosan in HoC but it's getting old now. They're arrogant buffoons who always bite off more than they can chew; we get it!

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:53 AM

well these liosan are definitely not the light equivalent of the andii, thats just bollocks. they've been completely isolated from every other realm since the time of the human first empire and have developed in complete isolation since then. their race is arrogant and ignorant as a whole
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:31 AM

I thought it was a funny scene. For me it's main purpose was to show that there was more to Skinner than just being a big scary dark knight. He showed humor, curiosity, fearlessness and displayed pure awesomeness in his taking down the Liosan and then just walking on.

#8 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:20 AM

Once again, Esslemont didn't portray the Liosan properly...Jorrude was the head of that little foursome and Enias and him talked like equals. And it was Jorrude who said "I'm having a lack of faith." Stupid...

I reckon it is only a matter of time before the Tiste Liosan leave their warren. They're looking for Osric and maybe it'll finally occur to them they should search outside en masse.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#9 User is offline   Cowl's Disciple 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Feb 4 2009, 01:53 PM, said:

well these liosan are definitely not the light equivalent of the andii, thats just bollocks. they've been completely isolated from every other realm since the time of the human first empire and have developed in complete isolation since then. their race is arrogant and ignorant as a whole

I'm not sure if they're arrogant as a whole, L'oric didn't seem so arrogant when we saw him.

Will we see anymore of him now that Ossy is back in play?

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

No-one knows where L'oric's gone, but I'm sure he'll seek out his daddy. He's that kinda guy.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#11 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Feb 5 2009, 04:13 AM, said:

No-one knows where L'oric's gone, but I'm sure he'll seek out his daddy. He's that kinda guy.

Father and Son have already had one reunion, remember... somewhere in HoC where Osric lectures L'oric at length about the nature of the Deragoth, and where L'oric picks up his new familiar, Greyfrog.

I don't think another meeting will be momentous in any way... nor do I think L'oric is still looking for Osserc. L'oric is pretty much a free agent at this point, methinks.
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#12 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hasn't L'oric pretty much thrown his lot in with The Queen of Dreams?

#13 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

View PostBenji, on Feb 5 2009, 07:38 AM, said:

Hasn't L'oric pretty much thrown his lot in with The Queen of Dreams?

I thought the QoD just teleported him that once to save greyfrog/ scillara/ heboric and company. From then on he was on his own... right? the QoD has business with Leoman and Dunsparrow IIRC, not L'oric
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#14 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

Hmm... Maybe... I just thought that he had told her he would help her once he got Greyfrog back.

#15 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:07 AM

View PostSkywalker, on Feb 5 2009, 08:18 PM, said:

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Feb 5 2009, 04:13 AM, said:

Father and Son have already had one reunion, remember... somewhere in HoC where Osric lectures L'oric at length about the nature of the Deragoth, and where L'oric picks up his new familiar, Greyfrog.

I don't think another meeting will be momentous in any way... nor do I think L'oric is still looking for Osserc. L'oric is pretty much a free agent at this point, methinks.

That was different...that was just a memory. Maybe Osserc has become metrosexual or something.

Perhaps L'oric returned to make Greyfrog the new fake guardian of KL.
Suck it Errant!

#16 User is offline   The_Saviour 

• Recruit

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

I don't think the Queen of Dreams is finished with L'oric just yet, and he seems to have a respect for Leoman i dont think he would abandon him completly to Dunsparrow.
"A succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words." Captain Lull.

#17 User is offline   sacase 

• Recruit

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

View PostAptorian, on Feb 3 2009, 11:31 PM, said:

I thought it was a funny scene. For me it's main purpose was to show that there was more to Skinner than just being a big scary dark knight. He showed humor, curiosity, fearlessness and displayed pure awesomeness in his taking down the Liosan and then just walking on.

Good point about it showing Skinner in a more humane way. I also think it was to show that yeah, skinner is a bad ass, but there are a lot more powerful beings out there than him. It was used to humble skinner since he smacked down the TL's he got smacked down the same way.

#18 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:09 AM

Anyone think Skinner will go off his nut being the KiC?
Suck it Errant!

#19 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Feb 7 2009, 04:09 AM, said:

Anyone think Skinner will go off his nut being the KiC?

Possibly, unless he is already insane but covers it up.

Something I have wondered about is what kind of defect Skinner has. In one of the earlier books, MoI or HOC, the CG talks about how none of the persons in his House would whole, physically or mentally. So, what kind of issuses does Skinner have? Compared to guys like Rhulad, Munug, Bidathal and Kallor, Skinner comes off as moderately normal.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

The vow is his flaw. It has made the avowed dislocated from the rest of humanity. Their memories are becomming diffuse.

Also the bit where Kyle runs into Skinner early in the book didn't exactly paint the picture of a complettely sane individual.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users