• You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Forum Nostalgia

#21 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

View PostBrynjar, on Jan 15 2009, 12:39 PM, said:

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Jan 15 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

The Pride and Pisshead Inn opened and that's where we all drank and fended of Fenris (the bouncerdog).

Was that me? I seem to remember calling myself Fenris/Fenre/Fenrisulven at some point in my stay here, but I can't remember participating in the P&P Inn.

I also miss Marduk. And Pale, if anyone remembers him. He was also good fun. But I'm fucking glad that cunt snake is gone.

Should you even be posting in the Inn? I'm sure you're not allowed into this forum until Liverpool beat Man Utd at Old Trafford :p

On another note, I've been here about three years and still haven't reached 1000 posts... and I saw someone the other day who'd posted that much and had only been here about six months or something! I feel old and slow. And sexy.

This post has been edited by Yellow: 15 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

Don't fuck with the Culture.

#22 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

That was probably me. And, it isn't a good thing... just means I have too much time on my hands.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#23 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Jan 15 2009, 04:39 AM, said:

Am I the only one who misses Marduk (Wiggles)?

One of the most interesting forum members to have around. "I'm bored, and banning follows boredom like a ten-dollar hooker follows a line of coke into the bathroom."

I hope to make the short story writing contest an annual event btw.

Only annual? :p

#24 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

@Yellow: There's a difference between spamming - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE - and quality posts. Perhaps one day I'll be doing the latter.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 15 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#25 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Jan 15 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

That was probably me. And, it isn't a good thing... just means I have too much time on my hands.

Yeah, it was you! God damn, have you only been here six months?

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Errr, yeah but I lurked for a long-time before that. And, for the most part my posts aren't spamming. Most of them are from the Book and Discussion forums. Could also be AIJ whose torrential posting puts me to shame.

Edit: Look at me trying to defend myself! :p

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 15 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#27 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

When I first arrived the Spam wars had ended.
Gamet, Lady A, Rallick Nom, Snake, Brood, Gothos, Fooler, Malarion, Jonzey, Anomander, ChrisW, Fanderay, Rodeo were all big posters and were already a community.
I was far more of a lurker back then posting only infrequently. I made a huge noob error and posted a book related thread in the Inn. No one killed me, luckily.
We were still with Infopop back then and every month the admins would put out stats and people would always be trying to beat or top one another. Rodeo was alaways the biggest thread starter, Rallick and Snake competed for top poster.
Snake was an idiot.
Rallick was a really nice guy from what I remember, one of the first to be helpful to me and actually reply to my posts.
The original Bottle from memory wasn't so bad when I showed up, even when the DB was created though it got progressively worse over time leading to his leaving.
Marduk showed up and at first I thought he was a real prick, like a lot of people I knew in real life. As time passed however I took him less seriously, and once that was done well I found he added to the forums, not much but a bit. He even modded games if I recal.

Loki (known as Lokirri at wirst) and Shiara show up. Things get active for a whole since they threw themselves right in.
Orfantal and GeasII were still around and flirting badly.

Then Pots shows up and CI becomes more active. No one I liked debating more with than those two. pots was fierce but she always listened. The month of us three messing around on the forums during the first Contest was great fun.

Sombra used to post a lot more back in the day, then he joined up and stopped for a while, now he's back, although a bit less. I really like his posts, always dirty minded and cleverly perverse in some way, but you can never hold it against him for some reason.

There was also that guy with the Angel avatar, can't remember his name for the life of me. A good contributor though.

I still miss Lady A.

And what ever happened to Baverel (spelling might be and issue)?

Bad left for awhile then came back, then left.

That's all I remember for now.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#28 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Wow, I joined a couple of months ago and suddenly feel like such a noob when I realise how long some people have been here. Wish I'd discovered the series (and consequently this site) much earlier in life.

I have to say, my most memorable moment is having the forum crash mere hours after I finally registered (I lurked for a couple of weeks). I was so paranoid that I somehow had caused the whole thing and Abyss was coming to eat my brainz...
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#29 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

I'm waaay too 'young' to be doing nostalgia, but Mezla versus the spider was a special night for me.
souls are for wimps

#30 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

@Mezla - Crap, I just added your name to my "members lost in the warrens thread" by accident - sorry, dude.

When I first arrived everyone was getting into the Houses and I read some of Mal's writing and launched into a naive critique which offended him somewhat...luckily we became friends after that and spent a lot of time reviewing and critiquing one another's writing. Shin used to post up the odd piece of work (and yes, I recall you showed more than a little talent, mate) as did Brood, actually and Lady A amongst others. I became Knight of HH Death under Mal for a while after that (woo hee).

The Pride and Pisshead was always fun (pint of Fiddler's Elbow, please) and the Malazan Book of The Forum (Gardens of The Tea Spoon and Memories of Ice Tea spring to mind) which were my shining moments (downhill all the way thereafter, I fear)

Flaming Pants anyone?

PS - Shin, I would restart the Gladiator Duels if I could recall the rules!

This post has been edited by Fist Gamet: 15 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Victory is mine!

#31 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

I've only been here 2 years, but the forum has evolved a good bit in those two years, so I can manage some nostalgia. :p

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#32 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

i've said it before and i'll say it again:

the tales of Helmet.

that and the original wars thread, back in '02. though the degeneration of Abyss' win thread into an out and out battle last year was pretty funny, especially as rep was
an added incentive to over the top descriptions of ludicrous violence.
meh. Link was dead :(

#33 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

View PostFrookenhauer, on Jan 15 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

I'm waaay too 'young' to be doing nostalgia, but Mezla versus the spider was a special night for me.

well I'm glad someone enjoyed it because it was a night of pure, unadulterated terror for me :p

View PostFist Gamet, on Jan 15 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

@Mezla - Crap, I just added your name to my "members lost in the warrens thread" by accident - sorry, dude.

My gender identity shall be forever lost in the warrens, at least!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#34 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

View PostMentalist, on Jan 16 2009, 05:52 AM, said:

hmm
I remeber joining a year and a half ago. a bunc of us noobs joind then--and it was soon after that the WIN thread came to be...

Me, Bubba, Bent and Vengeance spammed there insanely. q21 joined later.

Yeah the 5 of you plus zanth xander rly and a bit earlier apt have really changed this place. Brood used to be the only one crazy enough to post as much as you guys did.

aij is the latest. Apt is still prodigious.

Also even though he's still around, I miss TT. His man love and insults with brood illy tiste were always good value.

Those are the times I feel were when i forged my place here. RodeoRanch, Brood, Illy, Abyss, Tiste, Shiara were the main posters, before marduk came back as wiggles, after BAD left and took his damn vampire slayer with him, when the religion discussions were rife with flaming, when the flirting thread was full of girls (ok like 3), before rep but after posts in the inn didn't count.

Times always change. I agree that as new people join, certain things repeat themselves, but I also see the changes in myself and the older posters as we get older and have something different to contribute.

This post has been edited by Cold Iron: 15 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

#35 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Oh Good Grief! Have I been here that long? [checks] Yes, it would appear I have.
I tend to stay out of a lot of the memes and goings on here but...

Thinks...

The appearance of the Discussion Board and the various shennanigans with Bottle (the first and still the most annoying)
The parodies...No Mezla, you're not a saddo for that twinge of self satisfied joy you felt when you first appeared in one; I had it too.
The meets... Discovering there's actual human beings behind the pixels on my screen (Not literally of course, that'd just be weird!).

And probably all too many more things that escape my age addled mind at this juncture
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#36 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on Jan 15 2009, 10:32 PM, said:

well I'm glad someone enjoyed it because it was a night of pure, unadulterated terror for me :p

That is precisely the reason it was so delicious.
souls are for wimps

#37 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on Jan 16 2009, 07:19 AM, said:

Then Pots shows up and CI becomes more active. No one I liked debating more with than those two. pots was fierce but she always listened. The month of us three messing around on the forums during the first Contest was great fun.

I still miss pots' enthusiasm and your vast knowledge in the DB, man.

And I'll never forget dibs stabbing me in the back so so hard in the first merc mafia.

I even wrote him (and pots) into a short story I started, one of the bad guys was called dibs.

This post has been edited by Cold Iron: 15 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

#38 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

View PostCold Iron, on Jan 15 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

View PostDarkwatch, on Jan 16 2009, 07:19 AM, said:

I still miss pots' enthusiasm and your vast knowledge in the DB, man.

And I'll never forget dibs stabbing me in the back so so hard in the first merc mafia.

I even wrote him (and pots) into a short story I started, one of the bad guys was called dibs.

I've started to stay away from the DB. It just goes in circles. And most of the time no one listens to anything anyone says.

Though it's good to know you're still trying to keep things balanced in that place.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#39 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

View PostDarkwatch, on Jan 16 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

I've started to stay away from the DB. It just goes in circles. And most of the time no one listens to anything anyone says.

Though it's good to know you're still trying to keep things balanced in that place.

I have an idea for a new thread... probably belongs in the inn but it will have the grace of a db thread :p stay tuned.

#40 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

I lurked for probably a good year before joining, since I was still catching up on the series and didn't feel I had much to contribute. Once I joined I discovered the Inn and that was pretty much it for me...now it's my happy place. And I have to give Apt a large portion of the credit for keeping me here, he brought a whole new meaning to spamming...and a much higher quality spam for that matter.

And Avatar Day was pretty fun and hilarious :p

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users