• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Forum Nostalgia

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

What events and people of the past do you feel particularily defined your malazanempire forum experience? What do you remember fondly, or at least look back at now and think were funny/interesting?

In the beginning, Anomander, Shadowlord, Gothos, Rodeo, Malarion, Brood, Fooler, Lady Athelian, Tayschrenn, Apsalar and Fist Gamet were the people I thought of when I thought of as being "malazanempire.com" when I first joined.

People joined various houses and "warred" amongst each other. Malarion was King of High House Death, and that's all I remember offhand.
The Pride and Pisshead Inn opened and that's where we all drank and fended of Fenris (the bouncerdog).

There were the days of the Fool revolution and Snake spamming all over the place. The DB opened up and I spent hours sparring with Fool and Bottle (the 1st bottle that is).

The gladiator writing contests were a ton of fun. Drinksinbars was always my favorite, and he beat me every time, rightfully so! :)

Am I the only one who misses Marduk (Wiggles)? He caused lots of problems, but I found him amusing.

Did Mal ever publish (or try to publish) his book? I think I still have his email somewhere, but I've been bad and let it go dusty.

I hope to make the short story writing contest an annual event btw.

Add your memories to this thread of nostaligia!
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Jan 14 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

Am I the only one who misses Marduk (Wiggles)?

No. He was annoying but entertaining anyway. I miss Gothos too.

In a different category, I miss Potsherds. There are others that made less dramatic exits but rarely post any more that I miss too.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:55 AM

Me and Pots got into it pretty good when I was a Noob......I remember Marduk but only as Wiggles.

#4 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

I hated Marduk. So mu ch so that I took a half year break from the forums because I was going to lose my mind if I kept reading his posts. Kinda embarrassing now. :)

Hard to believe I signed up as RodeoRanch on the Malazan forums in January 2001. I haven't posted all the time throughout the years but I've been around. It's been good. Laughed a lot. A ridiculous amount of laughing.

#5 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:02 AM

Damnit I cross posted another thread.

Ok this one is about the good times, that one is about the ppl.

I think the one thing that made me feel most at home was the folken avatar day. Yes it wasn't that long ago but it involved almost all the top posters at the time and it was lots of fun.

#6 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:10 AM

Yes, the avatar madness was epic. I don't think I've ever laughed so much on this forum (and that's saying something - the laughs are mostly what I come here for).

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#7 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

One thing I'd love to see is Abyss come out of character.

#8 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:22 AM

The Avatar day great....I really did laugh out loud.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:33 AM

That reminds me of that half day where I made a Jen'isand Rul alt. Jen had changed to Folken because he was tired of the confusion, and I quickly created a Jen'account that mirrored his set-up.

The coup-de-grace was when I altered his sig to "Schumacher smells like pee".

God he was so pissed! :)

#10 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

I hate to say the Hottest Chicks thread...but yeah.

I think the defining moment was when I went into the Reaper's Gale forum...and found dozens, nay, scores of fellow Malazanites with which to gossip, speculate and argue (peacefully). It was great to meet you all. :)

I also remember when kallor hung out around here...where's he gone?

-AIJ, hoping he is mentioned in a defining moment...
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#11 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

The gladiator matches were a lot of fun, I miss those..

Generally, I think what I'm most nostalgic about is the writing. The Deathmatches, the roleplaying, the malazan parodies and so on.

And the fool rebellion was a lot of fun too. Especially when the fools became mods of the inn for a day :)

... It is quite ridiculous that I've been posting here on a regular basis since 2002.. Jeez, It's a bit scary
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#12 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Jan 15 2009, 05:39 AM, said:

The Pride and Pisshead Inn opened and that's where we all drank and fended of Fenris (the bouncerdog).

Was that me? I seem to remember calling myself Fenris/Fenre/Fenrisulven at some point in my stay here, but I can't remember participating in the P&P Inn.

I also miss Marduk. And Pale, if anyone remembers him. He was also good fun. But I'm fucking glad that cunt snake is gone.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#13 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

Brynjar! Sorry, you should be on my list of peoples in my OP. Messremb too. I'm sure I've forgotten others as well.

You know... now that the writing contest is over for the moment, we could revive a gladiator contest. I'd like to see the contributers try their hand at one of those (myself included)!
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#14 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

when i joined the parodies were in full swing and gamet was writing some awesome stuff. i remmeber doing a lot of writing back then,s tarting with ultimate death match i think it was me and bad in the final and i was using druss or he was using druss, haha that was great. then we had to invent our own and me and shin always met int he second round :)

bottle was one of those people you would always bounce off in the db, while wiggles i could spam at for hours, i know many didnt like him but he was quite funny and added a different take to the forum. I fondly remember my first game of mafia, and have slowly sunken into amfia heaven now with an ever expanding but changign line up of players.

macros' animations, some doozies over the years :)

i always remember how rodeo never posted pics of himself but teased people with like weird phooshop manipulations of liek wireframe rodeo :thumbsup:

damnit its near five years till the day that i signed up, so many have come nad gone, still remember fondly all the ones who were here when i joined that are sadly not about. need to do some writing now, after mafia of course :thumbsup:

#15 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Jan 15 2009, 01:42 PM, said:

Brynjar! Sorry, you should be on my list of peoples in my OP. Messremb too. I'm sure I've forgotten others as well.

I'm still occasionally around - am doing some catching up at the moment. I've only just finished RotCG and am working through TtH now (Ahh Christmas is soo nice)

Shall have to get back into the book forums and enlighten the masses with my profound insights ;-)
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#16 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

The thing I remember most vividly from when i started using the forums ( I guess around summer 05) was that Tiste Simeon was having a competition with himself to see if he could get one of his posts as the top post on every forums so that when you opened up the front page it was just a column of 'Tiste Simeon' I looked at his comments and thought, what a twat and didn't bother joining up until 12 months later when he had gone.

I'll always remember fondly 12 months ago when I got engaged all the friendly well wishing rep I got from everyone, it was at the start of the rep wars and I must have got about 4000 rep in a single evening.

Also I liked Iccy and Mappo go to White Castle.
I AM A TWAT

#17 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

The Bottle and Marduk era was interesting for the sheer polarisation. Bottle would leave me apopleptic with rage quite regularly and Marduk was a total dick but it made for eventful reading. I do not miss Snake and his spam related banality. I said on another thread that I thought he was retarded and then found out he was studying medicine! There was much rejoicing in PigDog land when the Spam Era passed.

I used to really enjoy reading the Deathmatches (glad you are starting another one DiBs) but I never really have the time to formulate creative thought processes to take part in any of that kind of stuff. This place is brain candy to me! I might have a go this time since I have found myself with an inordinate amount of free time in New Jersey!

I also remember when I joined that Shin used to really hark back to the good old days. I recall tentatively posting in the beginning and to think that I can now contribute to a thread on forum nostalgia seems silly!

I think I joined when the board had a black and orange colour scheme but that feels like something I may have imagined......

EDIT ~ Oh yes, and I remember the rather embarrassing pride I felt the first time I got into one of Gamet's parodies :)

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 15 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#18 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

View PostTerez, on Jan 15 2009, 05:51 AM, said:

View PostShinrei no Shintai, on Jan 14 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

Am I the only one who misses Marduk (Wiggles)?

No. He was annoying but entertaining anyway. I miss Gothos too.

heh I guess that's nice to hear.
for me the best malazan board was back in the first days when the original Anomander Rake frequented the place, when there were really not many members and everything felt more like... yes Gothos say it... more cliche :-)
there's something about things not being very popular that gets warm feelings from me. And back in the day, most people knew each other rather well, while now when I log onto the boards it's mostly strangers posting. but I am by nature a nostalgic man.

also, bring back 'dukie. he was annoying as hell and I would stab him in the back if I got the chance, but yeah... entertaining. also, a guru for cynics.

hai btw.

This post has been edited by Gothos: 15 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

View PostCold Iron, on Jan 15 2009, 12:13 AM, said:

One thing I'd love to see is Abyss come out of character.

I don't even know what that means.

- Abyss, doesn't even know what that means. :)

But seriously, folks...

My key all time nostalgic moments were two-fold... I had picked up GotM, DG and MoI in mmpb and read them over a fairly short timeframe in 2002 or so... HoC was out in tpb and i was fairly determined to wait for the mmpb.... and then i found the forum... i think it took about three days of discussion before i left work in the middle of the day, bought the first HoC i could find and then read about half of it that afternoon.

Then of course MT was coming out and i ordered it from amazon.ca to get a better price. Naturally amazon.uk had it two months earlier at a higher price and after about a week of you people getting it and starting to post spoilers i broke like a twig, cancelled the .ca order and paid a stupid price to get MT speed shipped to me from .uk.

I have fond recolections of the rep wars, and, of course the key moment where I WIN and drop kicked Apt's butt all over the forums. Sadly lost in the forum flush but still poignant.

People-wise... i dunno, i mean i remember names and discussions but people come and go and who are you people...? and what am i doing here? hey, is that a penny!? ooooh, shiny....

- Abyss, still wins.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is online   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

hmm
I remeber joining a year and a half ago. a bunc of us noobs joind then--and it was soon after that the WIN thread came to be...

Me, Bubba, Bent and Vengeance spammed there insanely. q21 joined later.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users