• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ryllandaras Contradiction???

#41 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

Because in DG Osseric is made aware of his placement in Raracku's memory by Loric and he eventually leaves. So why is he in the Horn at the beginning of RotCG?

that was not Osseric at the horn, right?
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#42 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

View Postfoolio, on Jan 14 2009, 04:12 PM, said:

that was not Osseric at the horn, right?

It was indeed. Osserc was taking a nap and Shen was drawing on his power causing all sorts of mischief. The CG took out Shen and woke Osserc, who then hid himself in Kyles sword.

#43 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

It was indeed. Osserc was taking a nap and Shen was drawing on his power causing all sorts of mischief. The CG took out Shen and woke Osserc, who then hid himself in Kyles sword.

I thought Cowl killed whoever was at the horn after the Greymane killed Shen...I thought Shen had been tapping into whoevers power for a long time. We just saw Osserc rescue his son not too long ago...I am so confused...
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

We saw Osserc in a memory warren. It is quite possible that while dreaming Osserc is able to manifest in other realms or even in physical form.

And it really was Osserc. Kyle's sword got all weird when Osserc was attacked by Cowl.

#45 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

We saw Osserc in a memory warren. It is quite possible that while dreaming Osserc is able to manifest in other realms or even in physical form.

And it really was Osserc. Kyle's sword got all weird when Osserc was attacked by Cowl.

So do you suppose Osserc was caught unawares by shen, trapped and used, or was he asleep and allowed himself to be syphoned by shen or what?
Did Cowl actually do anything to him?
I thought in one of Kyles dream sequences when he is following Osserc and Anomander he thinks that the guy at the Horn was "shorter and more powerfullty built"...

This post has been edited by foolio: 14 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

#46 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

I doubt that Osserc or any ascendant for that matter would allow a mage to syphon his power with out his permission. This means that Osserc was either in a deep deep sleep or he let Shen do it. I think he was out cold.

I think Cowl wounded Osserc and that's why he chose to take a ride in the sword.

All though there is also something that suggests that Osserc predicted what path Kyle would take and used the sword to get access to the Shadow Keep.

#47 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

I think Cowl wounded Osserc and that's why he chose to take a ride in the sword.

So cowl can sneak up on Osserc and wound him but cant take out Topper? Just kidding. I am just being a smartass...

This post has been edited by foolio: 14 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

#48 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 13 2009, 11:41 PM, said:

On the Jade Giants; what's this whole shindig about saving them? explain pl0x.

Would you like to be one of the souls trapped in there?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#49 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

Fair enough...but I wasn't aware they knew the souls were inside. Guess it was obvious. How do they intend to free them, shatter them? Get them away from the otataral? Get another ex-priest to get jade hands?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#50 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 15 2009, 03:49 AM, said:

Fair enough...but I wasn't aware they knew the souls were inside. Guess it was obvious. How do they intend to free them, shatter them? Get them away from the otataral? Get another ex-priest to get jade hands?

Blues might have the jade thing down - remember he got breathed upon during the attempted... execution?

I have no idea how they'd physically excavate multiple giants that big, so it's gotta be something metaphysical. A delivery of souls like Heboric tried to do or something else that possibly Blues can do.

All this is pure conjecture - Blues may not even be carrying the jade giant football, but I like the idea of it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#51 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:15 AM

Probably useless maybe even wrong info. I seem to recall some comment by whomever about Pearl's screwup with the Claws in Malazan so that puts ROTCG after Tavore's excursion into Malazan. Toc-the Younger's forty-third death places the period before Toc-the-Younger's death

This post has been edited by Wampyry: 27 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

#52 User is offline   Cowl's Disciple 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

View PostWampyry, on Jan 16 2009, 01:15 PM, said:

Probably useless maybe even wrong info. I seem to recall some comment by whomever about Pearl's screwup with the Claws in Malazan so that puts ROTCG after Tavore's excursion into Malazan. Toc-the Younger's forty-third death places the period before Toc-the-Elder's death

On this note I need some clarification, as I recall Tavore's trip was to Malaz city (where Kalam and Apsalar decimated The Claw) and Tayschrenn was in a tower, not getting involved. That tied into ROTCG with Tayschrenn in his tower meditating or whatever he was doing, only the tower in ROTCG was in Unta if I'm right. Is this move BY Tays explained or are we to assume this is a casual mistake of the author? Or, am I simply noticing things that don't matter at all?

Sorry for being OT!

With respect to Ryllandaras, well done to you all, I'd forgotten all about that encounter! I hope this is explained better in the books because as it stands it seems somewhat incongruous. On a basic level the Ryllandaras from earlier in the series didn't strike me as a being of power on the same level that we saw in ROTCG.

#53 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:15 AM

I'm assuming that Tayschrenn moved in the interim.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#54 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

I like the idea that the 7C Ryllandras is syphoning off all his crazy onto the Quon Tali Were/jackal form. The entity from the earlier books was smart, calculating, all around pretty benevolent for a D'ivers. The sanest one we have seen so far.

Maybe one was the Soletaken form and one was the D'ivers? Him switching which one would be sane and which one wouldn't be.

Dessimbelackis, Dassem, Dessembrae, Dassembrae...maybe they(Ryllandras) are just named the same and have nothing to do with each other.

This one is super "evil" and needed to be taken down. Mission accomplished in an awesome way. One of the best scenes in the series IMO. Seguleh, Dassem Sword, Urko, and an old guard versus big bad wolf. With only the ones that stayed in the Deadhouse (Urko). Had some special patronage (Temper), or were somewhere along the path to Ascendancy (Braven Tooth...well maybe certainly not your average E8). I like it. Great idea. Keep em coming.

Sincerely,
L'oric

ps edited in the (Ryllandras) so as not to confuse people with the sentence. Sorry about that Lisheo.

This post has been edited by L'oric: 11 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#55 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Dessimbelackis... Is nothing to do with Dessembrae. Who is Dassem, and Dassembrae is just a variant spelling. :) It's entirely possible that Ryllandras split his soul to kick out the crazy... The ritual that caused the whole mess was probably of a similar nature to the ritual Dessimbelackywacky used to split his own soul, so I can't see why Ryllandras couldn't manage the same thing, if he was, say, once a powerful mage in his own right, or even just a man with exceptional willpower. Also, in TtH, there is an example of something like that.
Spoiler

“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#56 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

View PostLisheo, on Feb 11 2009, 06:13 AM, said:

Spoiler

Not Chaos - the floor of the Abyss. He went through Chaos to get back though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#57 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Ah... Well, even more unusual. I wonder if he encountered the Turtle of the Abyss though? :)
Cheers, Amph.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#58 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

At the end there was an intresting sentence where a d'iver is asked what happened to his other the D'iver says the others acknowledged him as superior or some such. To me that means that if both the Ryllandras are the same and they met they would have a similiar test of wills. Which brings up the point of does distance make a difference in D'ivers. As of right now to me it seems that they all stay within a score or so of miles from each other. Continental divides might allow for a servering.

Sincerely,
L'oric
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#59 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

I doubt 7C Ryllandaras would accept QT Rylly into their multiple personality. The latter probably wouldn't even remember his wolf counterparts.
Suck it Errant!

#60 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostCougar, on Jan 9 2009, 04:22 PM, said:

I also think that the way the Ho story line read it looked like a retcon by ICE to make it tie into Ryllandaras as part of the explanation, to me it was just clumsy. Ryllandaras should have been a different character in ICE's book, why he felt the need to make him the same dude I don't know, I just didn't really believe the explanation if that doesn't sound too mental.

Just got around to reading TTH, finally. Also decided to join this rather spiffing forum/ empire thingy. Had to really as RotCG is fresh in my memory and i'm a tad confused by a lot of timeline discrepancies, particularly surrounding Traveller and his chum Ereko. I love these books but after reading RotCG and TTH i'm left with far too many unanswered questions that the size and scope of the series normally allows me to answer, if that makes sense !?! Am I alone in hoping SE and ICE take more care with the remaining novels ? I know that sounds dickish and presumptious but after a hard days toil, followed by the crap holocaust that is my daughter's nappy, I need my stories like a crack chav mum needs Jeremy Kyle. :p
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users