• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite Scenes and Favourite Characters! Obvious Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:35 AM

View PostSindriss, on Jan 17 2009, 08:57 AM, said:

Tbh I hated that moment. Cussers killing off or in the case of silchas ruin hurting severely, dragon soletaken ascendents? Dunno, just doesn't fit with my idea of fantasy :)

That "RG should have been called CUSSERS, MOTHER****ING CUSSERS" springs to mind... :p

To be honest, I prefer when QB uses his kooky rituals, i.e. the one he used against the Pannions in MoI. But it's good to know that he can unleash hell when needed...
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#42 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 17 2009, 07:35 AM, said:

Tbh I hated that moment. Cussers killing off or in the case of silchas ruin hurting severely, dragon soletaken ascendents? Dunno, just doesn't fit with my idea of fantasy :)

That "RG should have been called CUSSERS, MOTHER****ING CUSSERS" springs to mind... :harhar:

With ROTCG as the sequel CUSSERS, MOTHER****ING CUSSERS STRIKES BACK..
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#43 User is offline   The Drum 

• Marine Core Sappers Club

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

View PostUrizen, on Jan 17 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

View PostAin't_It_Just_, on Jan 17 2009, 07:35 AM, said:

Tbh I hated that moment. Cussers killing off or in the case of silchas ruin hurting severely, dragon soletaken ascendents? Dunno, just doesn't fit with my idea of fantasy B)

That "RG should have been called CUSSERS, MOTHER****ING CUSSERS" springs to mind... :)

With ROTCG as the sequel CUSSERS, MOTHER****ING CUSSERS STRIKES BACK..

RETURN OF THE MOTHER****ING CUSSERS is in the pipe line
:harhar:
Dem bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones.

#44 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

What about RISE OF THE MOTHER****ING CUSSERS: THE KABOOM WARS?
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#45 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Or even, I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER****ING CUSSERS ON THIS MOTHER****ING SKYKEEP!

#46 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

enough of this now? i think we should return to the purpose of this thread.
(sorry if i sound like a mod, but i cannot help reminding of it):harhar:
and btw, QB was a massive powerhouse all along, remember what he did to raest and icarium? he just liked being clever more than that and hid his power as far as possible to not gain attention of beings even more powerful.
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#47 User is offline   The Drum 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

View PostSeguleh 1st, on Jan 18 2009, 02:34 PM, said:

enough of this now? i think we should return to the purpose of this thread.
(sorry if i sound like a mod, but i cannot help reminding of it) :harhar:
and btw, QB was a massive powerhouse all along, remember what he did to raest and icarium? he just liked being clever more than that and hid his power as far as possible to not gain attention of beings even more powerful.

:Huh!:

Like I said earlier when he was young he played tricks on lots of people and obviously enjoys outsmarting enemies more than just unleashing hell.
I personally think the reason he's kept his head low was due to his friendship with the BridgeBurners and especially Kalem. By staying a squad mage he could keep an eye out for his mates, while now he's a high mage he forced to spend time with the authority figures that he dislikes.

#48 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

i think he rather kept his head down for not being found by ST and torn to pieces for his treason. and sorry for repeating you.
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#49 User is offline   The Drum 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

No problem it's nice to actually agree with some one for a change :harhar:

#50 User is offline   El Bogan 

• Recruit

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:16 AM

Favourite scene for me would be Karsa having a cry when he recognizes his dog. Good stuff

#51 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

A very touching scene was when Harllo returned home, and Mew and Hinty rushed up to hug him, and Stonny started crying. Makes you think...
Suck it Errant!

#52 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

It is entirely possible that the "stone" that QB put in Menandore's "pocket" had something to do with QB's initial badass assault. I.E: The assault originated from far closer than they figured.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#53 User is offline   killhum-makor 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

By far my favorite scene, which is also one of my favorite scene of any book ever written, was during the siege of capustan. Chapter sixteen of MOI when Iktovan riding his horse towards the barracks, acompanied by a unit of grey swords. The fighting is so intense. Steve describes piles of bodies, injured tenescowri being pulled back and eaten, and woman raping fallen soldiers. I love that fact that Iktovan is extremely outnumbered and you think his unit is dead, when suddenly they rise up from the bodies, and when Itkovan is about to die, when Brukalan arrives.

doesnt get any better than this....
"Captured pikes were being passed forwards to those peasants nearest him. In moments, those longhandled weapons would begin jabbing in at all sides. Against this , neither Itkovian's nor his horses armour would be sufficient.
Twin tusks I am yours. To this, the last moment.
"
Break"
His warhorse was waiting for that command."

I love how his horse is also fighting, trampling and kicking people. Then Karnadas sacrifices himself to save Itkovian. Then you see how disciplined and honorable the grey swords really are when the answer Rath Feners summons. They know they are going to die but they wont disobey when feners reve is invoked. When Brukalins explains what they will do, its so full of martial manliness and glory.
"We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths"

My favorite character is Icarium. His story is so sad. Even though hes a ruthless mass murderer, I cant help but sympathize with him. Hes also one of the most powerful characters.

This post has been edited by killhum-makor: 20 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

#54 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:59 AM

The entire Siege of Capustan is pretty fantastic.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#55 User is offline   killhum-makor 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

I read somewhere in a book review that the siege of Capustan was overdone. I think thats ridicolous. Ithink what made that battle so awesome was the fact that it was overboard.

#56 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Overdone? What the hell does that mean?

Scene in BH when Barathol rescued Chaur was very good.
Suck it Errant!

#57 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

View Postkillhum-makor, on Jan 20 2009, 02:13 AM, said:

I read somewhere in a book review that the siege of Capustan was overdone. I think thats ridicolous. Ithink what made that battle so awesome was the fact that it was overboard.

Nothing in that battle was overdone, considering the circumstances. SE wrote that section beautifully. Was it horrifically bloody? Yes. Was that a result of the conditions that SE himself set on the Pannion's forces & Tennescowri? Yes. Was Gruntle's story line over the top? Well, the creation of a Mortal Sword of Treach would I imagine require intense circumstances, as well as the death of a God's chosen force (the Grey Swords & Fener.)

#58 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

This may sound odd, but I don't think Gruntle murdering hundreds (thousands?) of Pannions was realistic. Granted he had support and only had to defend doorways and corridors but I dunno...

This post has been edited by Ain't_It_Just_: 20 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Suck it Errant!

#59 User is offline   killhum-makor 

• Recruit

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

I agree with Aint_it_just on the gruntle part. When I read the gruntle scenes I couldnt get into it, cause it was unrealistic. However it definitely wasnt overdone, think about its a large scale battle were a city was undersiege, of course theres gonna be a lot going on. Thats what I like about Steve's writing of battle, the attention to detail and the epic scope of the battles. I like how you get to see how the characters feel when they have to kill or be killed. He did a good job with the siege, because of his attention to detail. I felt like I was really there. If people complain about gore they shouldnt read a book about war.

#60 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Come on, if you're magically enhanced against being tired, your swords don't get too blunt to kill someone and you're holding a position with very limited attack approaches, you could for absolutely ages against a foe that has one tactic, charge like a dumbass. It's just logical progression of a few unnatural things (Gruntle's stamina, the Tenescowri's fervour) being introduced into a siege. And it's fucking awesome too.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users