• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite Scenes and Favourite Characters! Obvious Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

I love all the scenes with the Moranth in them. They are just awesome, with their old-fashioned rules in combat. Like when in RotCG, after the parley with the CG, V'thell bows and says, "A privilege to have met you upon the field." Superb.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#82 User is offline   Toc 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Wherever darkness lay and light play, shadows are born.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:14 AM

My favorite character is Quick Ben, and the best scene in the series so far is when Quick is defending the mountain/hillside in the end of MoI, throwing large, fire-infused rocks around on the poor fiends :)

#83 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

I know, it's fantastic when QB messes around with these piddly little rituals but unleashes hell.
Suck it Errant!

It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#84 User is offline   Seguleh 1st 

• Warrior of High House Abyss

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

to QB i just have to say:

"Even easier to make a hole in the ground." , and down went Kallor. its just amazing.

Seg1st, can laugh about this one time and again
Innocence is only a virtue, lass, when it is temporary.
Cotillion to Apsalar, "House of Chains"

#85 User is offline   GoingBuddha 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

My favorite charecter is without a doubt, Kruppe. Love him. My favorite scene is when Icarium asks Mappo, after the two have been wandering the desert for millenium, about the type of boat found under Iskaral Pusts' mountain. Had me laughing out loud for minutes.

#86 User is offline   Unwitnessed 

• Recruit

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Anything to do with the Ma

#87 User is offline   Unwitnessed 

• Recruit

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

oops sorry about the above post. Figure I cannot do this during work! #$#% websense...

#88 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

No problem. :D

I love anything with Raest in it. He is just so dry you can't help but love him.
Suck it Errant!

#89 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

Quick Ben for sure, the scene in TBH when Tavore's fleet meets the Edur fleet. Bottle shines there aswell, but Quick rocks em with the all-or-nothing wall of destruction bluff.
Excellent thread by the way, bringing back many memorable, ehh, memories :p

#90 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I love the scorpion fight in HoC. Like cockfights but wholesome and fun for all the family.
Suck it Errant!

#91 User is offline   AlanH 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

One quote/scene which jumps to mind - well it isn't really a scene, but anywho - is the turn of phrase in TtH where Erikson describes the unconscious guard as "Alive but currently unwilling to acknowledge it." What a great line. No emphasis on it either, just thrown in there and easily missed.

A great scene would be in GoTM just after Whiskeyjack and the BB have just been flown to the lake outside Darujhistan, and Whiskeyjack talks with the Gold Moranth about supplies and the one armed Moranth.

Also Kallor and Spinnock. (Spinnock? Damn, now I can't remember if I'm confusing characters - I'm currently re-reading book one you see) When Spinnock tries to talk Kallor out of it, and they both know he will fail. And when Kallor says how he never intended to kill Whiskeyjack.

Another Kallor scene would have to be his final scene in TtH when CB is taking AR to be buried, and he hears the birds and crying etc. And he says to his beer "Hear that? They're playing our song." (Paraphrased). What a show stopping line. Honestly, the build up then that line... That alone would have made the book worthwhile.

Final scene I'll talk about is the brothel scene in MT with Tehol and Bugg. I was laughing out loud. In fact, I was laughing almost every scene of theirs in MT. Loved the bit with the tea:

"Tehol: Bugg is this tea the yellow or the grey wool?
Bugg: The yellow I think.
<Silence as both sip their tea>
Tehol: Bugg are we poisoning ourselves?
Bugg: Only slightly.
<Slight pause. Then continues drinking.>"

Erikson writes that better. I was obviously paraphrasing, but when you read it from MT it's just hilarious.

Favourite character would have to be Cotillion or Kallor or Paran or Toc or Tehol or...

Too many to chose from, because there are few people I can genuinely hate 100%. And almost all are impossible to love 100% as well. None of them are innocent. Not in the slightest.
"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

#92 User is offline   Jumpy 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

To say my favorite character would be just too hard, because there are so many that I love.
Some favorites, off the top of my head: Temper, Nait, Trull, Fiddler, Kalam, Tehol, Pust, Duiker, Coltaine, Dassem, Karsa, and I'll stop now.

Any scene in RotCG with Nait being an asshole. Dude cracks me up non stop.

Most of the flashbacks in NoK.

Nait as he just about gets to have sex with that Moranth(which he'll do eventually).

Iron Bars vs Rhulad, vs Seregal, vs the 30ish Segulah.

Kruppe vs Caladan Brood and Burn's Hammer.

It makes me cry(almost), but when Squint kills Coltaine.

Finally, Kalam (with help from Apsalar) vs the entire Claw.

edit: Any scene with Tehol was worth the read.

This post has been edited by Jumpy: 05 March 2009 - 02:19 AM

#93 User is offline   Blues 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

I'm going to cheat here and add a few.

Moving/Emotional:
All the senseless deaths really got to me (Trull, Brys, Tehol*, Toc).

*where you think Tehol is dead at the end of MT...this really killed me when I thought about Brys and Hull also.

Adrenaline/Action:
Capustan Siege, Malaz City end of BH, Darujistan end of TtH. I often ignored everything else going on in my life until I could finish reading these scenes. To a lesser extent thats how most of SE's books read but these stuck out in my mind.

Gripping:
The escape from Ygathan really made me feel like I was under the burning city with the Bonehunters. I literally felt claustrophobic, which is just indicative of how good a storyteller SE is because I was reading that part while laying on the beach.

Funny:
Far too many individual scenes to list here but anything with Raest or Pust kills me. Obviously the whole Letherii crew too.

Favorite Character:
Ganoes

Runners Up:
Apsalar/Sorry, Toc

#94 User is offline   Jumpy 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Since I just read it: Sha'ik Reborn's first council of war. L'oric mentions that Ganoes Paran is still alive. She kicks everyone but Heboric out. Then cries in his arms. Heartbreaking.

I really feel for Felisin Elder. She was a real nasty bitch at some points during Deadhouse Gate's, but you could tell she was just being defensive, was lost, lonely, and afraid. It was pathetic. And then she faces off against Tavore, knowing full well she was going to die. Poor Felisin Elder.

For that matter, Felisin Younger is in some deep shit, too.

#95 User is offline   Sorry 

• Bonehunter

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:18 AM

Ya, I wonder what's going to go down with Felisin the Younger? Haven't seen her for a while...
I think my fav (future) scene will be when SE finally gets around to sticking Aps and Crokus back together so they can live happily ever after... though he'll probably kill one as they both see each other and ruin it all :)
"There is so much", 'So much?', "To give answer to, Gamet. Indeed, it takes words from the throat, yet the silence it leaves behind -- the silence screams."
-Tene Baralta to Fist Gamet

#96 User is offline   Sucka27 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

My favorite scenes are:

- The war in Midnight Tides with the gigantic falling bone towers
- Apsalar destroying claws in BH and Shadowthrone's awe - "Not even Dancer"
- The unexpected twist where the K'Chain Che'Malle kill Redmask.

Favorite characters: Sinn, Beak, Toc the Younger.

This post has been edited by Sucka27: 24 September 2009 - 05:30 AM

"Which god?"
"You were supposed to run away when I told you that."

#97 User is offline   cauthon 

• Geek in progress
  • Interests:photography, fantasy

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

Itkovian. Obviously. For his behaviour, for his character and for what he did for the T'Lan Imass.

#98 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

One? Just ONE!?

Gods that's hard....

Okay, fave character has to go to Fiddler. massive development, great pov, likeable yet not always that nice a guy. He's a more or less ordinary soldier in extraordinary circumstances and he just keeps plowing through and dragging others along with him. One of the clear 'heroes' of the series.

Fave scene... okay, fine, if i'm not going to cheat, it's Vathar Crossing in DG. Rioting refugees attacking the rebels, rafts of archers, Sorno's death, and butterflies... butterflies everywhere. It's just unlike anything i had read or have since.

- Abyss, ...hey that was hard....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#99 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

Can't choose one. No way. XD

Anomander Rake
Quick Ben
Cotillion
Draconus

I have a thing about powerful characters, but that's mainly because of the depth to all of those I mentioned - they're not just powerhouses, they're smart, they've got emotions, and they don't just kick ass, they're restrained.

Scenes...too hard, man. Rake in Darujhistan, Quick Ben and the sisters...though, if truth be told, the scenes I really like are ones in which events and power are implied, rather than explicitly described...bits that HINT at these guys' awesomeness. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#100 User is offline   Witness 

• Recruit
  • Favourite Food: Voyeur Soup

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

This isn't my favourite scene, but it's one that I've found myself thinking back to a lot recently:

In Deadhouse Gates, at the Vathar Crossing, when Duiker's rallying the common-folk and their answering roar drowns out the battle. Fantastic, I get shivers when I think of that.

In terms of favourite characters Iskaral Pust is definitely up there.
Personally I found the battle of the war-mules to be a let-down, but Iskaral's impression of riding at break-neck pace whilst his mule ("unfortunately") plods along was brilliant.

And of course, Coltaine's execution is right up there with favourite scenes.

This post has been edited by Witness: 25 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

“The world, someone once said, gives back what is given. In abundance. But then, as Kallor would point out, someone was always saying something. Until he got fed up and had them executed.”

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users